Elkins Update #3
Monthly Newsletter to Keep Parents Informed
Journey to Excellence
* We have included some events that are taking place, both on campus and around the district, so make sure to check those out to see if you want to attend!
Taking a TRIP to Reach our Attendance Goal
We have already had 2 drawings in our attendance incentive. We drew for Altitude jump passes for the students and for $25 gift cards for the parents of those students who have had perfect attendance. Attendance is measured each 6 weeks, so your students have an opportunity to "start over" with a clean slate with the start of each new six weeks. We are looking for no absences and no tardies!! Please help us reach our attendance goal, as a campus, of 97%!
In order to help promote attendance, we will be doing individual incentives to show our appreciation for our students AND parents who work hard to get here EACH day ON TIME.
Each six weeks, a drawing will take place for each student who has PERFECT (no absences and no tardies) for the 6 weeks.
* students entered into drawing for Altitude jump pass
* parents entered into drawing for $25 Visa gift card
The class with the highest attendance percentage will receive a popcorn party!
At the END OF THE YEAR, each student with perfect attendance will be entered into a drawing for a bike! We will have 8 bikes, so 8 students will win!!! The grade level with the highest attendance percentage will win a pizza party for their ENTIRE GRADE LEVEL!!
Help us reach our attendance goal of 97% (as a campus) for the 2017-2018 school year! We appreciate your support as we work together to take a TRIP!
- Our annual Family Literacy Night is next Tuesday, December 5th! This is always one of our most popular events! The In-N-Out truck will be here, but you MUST pre-order your tickets! Those tickets are on sale through THIS Thursday!! Please make sure to turn in your order, so you will be able to get your burger basket for dinner! It's a great deal- $5 gets you the burger basket, and all proceeds go to benefit Elk Junior Council! We will begin passing out tickets around 5:00 that day, so you will be able to get in line, get your burgers, and be ready for the 5:30 performance with 2nd grade and Hoofbeats in the cafeteria. After the performances, the activities will begin, which include everyone's favorite....PICTURES WITH SANTA!! Pictures will be on sale for $5 (for a 5x7), so please bring cash.
- We often send out group emails to our families using the Skyward messenger system. We have been told that those people who have Gmail accounts may not be receiving the emails, as they are being sent to junk. Since it is a mass email, Gmail tags this as spam and sends these emails to the junk folder. If you have a Gmail account, please check your junk folder for these emails, as we cannot control the filtering system and cannot keep them from going to these junk folders.
- Make sure to sign up for Skyward Family Access! You can do this by visiting the district website at www.emsisd.com. Click on "Parents," then click on "Skyward Access." This will allow you to view your students' grades, sign up for bus transportation, adjust personal information such as phone numbers, email addresses, etc. This is the best way to stay connected to everything going on with your students!
- Elkins Remind text message feature is available again this year! Follow this link in order to sign up to receive text messages from Elkins for important reminders such as picture day, special events, early releases, etc.! This is a great way to stay connected!
- If you receive a call from the school during the day, please make sure to check your voicemail before returning the call. Since many teachers/staff call during their conference times, it's difficult for our front office staff to know who called you and where to direct your call. Our staff has been instructed to always leave a voicemail, so please assist us in helping our communication be effective and always listen to your voicemail to see if specific information was given, then return the call to the school and ask for the appropriate person. We appreciate your help with this.
We are happy to announce the annual EMS ISD CTE Showcase wiill be held Wednesday, December 13th from 5:30-7:30 pm at the Hollenstein Career and Technology Center. All K-11 students and parents are invited to this event to learn about the many opportunities available to them through all of the CTE programs. The priority of the EMS ISD Career and Technology department is to provide students the opportunity to gain industry-ready knowledge and skills that lead to post-secondary education and careers in high demand occupational fields.
CTE Choral Parent's Day Out
Dates to Remember
Thursday, November 30th:
All In-N-Out orders due TODAY!! This is a preorder only, and no orders will be available the night of the event
Friday, December 1st:
Enrichment Clubs from 1:45-2:30
Week of December 4th-8th:
Book Fair all Week
Tuesday, December 5th:
Literacy Night 5:30-7:00
Friday, December 15th:
Early Release at 11:40
December 18th-January 2nd
Wednesday, January 3rd:
Students return from Holiday break
Thursday, January 11th:
Junior Council Meeting 2:45-4:00 pm
Friday, January 12th:
End of semester spirit rally @ 10:00 am
Early Release for Students at 11:40 am