November 17, 2014
"As a teacher you have to be committed to learning for a lifetime first before you can lead your students down that path."- Robert John Meehan
News to Roar About
- Thank you, Melanie Cain for your work a with challenging situation. Collaborative relationships are not always easy but they are always in the best interest of the student. Excellent Job!!
- Thank you to each of the Harbins Staff members for all you do to provide an outstanding education for over 1,000 students every day! Happy American Education Week!
- Teresa Olson, Susie Inglett and Melanie Cain for opening your classroom to Mr. Hunter during his visit. He was very impressed with what he observed in your classrooms! Great instruction is a joy to watch! Thank you!
- SIT team for another awesome planning session. We appreciate your leadership at Harbins!
- Jackie Ocasio and Teresa Olson's class for a great week in Leadership Academy. Thank you for sharing your students with us!
- Christy LeMaster for filling in at School Council. I appreciate your help!
- 4th grade and kindergarten students for an amazing Veterans Day program! We are so proud of your hard work and performance!
- Linda Wood for the countless opportunities your provide to our students to showcase their talents!
- 4th grade and kindergarten teachers for your time and support of the Veterans Day program. It would not have been a success with our each of you helping along the way!
- Linda Pulliam and Sondra Wilson for the extra time you devoted to dance team. They were awesome!
- Mike Stanton and Mary Kotler for doing a stupendous job with sound during the Veterans Day program. It was delightful to see the kids have a squeak-free, feedback-free, static-free, performance. Kudos!
- Shelly Everett for the always impressive student art work. The displays for Veterans Day are outstanding! Everyone has enjoyed admiring the works of art created by our students!
- Jennifer Samples, Jennifer Rogers, Myesha Jenkins and Mia Latimore for your work as a team to support a student in need.
- Lisa Newton for your work with the Gifted Endorsement class and for leading the way in this work. Your class is helping us to continue to grow and improve our work with students!
- Terri and Heather for leading the way on our Relay for Life Hat Day. Thank you for helping our students to learn about giving to others.
- 3rd grade students and teachers for your work to raise money for Unicef and give to a great cause to help many, many children to have a better life.
- Cafe staff, a HUGE thank you in advance, for all we know you are doing to provide an excellent lunch for our special guests this week for grandparents luncheons.
- Amber Deadrick for your leadership as the staff representative on PTA. We appreciate your extra time and leadership!
- Our wonderful custodial staff for the extra time and support you provide during all of our special events and programs with set up and take down! We know it is a lot of work and we appreciate your help in making these special events go so smoothly!
American Education Week is November 17-21
- Share a picture of you when you first started your career in education.
- Join us on Tuesday before Action Teams in the cafe for a special treat.
- Post a thank you to a favorite teacher online bit.ly/loveourteachers
- Have your students write a Tiger thank you note to an educator for a job well done. Thank you notes were placed in your mailboxes on Friday.
- Chris has made some word finds for the students to look for teacher names and other fun education related words.
- Information about American Education Week will be shared on morning announcements.
Teacher Bar and Sack Lunches for Grandparents' Luncheons
The teacher bar will be lined up against the stage with its own drink station and cutlery. For your convenience we suggest you enter the cafeteria through the other set of doors on that day. There will also be a sign up sheet for lunch where you will (legibly, please) write your name and check off that you got a lunch with us. If you are eating something other than a whole lunch, please write it down so we can charge your account correctly.
1) Ordering- The sack lunch form can be turned in by email, by sending it to the cafeteria, or to our mailbox. The deadline for orders and any corrections to an earlier order is 9:00 am on the morning of your event.
2) Eating- The Cafeteria will be delivering lunches to your classrooms for this event. We’re hoping this will make life a little easier for you as well as clear up some of the congestion in the Cafeteria that day.
3) Finishing up- There will be a paper copy of your order attached to the sack lunch box. If you have any final corrections to your order, this is the time to write it down. Your sack lunch form must be returned to the cafeteria AFTER your students have been served lunch and BEFORE the end of the day. This final copy is what we use to ring the students up in the computer. You can send it back to the cafeteria or put it back in our mailbox. Thank you!
Class Winter Parties
EXCITING NEWS FOR HARBINS!
Staff Survey for GA Department of Education
Please take a moment to click the link below to complete the survey. IF we have staff go on and complete it now, we will not need to meet on December 2 to complete this required state survey. Thank you for your help in having one less meeting on our calendars by completing the survey on your own this week. Be careful on the ratings as the items can shift in a way that make you look at the ratings differently. That will make sense once you complete the survey. Just be sure to read the items and choices carefully.
Harbins Families - Holiday Help
Pay Day Reminder
Wash, Wash, Wash
Harbins Spelling Bee
PTA Teacher Grants
If you purchase something that costs more than $50, you can still turn in your receipt and get reimbursed for $50 of that expense.
Technology Weekly Update (Please click each week for new info.)
Media Center News
Check out what is happening in the Media Center with a NEW Smore for OCTOBER
Information on upcoming story times and how to sign up for a Genius hour research lesson
Grade Level Professional Learning
- November 19 - Tool Time (make up fro November 5)
- November 20 - Grade Level Staff Development - Math
- December 3- Tool Time
- December 4 - Grade level Staff Development - Math/Literacy
- December 10 and 11- Grade Level Business
- January 5- 8:00-11:00- STEM Professional Development- Agenda to be Shared before the break
Classroom Spirit Award
School Improvement Team
The SIT Team meeting will be held on December 2 from 1:15- 4:00. Location: Professional Development Room. Read Chapter 4 of Change Leader for our session.
News to Roar About
We will place “News to Roar About” in the Roar each Monday. It is our hope that throughout the year that you will take time to send us a note to let us know about a colleague who deserves recognition for outstanding work. Please be sure to share your compliments with us so we can highlight those individuals in the Roar. You can email compliments to Cindy Truett or Montine Powell.
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file will be shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning for August when Montine sends out the notification email.
Through the Eyes of a Child
An unknown 1st grader came up to Kim Looney and told her that she ws now 7 years old. Kim told her that was wonderful! She asked the student,"Well, now that you are lucky 7, how do you feel?" She stopped. She thought. She replied, "Taller."
Do You Ride the Cute Bus?
Two kindergarten boys came out to afternoon bus call skipping and holding hands. On this day it was unusual but a special ed bus was in the middle of the regular line of buses. The boys stopped. One said to the other, "Look at that bus. It is so cute! I want to ride on that one."
Grandparents Day Luncheon
Grandparents Day Luncheon is scheduled for November 18th and November 19th this year. Schedules are attached to today's Roar and posted in the staff handbook under schedules.
Kindergarten, Second and Third grade will eat with Grandparents on November 18th
First, Fourth and Fifth grades will eat lunch with Grandparents on November 19th.
PLEASE NOTIFY YOUR PARENTS OF YOUR DATE AND TIME AND SEND REMINDERS SO ALL KNOW WHAT TIME TO COME ON THEIR DESIGNATED DATE. Thanks!