CUBS COMMUNITY COMMUNICATION
Issue #2 8.25.23
Location: 12900 Grand Haven, Sterling Heights, MI 48312
Attendance Line: 586-797-4299 (24 hours)
COMMUNITY UPDATE ISSUE #6 September 22, 2023
CUBS COMMUNITY UPDATE
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
9/17: Constitution Day (Collins Celebrates on Friday and Monday)
9/20: NO SCHOOL-Professional Development for teachers
9/22: ICE CREAM SOCIAL-PTO EVENT!
9/25: Shake Shack Fundraiser Night
10/3: BAGEL DAY
10/4: STUDENT COUNT DAY!!!
10/9: PTO MEETING 4pm
10/12: PICTURE DAY!!!
10/18: NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS-TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
10/27: STUDENT HALF DAY DISMISSAL at 11:29
10:31: STUDENT HALF-DAY DISMISSAL at 11:29
Greetings Collins Cubs-
Happy Fall!! We hope you and your family are able to join us this evening for the ICE CREAM SOCIAL that begins at 6 pm. Just a reminder that this event is FREE to families and if you would like to purchase and concessions, please do so by bringing cash with you to the event this evening. All students and children in attendance must be accompanied by an adult to this event. A BIG thank you to all our wonderful VOLUNTEER families that have helped to contribute time in preparation to this event!!
CALLING ALL VOLUNTEERS!!!
We continue to welcome all families to help with lunch and recess time, here at Collins. If you have considered getting involved, this is a great opportunity to be active in your child's community and to help our school. Thank you to our lovely new faces and family members that donated their time this week. :)
If you need to pick your child up at any time for an early dismissal, please be sure the office is aware as well as your child's teacher. We do ask, when possible, to keep all requests for early dismissal to before the 3pm time frame so that we may have your child successfully ready to go by the end of the day. Thank you.
LUNCHES & ALLERGIES
For the safety of all students involved, sharing of food during the lunchtime and/or snack time hours is prohibited. Due to the severe allergies and/or various ingredients in food, please remind your CUB to either eat the school's FREE LUNCH or just their own food during the lunch time break. Thank you for your cooperation with this important health alert.
SAFTEY REMINDERS FOR ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL
It is extremely important for students and families to follow our safety protocols and guidelines. Students should not be exiting the vehicles at any time from the left side of the vehicle. Thank you for also crossing your children at the cross-walk where we have our crossing guards.
- CROSS WALK: Please be sure to cross your students at the cross walk ONLY. Please, not stopping or parking on the crosswalk at any time.
- DROP-OFF LINE: Please be sure to pull all the way forward around the front of the building to alleviate the traffic flow. Students should not be let out of the car until after the crosswalk has been passed.
- HANDICAP PARKING: Handicap parking is reserved for vehicles with HANDICAP passes only. Thank you for following these laws.
- STOPPING in the DROP OFF LANE: Please be sure to pull completely forward (to the edge of the Gym Wall) passed the crossing path to drop off. If you wish to watch your child get to the door and/or to give them an extra squeeze, hug/kiss by exiting your vehicle, we ask that you please choose to utilize a parking space to help ease the flow of our traffic. We sincerely appreciate your attention to this matter and thank you for helping us with our safety plan in place for traffic flow at Collins.
MEDICAL ACTION PLANS for MEDICINE:
- All students that require medicine throughout the day must have a doctor's note on file and a medical action plan completed.
Thank you for another great week together and for so many students showing their P.A.W.S.! Go Cubs!
BRUCE COLLINS EVENT CALENDAR
REMEMBER-NEW START TIMES!!!
*NEW* SMILE! SECURITY UPDATE!
*NEW!* In adherence to our safety protocols, every member of the community must show their PHOTO IDs to the camera prior to entering our school doors. Please have your IDs with you at all times when coming to the front office. Even if we know you, we are making sure to have a record of all our wonderful families present and following necessary SCHOOL SAFETY measures. Thank you for your understanding and support in keeping all our CUBS safe at school!
COLLINS SPIRIT WEAR
PICTURE DAY 10/12
ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL REMINDERS
- Begin exiting vehicles at 8:20 am
- First bell rings at 8:25 am
- Half-Day 11:29am
- Full-Day 3:15pm
🚗CAR DROP-OFF LANE-PLEASE FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES
Please notice the map that is included below. We have two lanes at Collins that are marked. As you enter the parking lot, the lane closest to the sidewalk is for dropping students off and moving along. We ask that you please pull all the way forward to keep the traffic moving continuously.
- Located at the MAIN ENTRANCE.
