3 in 10 teen American girls get pregnant every year.
12 Important Facts
- Very few teens who become mothers plan on doing so.Out of all teen pregnancies, 82% are unintended. Teen pregnancy accounts for 20% of all unplanned pregnancies annually
- Two-thirds of teen pregnancies occur among teens 18-19 years old.
- Teen mothers account for 11% of all births in the US.
- Out of all teen pregnancies, 57% end in birth.Another 14% end in miscarriage.
- Nearly a third of pregnant teenagers choose abortion, 29% are terminated by abortion.
- Black teens have the highest teen pregnancy rate.
- For young women age 15-19, black teens are most likely to become pregnant (134 per 1,000 women). Slightly lower rates occur among Hispanics (131 per 1,000) followed by non-Hispanic whites (48 per 1,000).
- Teens who become pregnant are less likely to attend college.Although teenage mothers today are more likely to finish high school or earn their GEDs than in the past, pregnant teens are less likely to attend college than teens who do not become pregnant.
- US teen pregnancy rates are higher than those of other developed countries.
A sexually active teen who doesn’t use contraceptives has a 90% chance of becoming pregnant within a year
About 25% of teen moms have a 2nd child within 24 months of their first baby.
8 out of 10 teen dads don’t marry the mother of their child.