I WILL SURVIVE
An Agriculture project.
how to smoke venison
How to smoke venison, or deer.
Things You'll Need
3- to 4-pound venison roast
Wood chips, soaked in water
Show (2) More
1. Trim all visible fat and silver skin from the roast, using a sharp, flexible knife.
2. Set up your smoker according to the manufacturer's instructions. If using a barbecue grill, bring approximately 50 briquettes to a high heat. Separate the briquettes into two piles. Place an aluminum pan of water between the two piles of charcoal.
3. Add approximately 1 cup of soaked wood chips to the coals. You can use mesquite, hickory, apple or any hardwood chips for the smoking process.
4. Place the roast over on the grill centered over the water pan.
5. Place the lid on the grill, leaving the vents open. Maintain a temperature inside the grill of 225 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit by adding up to10 briquettes and 1/4 cup of wood chips per hour during the smoking process. Maintain the water level at 1 inch or deeper throughout the process.
6. Smoke the deer roast 8 to10 hours or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 170 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.