Ms. Arnold's Weekly News
Week of 11-10-14
Book orders: Diary of a Wimpy Kid is on back order!
Our Classroom Learning Time
Our Focus Points
Reading / Language Arts
Students are continuing to work through our Daily 5 rotations, Read to Self, Read to Someone, Partner Fluency Time, Listening Time, and Teacher Time. Students are also meeting with me one-on-one through the week to work on specific goals. Our comprehension focus this week is a continuation of Comparing and Contrasting various aspects of story elements as well as summarizing and identifying author's purpose. Other areas of focus throughout our Daily 5 rotations are: context clues, predicting, journal writing, writing drafts, response to reading, fluency and word building on the Ipads. I am very excited to see their excitement and focus to their day to day reading and writing grow. We are truly building life long readers and writers.
Math (Topic 3/Unit 3)
We are about halfway through unit 3. Unit 3 thus far places emphasis on adding 2 and 3-diget numbers using a variety of methods (expanded alogorithm, base-10 models, and standard addition.
Students are continuing to gather stories in their writer's notebooks. This week we will be adding on to our sentence building. We will be reviewing and applying the use of different kinds of sentences and their punctuation into our daily writing. Also students will begin using a 4-square graphic organizer to help them develop paragraphs using basic organization structure. This organizer helps students to develop a paragraph that includes an introduction, body, and conclusion. Students will practice this structure a lot and should have it mastered within the year. This week's paragraph emphasis on develping a personal narrative. A story about an experience they have had.
On Friday, students took their Force and Motion test. We will be taking a break from science for a few weeks. We will be switching to Social Studies for awhile before starting our next science unit.
We will be digging deeper into our first topic of study: Map skills. Students will be studying the compass rose and its directions. They will also be using the compass rose and its directions to move from one place to another. Students will also begin learning about other map features.
This Week's Spelling Words: List #9
Week of 11-10-14 (Test is Friday)
Weekly Specials and Nightly Homework
Tuesday: Gym; Math Homework #2; Study spelling words; Red folders come home
Wednesday: Computers; Study spelling words; Red folders come home
Thursday: Gym; Study spelling words; Red folders come home
Friday: No specials; Spelling test #6; Red folders come home; new spelling list comes home
DATES AT A GLANCE
8 Music Choral Festival – Michigan Center Auditorium – 8:15 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
10 School Board Meeting – MCHS – 7:00 P.M.
Good News Club – Permission Slips Week Before
11 Marco’s Night – 3rd/4th Grades – Decorate Pizza Box
Michigan Center Community Food Pantry – 6:30 – 7:30 P.M.
12 Credit Union Day
Marco’s Night – 5th/6th Grades – Decorate Pizza Box
13 Picture Retake Day – 10:00 A.M. – 1:30 P.M.
14 PTO Top Turkey Food Drive Ends
18 PTO Meeting – Keicher School – 6:00 P.M.
19 Credit Union Day
Mackinac Little Caesars Pizza Kit Fundraiser - Pick-Up – CEC Gym – 3:30 – 6:00 P.M.
21 1st Trimester Ends
24 Welcome Back Mrs. Heselschwerdt
Parent/Teacher Conferences – Grades 3-5 - 4:00 – 7:00 P.M. – More information coming soon
25 Parent/Teacher Conferences – Grades 3-5 - 4:00 – 7:00 P.M. – More information coming soon
Michigan Center Community Food Pantry – 6:30 – 7:30 P.M.
26 Credit Union Day
27-28 Thanksgiving Vacation – See You Monday, Dec. 1st
1 Bible Release – 10:10 – 11:10 a.m.
3 Mobile Dentist
Credit Union Day
8 Good News Club – Permission Slips Week Before
School Board Meeting – MCHS – 7:00 p.m.
9 Michigan Center Community Food Panty – 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
10 Credit Union Day
12 Keicher Elementary Student Lock-in – Holiday Theme – 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
15-19 Secret Santa Shop – More information to follow
16 6th Grade Winter Concert – Keicher West Gym – 2:30 & 7:00 p.m.
