The Cougar Connection
Washington Avenue School News - 2/8/16
WHAT'S COMING UP...
Wednesday, 2/10 - Early Dismissal
Thursday 2/11-2/15 - School Closed
Friday 2/19 - Pizza Parlor Day
Monday 2/29 - SPECIAL EVENTS DAY
Saturday 3/12 - Circus Trip
Friday 4/1-Spelling Bee
Principal's Update - Mary Quigley
After watching the Super Bowl last night and seeing how well the Broncos played defense,
I was thinking about the life lesson that we might take away from this. With all the conversations about Cam and Peyton, I am imagining that many children maybe aspiring to be like them, when in reality it really was a team effort that helped the Broncos' win and didn't help the Panthers. So often at our primary level, children always think about being first, which sometimes causes problems when they are not first. Talking about the lessons learned from the Super Bowl may help some children put this in perspective. Thanks!
WAS PTO President's UPDATE Michelle Lease
PTO Thank you's
Ann Loftus, Shannon Matter, Nicole Polychronopoulos & Jamie Callahan for stepping up to run ASE next year! Thanks to all the room parents for their work in organizing the Valentines parties this week and all the parents who signed up to help with the party. Also a thank you to all the parents who have helped out on the carline & lunch/recess duty this year! We really appreciate it!
SPECIAL EVENTS DAY-Volunteers Needed!
SPECIAL EVENTS DAY (SED) - is just around the corner on Monday, February 29th!
Please sign up to help year's theme is “Wellness and Mindfulness.” and we will be transforming WELLNESS WONDERLAND and need your help! It truly takes a village to pull together SED...we thank you in advance for your time. Please note if you sign up and need to cancel at the last minute, we ask that you find a substitute since this is an entirely run PTO day and will be counting on you. Thank you!
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES STILL OPEN:
-Lead a classroom activity for the children in your child's grade. We are still in need of:
10 spots are open for the morning classroom activities
11 spots are open for the afternoon classroom activities.
We have developed easy-to-follow lesson plans for 4 classroom activities (yoga, mindful walk, healthy eating and making friends). Please indicate which one is of most interest to you in the note section when you sign up-http://vols.pt/H3LikE Any questions regarding classroom activities, please contact Kate Loatman (firstname.lastname@example.org).
-Decorate a bulletin board-we have 11 boards that still need to be decorated, see below for details. We are still in need of 3 desserts for the Special Events Day luncheon: Sign up here: http://vols.pt/2yi5so
We look forward to seeing you on SED! Any other ideas, thoughts or questions, please contact SED Chair Cathy Egan (email@example.com).
Special Events Day Bulletin Boards
(1) Decorate a bulletin board:
We have 11 bulletin boards spots still open and need your help! (complete the week or weekend prior to the event). We plan to turn the school into a Wellness Wonderland! This is a great opportunity for working parents who might not be able to take time off for Special Events Day to get involved the weekend before. You are welcome to decorate a bulletin board with your own creative idea, or choose from the list below. Sign up here: http://vols.pt/7P9THB
1. Eat this, Not that
2. What is a healthy snack?
3. Health Tips for your Family
4. February is Dental Health Month
5. Creative Ways to get Exercise
6. Get your body “moovin” with a cow skating
7. Make healthy choices your “goal” this year – with a soccer ball and goal
8. Snow many ways to stay active with pictures of activities
9. Reasons to eat veggies and fruit with benefits under each veggie/fruit picture
10. Tis the season – which fruits/veggies are available in which season (spring, summer, fall, winter)
11. 7 days without exercise makes one “weak”
12. Soft drinks or juice boxes versus water (cons versus pros)
13. Rethink your drink.
14. Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?
15. Spring into action
16. Sheep jumping over a fence – importance of sleep
17. It all adds up to a healthier you (“add” up the components of wellness)
18. Moody cow meditates
19. Let your mind grow (spring flowers)
20. Gratitude jar – encourage them to make their own jar at home
21. We may all be different fish, but at this school we swim together
22. Attitude is the mind’s paintbrush, it can color any situation (different color squares all over the board)
23. Change your words, change your mindset (I’m not good at this – What am I missing? It’s good enough – Is this really my best work? This is too hard – This might take time and effort, I’m not as good as they are – I’m going to figure out what they do and try it. I made a mistake
Any question regarding decorating bulletin boards, please contact Marilyn Edwards (firstname.lastname@example.org).
BOX TOPS TIME!
It’s Box Tops submission time again! Please turn in your Box Tops to your child’s teacher by Friday, February 19th! Remember the class that collects the most box tops for each grade and any class that collects more than 1,000 box tops will get a special treat!