August 17, 2022
~~ FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL - WED., AUG. 24 ~~
CSD Personnel Changes and New Staff for 2022-23
WELCOME to all our new staff! Have a great school year!
In addition to our new staff, listed below are also changes in assignments and/or new coaching/advisor positions.
CES New Staff / Staff Changes in Assignment
- Domina, Klacy - CES SpEd Para
- Dooley, Marissa - CES Temp Kdg Teacher
- Doyle, Jenn – CES Yearbook Advisor
- Griffin, Becky- CES Gr 1 Teacher
- Gunnell, Deidra - CES Gr 3 Teacher
- Heller, Amanda - CES Sped/Barton Interventionist
- Honors, Hanna – CES SpEd Para
- Kintigh, Becci - CES Kdg Teacher
- May, Kimberly - CES Tech Ed Teacher
- McMahon, Breanna – JK-6 Art Teacher
- Paulson, Maggie, CES Title Para
- Rhonda Pauly, CES Temp SpEd Para
- Uphoff, Haley – Oral Interp Advisor
- Watland, Michelle – Teammates Bldg Coor
- Webster, Hallie – CES Student Council Advisor
- Wegner, Kelsey- CES Gr 6 Teacher
Jr/Sr HS New Staff / Staff Changes in Assignment
- Bauer, Tracy - Math Tutor
- Barna, Tamara - CHS SpEd Para
- Campbell, Gary - CHS Night Custodian
- Evans, Patty – Teammates Bldg Co-Coor
- French, Tiffany – CHS Student Council
- Hickman, Sydney – Head Soccer Coach, Prom Advisor
- McGehee, Ryan – CHS Asst. Soccer Coach
- Moore, Kelli – Teammates Bldg Co-Coor
- Rehmeier, Hannah – 7-12 Vocal Music Teacher & MS GBall Coach
- Vincent, Tayton - Temporary Math Interventionist Teacher & CHS Asst. GBB Coach
HES New Staff / Staff Changes in Assignment
- Hagen, Jacqueline - HES Gr 2 Teacher
- Graveman, Keersten – Teammates Bldg Coor
- Kintigh, Shayna - HES SpEd Teacher
- Lewis, Gabby- HES Temp Kdg Teacher
- Lowe, Becky - HES Math Interventionist
- McMahon, Breanna – JK-8 Art Teacher
- Schmidtlein, Leith – HES Para
- Huddleston, Phillip – Technology Integrationist
- Marshall, Darin - Technology Coordinator
- Mertz, Doris Ann – School Library Coordinator
- Reynolds, Teri – Teammates District Coor
- Weekley, Josie – District Website Advisor
As of the first of August, all new teachers have been hired. Curriculum Dir., Nora Smolnisky, has been busy meeting with the new teachers and their mentors. The Custer Chamber gave the new teachers welcome packets and Custer Cash.
L-R: Stacey Boutain, Teacher Trainer; Tammy Barna, CHS Sped Para; Todd Gregson, HES Para; Tracy Bauer, Jr/Sr HS Math Tutor; Maggie Paulson, CES Para; Jakob Woodland, CHS SpEd Para; Karen Dooley, CES Para; Julie Cartwright, HES SpEd Para; Amanda Heller, Custer Barton Reading Para; Hanna Honors, CES SpED Para; Klacy Domina, CES SpEd Para; Kristy Reindl, CES SpEd Para; Deserie Newton, Jr/Sr HS SpEd Para; and Katie Dethlefs, Jr/Sr HS Para
Free Lunch and Breakfast Is Being Discontinued
IMPORTANT SCHOOL MEAL INFORMATION
Unfortunately, our National School Lunch Program grant for FREE lunch and breakfast
expired on June 1st.
Parent Portal is available to put money into your student meal account(s).
If you need to get signed up for Parent Portal, please contact the administrative assistant at your child’s school.
To apply for Free/Reduced Meals for 2022-23, please complete the application and return to any school office or the CSD Admin. Office.
Free/Reduced form & documentation are available HERE.
On Aug. 8, 2022, the CSD board approved changes to the District Improvement Plan that was created for the accreditation process.
Custer Youth & Alumni Foundation
CUSTER YOUTH & ALUMNI FOUNDATION
We are a local, not-for-profit organization made up of people just like you with one common goal: to assist the local youth and educators.
See the following for Student Scholarship Opportunities: http://www.custeryouthandalumnifoundation.com/Scholarships.htm
See the following for Teacher Grant opportunities: http://www.custeryouthandalumnifoundation.com/Grants.htm
EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENINGS IN CUSTER & HERMOSA
Coming Up in September 2022
CUSTER SCHOOL DISTRICT
FALL DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENING
When: Wednesday, September 7th, 2022
Appointments available at 8:00am, 9:00am & 10:00am
Where: Early Childhood Room at Custer Administration/Armory Building
Please call: 605-673-2171 to set up an appointment
For children between the ages of 3 up to 5 years old (and who are NOT enrolled in Kindergarten).
