August 13, 2019
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL SCHEDULE
AUGUST 14, 2019
GRADES 1-5 8:15-1:15
It's finally here -- tomorrow is the first day of school! Here are a few suggestions and reminders to make the day a memorable one for everyone:
- Join the celebration! You'll find a big "selfie sign" on the lawn outside of room 4. You'll also find "picture frames" around school that our Student Council members created. And don't forget to look for Carl the Cougar. You'll find him wandering around the campus. Take a picture with friends and family. Posting your pic? We love the hashtag #TeamAltaVista.
- Walk to School. With over 600 students all starting school at 8:15, we're anticipating lots of traffic. Please think about walking from home or parking a couple of blocks away and walking the rest of the way. It's a wonderful way to make friends (and get in a few extra steps).
- Stay cool! It is expected to be very hot tomorrow. Please remember to send your child with a water bottle and a hat.
- Join us for the Welcome Coffee in the cafeteria, beginning at 8:15. It's a chance to catch up with old friends and connect with new members of the community.
- Mark your calendars! We have a number of activities happening over the next week and we want you to join us. You'll find more information about these events below.
BACK TO SCHOOL EVENTS
- Kindergarten 8:15-11:35
- Grades 1-5 8:15-1:15
8/14 - Welcome Coffee (8:15-8:45)
8/14 - Kindergarten Back to School Night
Parents only please, NO children allowed
5:30-6:15 for Kindergarten parents (classroom)
6:15-6:45 Principal’s Welcome & Home & School Club Meeting (Cafeteria)
8/16 - Alta Vista Family Picnic @ 12:00
- First - Bring a blanket with some favorites foods and find a spot on the field.
- Next - Go to your child's classroom, fill out the visitor sign in log and put on a visitor sticker.
- Then - Meet your child at 12:00 and enjoy lunch together.
- Finally - After you are done eating, say your good-byes and let your child go play with friends before returning to class.
8/21 - Back to School Night (Adults Only - Please)
5:30-6:00 Enrichment Program Information (Cafeteria)
6:00-6:45 Classroom presentations for parents with children in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades
6:45-7:15 Principal’s Welcome and Home & School Club Meeting (Cafeteria)
7:15-8:00 PM Classroom presentations for parents with children in 4th and 5th grades
ENRICHMENT PROGRAM PRESENTATION
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT CHILD CARE
Union School District's Extended Care program is offering child care at their Alta Vista facility during our Back to School Night events on 8/14 (kindergarten) and 8/21 (graders 1-5). This allows you to focus on the information be presented, while knowing that your child is being well cared for.
If you are interested in Back to School Night child care, please visit the websites below for more information and to sign up for this program.
Back to School Night - Kindergarten (8/14) https://forms.gle/QK9EkEdQQXoqUVZ47
Back to School Night - Grades 1-5 (8/21) https://forms.gle/3eQhHpKQCyS3zKoZ8
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Carmela Combs, our site supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALTA VISTA HOME & SCHOOL CLUB NEWS
As soon as you learn your child's teacher assignment, it is time for you to log into the Alta Vista Home and School Club (AVHSC) Parent Portal via Membership Toolkit to receive AVHSC and class email communication, sign up to volunteer for class enrichment (Room Parents, Art Vistas, Clay, Cornerstone, etc.), access and update the school directory, access the online store to submit Membership donation, and buy spiritwear, birthday books, and more! You make all payments online via credit card or PayPal.
**The grade with the highest percentage of participation by donating to support classroom activities, field trips, enrichment programs and services by September 5, 2019 will WIN A PIZZA PARTY!
Visit http://www.avhsc.org/ and click on the link under GET CONNECTED to sign into Membership Toolkit (MTK).
OR: Just go to the MTK direct link below. Once you are added in the system you can sign-up for classroom volunteering, submit membership or general donations online to support your student’s excellent education experience, order spiritwear online, birthday books, access the online school directory, and more!
Note to returning parents: MySchool Anywhere (MSA) has been replaced by MTK this year. Parents will need to create a new login to access MTK. However, the information from the online directory has been migrated over to MTK. Once logged in, please verify your information and make updates as needed.
MTK PARENT PORTAL SIGN UP DIRECT LINK:
VOLUNTEER SIGN UP DIRECT LINK:
ONLINE STORE DIRECT LINK:
Thank you for all of your support!
TEAM ALTA VISTA NEEDS YOU!
We hope to see you on the playground!