- two kings would rule the city
- a council of elders would limit their power though
- Spartans believed in polytheism, they worshiped many gods/goddesses
- Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos the goddesses of destiny and fate.
- Atlas the god of burdens
- Zeus was the god of the earth, Adonis the god of desire, Heracles, the son of Zeus and Hera, born a human and turned into a god by Athena.
- Athena was the goddess of the city and war, Cronus was the father of the gods, Ares was the god of war, Hades the god of the underworld, Dionysus god of wine
- Spartans were mainly focused on war and fighting.
- as a child food was limited so kids had to steal and if they were caught they would be whipped, not because they were stealing the food but because they were caught
- as infants when they were born they were bathed in wine instead of water to see the babys reaction and if it was strong it would have a special way of growing up but if it was weak it was left on the hillside to die.
- Peloponnisian war was started because the Spartans were worried about the mount of power that the Athenian people had
- the Spartans eventually won in Aegospotami 405 B.C.
- Persia helped the Spartans financially
- it was know as the first Peloponnesian war
- it was less intense then the second one
- the war lasted from 460 to 404 B.C.
- in 431 B.C. the Spartans invaded Athenian people again and they started fighting again