By: Giselle Najera & Sierrah Crosby Singletary & Lizzet
Air pollution is one of the most serious problems in the world. It refers to the contamination of the atmosphere by harmful chemicals or biological materials. According to the World's Worst Polluted Places by Blacksmith Institute in 2008, two of the worst pollution problems in the world are urban air quality and indoor air pollution. To solve the problem of air pollution, it's necessary to understand the issues and look for ways to counter it.
what needs to be done to help air pollution?
ON THE ROAD!
- . Walk or ride a bike when possible.
- . Take public transportation.
- Organize and condense errands into one trip.
- When driving, accelerate gradually and obey the speed limit.
- Drive less, particularly on days with unhealthy air.
- Maintain your vehicle and keep your tires properly inflated.
- AT HOME!
- . Turn the lights off when you leave a room.
- Replace energy-hungry incandescent lights with compact florescent light bulbs.
- Ask your energy supplier for a home audit and inquire about alternative energy solutions like solar or wind.
Responsibility for prevention and control of air pollution involves local, state, and federal levels of government, private industry, and individual citizens. Abatement of air pollution through regulatory action should be the primary responsibility of state government, subject to the required standards and operating procedures of the federal government, and with assistance of local government when feasible.