17 Credit Union Day
19 Christmas Activities - Afternoon
3:25 – Christmas Break Begins
23 Michigan Center Community Food Pantry – 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
1. Picture Retakes will be November 13th. Please remember to send the picture packet with your child on this day so they can be retaken without charge. Picture forms were sent home with the students that were absent on picture day. Remember that payment is due at the camera if you were absent on picture day. Picture forms are also available in the office.
2. The MICHIGAN CENTER COMMUNITY FOOD PANTRY will be open every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month from 6:30 -7:30 p.m. The pantry is located at the west end of Keicher. Follow the signs through the Pre-School playground gate. See dates above.
3. 4TH GRADE MACKINAC TRIP RAFFLE winners were drawn on Monday, November 3rd at 3:00 p.m. We would like to thank the Michigan Center community for all of their support.
Free Trip to Mackinac Island: Colby Jones
$50 Gift Card to Meijer: Heather Freysinger
$25 Shell Gas Card: Brenda Lang
$10 Subway Card: Chrissy Miller
A special thanks to everyone involved in making this event a great success.
4. EXCITING NEWS – The PTO is sponsoring the seventh annual TOP TURKEY Contest from November 3-14. Students/teachers can purchase feathers by donating money or non-perishable food items to fill out their turkey. The turkey with the most feathers will be named TOP TURKEY and the class will win a party of their choice (ice cream, pizza, Subway???). Collected items will be assembled into food baskets and the donated money will be spent on meat, bread, dairy, and other food items of high demand. Baskets will be given to families in OUR SCHOOLS whose names have been “drawn”. Do you want your classroom to be the “TOP TURKEY”?
Donation/feather exchange rate
1 non-perishable = 2 feathers
25 cents = l feather
$5.00 = 40 feathers
***SPECIALS*** ALL NEXT WEEK, TOOTHPASTE, TOILET PAPER, SHAMPOO AND CANNED MEAT
(SPAM) = 10 FEATHERS
5. MARCO’S NIGHT!!! – Keicher Elementary and Marco’s Pizza have teamed up to help our school. Marco’s Pizza will be sponsoring our first fundraising event of the school year with “Decorate Your Own Box”. Next Tuesday, November 11th (3rd/4th) and Wednesday, November 12th (5th/6th) we are encouraging you to order a pizza or two from Marco’s and have it delivered in your student’s very own box. All you have to do is simply give your child’s teacher’s name when you place the order. The class with the largest percent of orders will receive a PIZZA PARTY on a day of their choice. This is a great way to earn a little money for the school and support one of our local businesses. The school earns a percentage of the profits for that day. A great big thank you to Marco’s Pizza for supporting our community!
6. 4th GRADE GIRLS BASKETBALL – If your daughter is interested in playing basketball, we are having tryouts on Monday, November 10th and Wednesday, November 12th, 5:45 – 7:15 p.m. in the Keicher School West Gym. If you are unable to make either practice, but would like to tryout, please contact Lisa Haynes at 937-6542.
There will be practices on Mondays and Wednesdays most weeks. We will play in 3-5 tournaments. The first tournament will be in December, with the last tournament in February. Costs will be $30.00 for a uniform and an additional $100.00- $125.00 for tournaments. Tournament fees vary, and the player portion is dependent on how many players are on the team. Money will be due by December 15th and at that time a tournament schedule will be available. Flyers have been sent home with the 4th Grade girls already. We hope to see your daughter at the tryout on the 10th.
7. BOX TOPS – We will be collecting box tops for education all year long. We encourage you to collect them and send them to school with your student. We appreciate all of your help.
8. VETERAN’S DAY - November 11th. This is a day to recognize those who have served our country in past wars and/or the armed services. Students may wear red, white and blue on Tuesday to show their respect.
9. MICHIGAN CENTER FAMILIES – Do you, or another family you know need a Christmas basket? If so, please call Lisa Jordan at 764-5200 x2003 to be placed on our Christmas list. When local service organizations and churches donate, we will have a better idea of those in need. Thank you!
10. The JACKSON AREA PIPELINE DISCOVERY + EXPLORATION will be held on December 3, 2014, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. at the Jackson Area Career Center, 6800 Brown’s Lake Road. See attached flyer for more information.