Updates from Washington Elementary - Friday, June 9th
Mr. Russell, Principal - 414.773.1805
Mrs. Schram, Administrative Assistant - 414.773.1805
Mrs. Hill-Gordon - Educational Assistant - 414.773.1806
Attendance Line - 414.773.1802
Have a wonderful summer!
It was an unbelievable day at Washington starting with the flag raising in the morning to the final minutes of anticipation for the bell to ring. The last day of school is always mixed with so many emotions and today was no exception. There was laughter, excitement, more laughter and even some tears as we closed out another successful school year. Congrats to all the students for moving up to another grade, and to our fifth grade class of students for closing out their elementary career as they head to middle school. We will miss the fifth graders and their talents, personalities, and sense of humor. To the fifth grade families who will no longer have any students at Washington - Thank you! Thank you for leaving your mark on this school and setting the bar extremely high for other families to follow and please know you will always be a part of the Washington family.
We will be sending out some more updates throughout the summer, but not on a weekly basis.
Report cards should have come home with students today so please double check that you received your child(ren)’s report card.
Class Placements for 2017-18 will be mailed out on Monday and you should be receiving these by next week.
Staffing: Please welcome the following staff members to Washington for the upcoming school year:
- Cindy Nolette, 2nd grade teacher.
Cindy is very excited to be joining the staff at Washington Elementary School! She has been teaching for over ten years. Most recently, she taught third and fourth grade in the Mequon-Thiensville School District. Prior to moving to Wisconsin six years ago, Cindy taught second grade in Massachusetts. As an educator, she is passionate about equity in the classroom and loves teaching her students about growth mindset. When she is not busy in her school community, she likes hanging out with her two dogs and traveling. She and her husband recently moved to Bay View and will be spending the summer settling into their new house. Cindy is very much looking forward to meeting the students, staff, and families of Washington Elementary!
- Jenny Di Meo, 5th grade teacher. Jenny Di Meo is very excited to join the team at Washington. Having recently moved from the Atlanta area, Jenny, her husband, and their two children are enjoying the active community of Wauwatosa. A graduate of Alverno College in Milwaukee, Jenny’s twelve-year teaching career has included positions in grades 1, 2, 3, and 5. For the last seven years, Jenny has been teaching at a Georgia charter school that uses an interdisciplinary and project-based approach to education. Jenny believes that learning should be fun and focused, and uses a hands-on, inquiry-driven approach in her classroom lessons. She encourages the learning processes of questioning, discovery, and self-reflection in her classroom daily, and is committed to setting and achieving high standards with all her students.
- Nicole Higgins, School Psychologist.
As another year comes to an end, we also want to share a farewell to some staff who will not be returning next year.
- Chris Hoffman, special ed assistant. Chris will still be working in the district, unfortunately just not at Washington next year.
- Mackenzie Laska, orchestra teacher. Mac will still be working in the district, unfortunately just not at Washington next year.
- Claire Mezzanotte, Title I math interventionist. Claire worked in a variety of classrooms helping to support students in math.
- Jodi Viera, school psychologist. Jodi will still be working in the district, unfortunately just not at Washington next year.
- Jess Werner, large classroom assistant. Jess worked in a variety of classrooms and grades throughout the building.
Summer Hours and Contact Info
Gabe and Brenda will be in and out all summer long and have sporadic hours. As many of you know, Gabe is expecting any day now and we wish her and her family the best! Brenda will be working summer school and I will be between here, Fisher and conferences/PD throughout the summer. If you have questions that need to be addressed by the office of by me, the best way to reach us is to contact us via email.
Brenda - firstname.lastname@example.org
Gabe - email@example.com
Donations Needed for the Washington Makerspace...
Plans are underway for the Washington Makerspace! We are collecting consumables for the space.
Examples of items we need are:
Wires, pipe cleaners/chenille sticks
Office Supplies: Expo markers, scissors, glue, tape, construction paper, pencils, cardstock, rulers, brads
Household items: Styrofoam cups/plates, foil, wax paper, coffee filters, toothpicks, straws, cereal/soda boxes
Packaging materials such as bubble wrap
Paper towel tubes, popsicle sticks, paint stir sticks, buttons, origami paper
If you have items over the summer to drop off, please email Brenda, Gabe or Joe know in order to ensure that someone will be here.
Summer Reading Programs
Right At School Before/After School Program, JK Wrap Around Care
Registration is now open for the new JK Wrap-around program and before and after-school care offered at each Wauwatosa School District elementary school through our provider, Right AtSchool.
How to register for the Right At School programs:
- Head to www.rightatschool.org
- Click on “Find a Program” at the top of the page
- Enter your zip code
- Register at the school your child attends
- Select the program(s) of your choice (JK Wrap, Early Adventures – before-school care, or The Right Club – after-school care)
Attached are two separate flyers that provide additional information – one for the JK-Wrap program and one for before and after-school care. Both flyers include pricing information and have been updated to reflect the cost per week. Billing information is listed below the program pricing.
Additionally, here is a list of helpful parent FAQs regarding the Right At School programs.
If you have any additional questions or if you need help while registering for the Right At School programs, please contact the number for Right At School that is listed on each of the flyers.
Please note, this registration is strictly for the daycare programming now available. All families still need to formally enroll your child through the Wauwatosa School District, if you have not already done so.
Forms for resident enrollment in the District can be found HERE.
Questions about District registration may be directed to Student Services at 414-773-1080.
School & PTA Dates
PTA Thanks You!
Thank you for the wonderful year Washington! We have an amazing community and all should be so proud of the amazing year we had. A big thank you to everyone that helped run all of our PTA events throughout the year. We are looking forward to another fun and exciting year. Have a fun and safe summer.
School Supply Kits For Next Year
Summer is starting today and we are already thinking about next year. If you want to make your end of summer a breeze you can order a school supply kit for your student next year. Kits will be delivered to your child's classroom. Below is the link and information for ordering.
School Number: 6921 Washington
Order Deadline: June 23rd
Questions: Contact PTA at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay in the loop! Join the Washington Facebook Group
- Post school-related questions and pictures
- Receive helpful links to school info
- Connect names with faces
Registration Underway for Tosa Night Out
The Wauwatosa’s Neighborhood Watch Committee and Wauwatosa Police Department have announced Tosa’s Night Out 2017 has been scheduled for Wednesday, August 2, 2017 from 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. at the Milwaukee County Zoo. Our school will receive a $2 per family donation for every one that registers prior to June 26th! To register, head to www.tosasnightout.org. For more information about Tosa's Night Out and our community partnership, click HERE.