Gulf Coast News
Week of February 3rd - 7th
5 Things Happening at Gulf Coast
1. Congratulations to the Gulf Coast Scholar Bowl team competing in the A-Team Challenge tournament of 34 teams. They won with a convincing score of 260-70 and advanced to the 2nd round. Thank you to Ms. Liz Mongiello for your time and dedication as you work to prepare these students.
2. Our Mu Alpha Theta math team competed this weekend in the Regional Competition that Gulf Coast hosted. These students worked incredibly hard in both the individual and the team rounds. Our Sharks placed 5th overall as a team which is an incredible accomplishment. Thank you to Ms. Kelly Walters for all of your efforts in getting our "mathletes" ready for competition - they made us proud this weekend!
3. The Gulf Coast Model UN team traveled to Pennsylvania this past week to compete in the Ivy League Model United Nations Conference. These students captured the Outstanding Large Delegation Award (2nd place) which is their highest finish at Nationals ever! Thank you to Ms. Soulard, Ms. Welty and Mr. Baldwin for traveling with these students for this amazing experience.
4. This week we are celebrating National School Counselor Week. We are so grateful for everything that our guidance department does to meet the diverse needs of our students, supporting and inspiring them every day.
5. On July 17, 2019, the State Board of Education approved Rule 6A-1.094121.F.A.C establishing a requirement for a minimum of 5 hours of required instruction annually related to mental and emotional health education for students in grades 6-12. The requirement is effective this school year for all districts in Florida. Beginning February 12th, your child will be introduced to a District-designed, research-based curriculum, Let's Take a Moment for Mental Health. As a school, GC will be meeting this requirement by adding a 30-minute extension between 4th and 5th periods, for 9 Wednesdays. We will share the bell schedule for this special schedule next week. For more information and resources, please visit the CCPS mental health webpage at www.collierschools.com/mentalhealth.
Our students worked together to be able to answer questions in areas such as literature, science, math, and art... just to name a few topics. Talk about pressure!
Mu Alpha Theta
Math for fun? On a Saturday? Sign us up! GC Mu Alpha Theta takes overall 5th place in regional competition.
GC MUN takes on U of Penn
These students continue to show us what working hard as a team can accomplish - they competed against some of the top schools in the country.