Winter Update for GMS Families
Gettys Middle School - Easley, SC
3M Donates STEM Supplies To GMS Teachers
Top International Country in Education Visits Gettys and SDPC
Educators from Finland visited the School District of PIckens County and designated two days to visit with our students and teachers. What a blessing to learn from and teach those of another country, culture and educational system. These Finland educators have never been to our country and they chose to learn from Pickens County!
Finland educators toured several of our classes including: Project Lead the Way STEM classes, 8th grade Math classes, 7th grade Social Studies classes, Olweus Bully Prevention Program in 7th grade classes, Fine Arts classes of Band and Chorus, 6th grade Science classes, Self-Contained classes and our Book Bunch Video Production Club in our media center.
Individual Graduation Plans or IGP Conferences for 8th graders with Guidance
- No early dismissals after 2:30 pm from the main office.
- Bus transportation can only be provided to a student's home address.
- All after school transportation plans should be communicated to your child prior to coming to school.
- Please address any negative balances in your child's cafeteria account or for previously lost textbooks or technology items.
- The SDPC Dress Code includes: "Garments worn on the legs (pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, etc...) must have a length that comes to within one inch of the top of the knee; with no holes or slits above this line." Please help your child be in accordance with this board policy.
- Be sure to login to the Schoology app to check on your child's grades daily as the Third Quarter is a very important nine weeks.
- Required state testing begins May 4 and all students should plan to attend school daily during state testing from May 4 to May 22.
Mental Health Support
(864) 878-6830 main line and this is also the after-hours emergency line. Pickens Mental Health Clinic is the main provider of community mental health care in Pickens County. There is also a national crisis text line available for support. Just text HELLO to 741741 to be connected to a trained Crisis Counselor.
Greenville Memorial Emergency Room provides mental health evaluations for students with suicidal thoughts requiring evaluation. They are located at 701 Grove Road in Greenville, SC and their phone numbers are: 864-455-8988 or toll-Free: 888-852-8520. We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals at 1-800-273-8255.
GETTYS CALENDAR OF EVENTS
1/21/20 Boys Basketball (H) vs Seneca 7th grade starts 5:30 and 8th to follow
1/21/20 Girls Basketball (A) at Seneca 7th grade starts 5:30 and 8th to follow
1/23/20 Winter Pep Rally 2:00 pm
1/23/20 Boys Basketball (H) vs RC Edwards 7th grade starts 5:30 and 8th to follow
1/23/20 Girls Basketball (A) at RC Edwards 7th grade starts 5:30 and 8th to follow
1/27/20 Basketball (H) vs Gray Court with Girls 5:30 and Boys to follow
1/28/20 GMS Pageant: Roaring 20’s-Parent Meeting 7pm in GMS auditorium
1/30/20 Basketball (A) at Hickory Tavern with Girls 5:30 and Boys to follow
2/12/20 Third Quarter Interim Reports
2/14-17/20 No School For Students
2/20/20 Black History Month Program
2/21/20 Winter School Dance
2/27/20 5th grade Tours and dress rehearsal for Lion King Jr
2/28/20 7th grade Job Shadowing Day
2/28 & 29 Lion King Jr Musical
3/6 & 3/7 Lion King Jr Musical