- Students should be seated on the PASSENGER side of the car to exit quickly.
- As soon as your child has exited your vehicle, please continue to pull forward to exit the parking lot.
- Cars must remain in the drop off lane while dropping off, NO PASSING
- We all must OBEY our CROSSING GUARDS at all times.
- Please do NOT LEAVE your car unattended in the drop-off / pick-up zone.
- The SECOND lane closest to the parking lot itself is for a driving thru lane and will be utilized if you need to park your vehicle for whatever reason.
🚌BUS LANE: THEY WILL LOAD and UNLOAD IN FRONT OF GYM
- All students will unload and load by the buses in front of the GYM.
STUDENT LINE-UPS in MORNINGS-Please look for signs on the buildings.
- 1st/2nd Grades: Line up by DOOR 9
- 3rd/4th: DOOR 7
- 5th Classroom Doors
- SIXTH GRADE: DOOR NEAR GYM NEXT TO THE MAIN DOORS
- KINDERGARTEN: Will line up by their classroom doors and exit by classroom doors from ROOM 12, 13, and 15.
***IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SUPPORT OUR SCHOOL, PLEASE SIGN UP TO HELP WITH ARRIVAL/DISMISSAL!!! WE WOULD LOVE YOUR SUPPORT!***
- Students riding the bus will exit from their arrival doors, with exception of K students-they will go through to the GYM doors.
- KINDERGARTEN ROOMS 12/13/15: Exits from their respective classroom doors.
- 1st, 2nd: Door 9
- 3rd/4th: Door 7
- 6th Grade DOORS NEAR GYM.
STUDENT BEHAVIOR POLICY
SUPER CUBS SHOW THEIR P.A.W.S!
P: Positive Choices
A: Act Responsibly
W: Will be Respectful
S: Shows Integrity
All Collins Cubs are expected to follow protocols and procedures while showing their PAWS! That includes inside the classrooms, during the hallways, on the playgrounds, and for arrivial/dismissal as well. Teachers will be on the lookout for ways to celebrate students showing their PAWS and have a chance to earn incentives.
UTICA COMMUNITY SCHOOLS PARENT HANDBOOK FOR BEHAVIORS
UCS POWERSCHOOL INFORMATION & FAMILY PORTAL
FREE MEALS AT COLLINS
ATTENTION FAMILIES: FREE MEALS AT UCS UPDATE 2023-2024
All meals are free this year thanks to the Michigan School Meals law (2A). Students that would like to be eligible for benefits, such as pay-to-participate sports, college entrance/AP testing fees, summer EBT cards and more need to complete the Eligibility Benefits Form or the School Meals and Summer EBT Form (2B). These forms are available at https://utica.familyportal.cloud. Please encourage your parents to complete these forms to ensure our Title I and other specialized funding is received from the state. Paper applications are arriving at your schools this week. For Elementary schools please only send 1 copy home with either the oldest or the youngest child in the family. Secondary schools please have paper copies available in your main offices.
SPECIAL DIETARY RESTRICTIONS
Students with food allergies that wish to use school meals must have a Special Dietary Needs form (11A) completed and signed by a physician. Forms need to be turned in to the office of Food and Nutrition Service. Without this form we cannot make accommodations. This form must be updated every year to ensure accuracy. Since all schools have vegetarian options, parents do not need to complete a form for that option.
🐻COLLINS VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!🐾
*PAY SCHOOLS UPDATE*
Important Note About Pay Schools for the 2023-2024 School Year
PaySchools has improved its platform this year to provide a system that is consistently more reliable and user friendly. The end result for parents will be that the information they need will be personalized for their child.
As a result, families will be asked to recreate an account (even if you previously had a PaySchools account). Once created, you will be provided with those product choices that directly relate to your child.
Just follow these easy steps:
Create an account from your computer or tablet at: www.payschoolscentral.com
Complete the account registration by selecting register, enter your profile details, setting up your password via the email link that will be sent to you, then logging in.
Add your children to your account using their student ID numbers. ID numbers are found on their report card available through PowerSchool.
If you like, enter credit card and/or banking information as forms of payments to use with your PaySchools account.
A complete guide (with screen shots) is available at this link.
Need help with your PaySchools Central account?
8:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. ET (M-F)
UCS COMMUNITY INFORMATION
PTO EVENTS & REMINDERS
🏫UCS PARENT HANDBOOK🏫
PREVIOUS CUB COMMUNICATION
Bruce Collins Elementary
Principal of Collins Elementary
Location: 12900 Grand Haven Drive, Sterling Heights, MI, USA