Go with the flow!
invest in Wind energy today!
Why your community should build a wind farm
- Much more environmentally friendly than burning fossil fuels such as coal-think of the planet your children and grandchildren will live in
- It is one of the cheapest renewable energy sources out there, costing between four and six cents per kilowatt hour
- South Dakota is the third windiest state in the US which means that wind can be an abundant source of energy for us
- Wind farms create jobs! It employed over 73,000 people in the US in 2014
- All modern wind turbines are built to last over 120,000 hours or use of 20 years!
- It doesn't use any of our precious and limited supply of water such as other renewable energy sources such as nuclear or natural gas
- Since wind turbines don't take up very much space, they can be built on existing farms which allows farmers to make more profit with energy companies paying them rent for the land that they're taking up
- Wind energy can be used to power our homes so that our children can live in a cleaner future!
How does wind energy work?
This simple animation will show you how wind turbines generate power and how wind farms work
What do we need for a wind farm?
Commercial-size wind turbines cost approximately $3-4 million for each one installed. While this might seem like a lot, building turbines is much cheaper than building a nuclear power plant ($9 billion) or a solar farm ($500 million).
- Maintenance costs often go up as a wind turbine gets older, making it more expensive
- Each wind turbine only produces 2 MW whereas a coal power plant can produce 600 MW
- Wind turbines are often an eyesore on the landscape and they can add to the noise pollution in an area
- Some animals may hit or get caught in wind turbines and die
- Wind doesn't always blow, which means that the energy supply isn't always constant
- Good places for wind turbines are usually in remote places that are far away from the cities where the energy is needed. This might add to the cost of wind turbines as additional infrastructure is needed to transport the energy.