Alta Vista Voyager Connection
An In-Depth Newsletter for Alta Vista Families
- Tuesday, February 5: Lions Pride Kick-Off at 5:30-6:30 pm at Alta Vista Elementary
- Saturday, February 9: Parent Summit at Bells Hill Elementary from 8:00 am-1:00 pm
- Monday, February 11: NO SCHOOL
- Friday, February 15: End of 4th Six Weeks; look for report cards following week
- Week of February 18: Book Fair
- Tuesday, February 19: SEAS The Night Family Engagement Event at 5:30-7:30 pm
- Thursday, February 28: Parent Huddle at 8:30-9:30 am (Focus on Math)
- Thursday, February 28: CDMC Meeting at 4:15 pm
- Friday, March 1: Dr. Seuss Day (Students can dress up as their favorite Dr. Seuss character)
COMING UP: Spring Break is March 11-15
Join LIONS Pride Today!
There is a new program in town that's just for men! L.I.O.N.S. (Leaders In Our Neighborhood Schools) Pride is an innovative program geared at connecting adult males in our community to volunteer and service opportunities at our school. The positive impact of male role models in the school setting cannot be overstated, and we are excited to have this opportunity on our campus.
Those participating in the program will be helping our students by:
• Strengthening youth identity
• Promoting positive male leadership
• Building a culture of service
• Investing in a new generation of leaders
L.I.O.N.S. Pride is sponsored by a local nonprofit led by one of our very own Alta Vista fathers, Darryl Thomas, Jr.. Join us at the kick-off, Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 5:30 pm at Alta Vista Elementary to sign up. Please email Darryl.Thomas@sizeofaman.org for more details. See you there!
Parent Involvement Opportunities
We can't wait to celebrate SEAS The Night with families on Tuesday, February 19 at 5:30-7:30 pm. We will have lots of FREE hands-on activities, read alouds, FREE food, and free take-home materials. Grades 1 & 2 will be performing at 7:00 pm in the cafeteria. It's an event you won't want to miss!
Our next PARENT HUDDLE will be on Thursday, February 28 at 8:30-9:30 am. We will be focusing on strategies to help your students at home with math.
Our Campus Decision Making Committee (CDMC) will meet on Thursday, February 28 at 4:15 pm. Please join us as we discuss important campus decision for the spring.
Check out more about volunteering with our Lions Pride (invitation above).
Ms. Rawles had students completing hands-on science experiments to explore the differences between the Earth and moon.
Congratulations to all of our KID Inventor Winners! Their creations were amazing!
KID Inventor Day
Classes paired up on Friday, January 18 for KID Inventory Day to invent something! Ms. Palmer and Ms. Breeding's class made anemometers to measure wind speed.
3 Tips for Promoting Positive Behavior
- Verbally acknowledge children’s efforts. Tell your child/student(s) specifically what he/she did that you are proud of. For example, you can say “You were so focused on your math homework tonight! Keep up the good work,” “That was so nice the way you helped your brother with his math homework.” When children get praised for doing the right thing, they want to do more of it. Virtually all children want to please adults (whether they show it or not) so for most children, praise makes a positive impact. Praise is also an easy way to give your child attention which many children so desperately crave.
- Remind your child/student(s) that they should be proud of themselves (e.g., “You worked so hard on that science project. You should be so proud of yourself!”). This helps build internal confidence in them, so they can learn to be proud of themselves for being persistent, working hard, being kind to others, etc. If they feel successful they will be successful.
- Be a role model for good behavior. If you want your child to treat others with respect, you do the same. If you want your child to be an honest person, set an example of honesty for them.
Pictures Are Worth A Thousand Words!
Check out our school photos here: https://www.wacoisd.org/Page/9318
Inspiración is excited to continue serving the WISD community and we are very grateful for the support we have received thus far. Our Tuesday classes are currently full, but we are still enrolling parents for the Thursday morning session (8-10:30). Feel free to reach out to us at 254-662-3050 ext. 214 or visit our Facebook page (Inspiracion-Waco) for more information. We would love to see you at our next class.
Inspiración continúa sirviendo la comunidad del Distrito Escolar de Waco, y nos sentimos muy agradecidos por el apoyo que hemos recibido hasta el día de hoy. Nuestras clases del martes ya están llenas, pero aún tenemos lugares disponibles para la clase del jueves por la mañana (8-10:30). Para más información llama al 254-662-3050 ext. 214 o visita nuestra página de Facebook (Inspiracion-Waco). Esperamos verte en nuestra próxima clase.