This screening will assess your child in the following developmental areas: Communication, Motor, Concepts, Vision, and/or Hearing. Call to get your child signed up for an appointment.
When: Thursday September 8, 2022
Appointments available at 8:30, 9:30 & 10:30
Where: Hermosa School Building, Early Childhood Room
Please call: 605-255-4345 to set-up an appointment
For children between the ages of 3 up to 5 years-old (and is NOT enrolled in Kindergarten).
This screening will assess your child in the following developmental areas: Communication, Motor, Concepts, Vision and/or Hearing. Call to get your child signed-up for an appointment.
Changes to COVID Operational Plan that were approved by the BoE on 8/8/22
Changes from February 2022 latest updates.
• Changes to COVID operational plan
• There will be NO masking due to close contacts, either in the classroom (close contacts with students or staff) OR from contact with positive cases in the home.
• When a student or staff member tests positive for COVID 19, they will have to isolate for the required five days AND wear a mask when they return to school for the remainder of the ten-day period.
• The COVID matrix will no longer be used. Patrons and staff will still get a weekly update on the district's COVID numbers.
• Patrons and staff will still be notified, specifically in the lower grades, when there is a COVID case in a specific classroom.
• Custer School District recognizes that masking will now be a personal choice, with the one exception, and that patrons have the right to wear as well as not wear masks.
• The Custer School District school board will meet in case of health emergencies to make operational decisions.
Exchange Students Looking for Host Families
EXCHANGE ARE STUDENTS WAITING FOR AN AMERICAN HOME
FRANZISKA is from GERMANY. She is fun, open-minded and loves young children. FRANZISKA is sporty and enjoys volleyball. Because of a previous visit, she is intrigued with American Culture!
BERNARDO from BRAZIL is very polite and always in a good mood. He enjoys running and basketball. BERNARDO is excited to be a part of an American family and high school!
These students can be placed with a Welcome Family for 4-6 weeks, 1 semester, or through the school year.
⚽ ARMELLE is from France. She has been playing soccer since she was 7. She is a starter, plays central defense and is a substitute goalkeeper. Her team finished 1st in their league last year.
Her interviewer states, "she has a great attitude! Her host family will enjoy this adorable, social and caring young lady.
⚽ NOAH is from Germany. Soccer has been his sport since he was 4. Noah says, "I always loved it and am very good at it. I love that it's a team sport."
His interviewer describes Noah as very friendly, open-minded, curious and polite.
These students arrive with grateful enthusiasm and their own spending money. For more information contact Greenheart Coor Dayna Dick at 605-484-2738 - firstname.lastname@example.org
First Practice for Competitive Cheer and Soccer
Competitive Cheer Practice -
8/15-8/18 Football pract. 5-6pm; cont. prac. 6-8pm
8/22 Foot. Prac. 4-6
8/23 Con. pr. 4:30-6, FB 6-7
8/24 FB 4-5:45
8/25 Con. 4:30-6, FB 6-7
8/29 Con. 4:30-6, FB 6-7
8/30 Con. 4:30-6, FB 6-7
8/31 FB 4-5:45
9/1 Contest at Belle Fourche
9/2 FB at West Central
All forms and physicals must be completed in order to participate in practice in cheer. Contact Cherri Block at email@example.com OR Sheri Deatherage at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Soccer Practice -
August 1st - August 17th, practice will be from 8 am to 10 am.
August 18th - September 21st, practice will be from 4 pm to 6pm.
Contact Head Coach Sydney Hickman at email@example.com
- Football Practice - Email: -Coach David Williams @ firstname.lastname@example.org or call 517-0224
- GOLF PRACTICE - Email: Head Coach Paul Kelley email@example.com
IMPORTANT CONCUSSION TESTING INFORMATION
There will be no ImPact testing days this year. We are using a new concussion test system called Sway Medical and it is done yearly, so we will need to have all players test. It is an app on their phone, so having them download the app before they arrive will move things along faster. I will attach the app icon to the bottom of this so everyone knows what it looks like. The testing process will be very easy and can be done before we get going with practice on the first day. I have also attached an information sheet for Sway Medical. Please reach out to me with any questions or concerns! Tyra Jons, Athletic Trainer 605-770-0390. This is required for all student-athletes participating on a high school team. At this time it is not required for jr high athletes.
Activity passes (tickets) are available at the HS & the admin. offices. Activity passes are accepted at all regular home season games, in addition, to regularly scheduled CSD plays and concerts.
Passes will be sold during the first few home games of volleyball and football.
Prices remain the same as in the past several years:
*Family Passes: $80 maximum – for parents & all K-12 students in the same household.
Purchased individually the prices are as follows:
*Adults (including college-age students) - $40 per pass
*High School 9-12 - $30 per pass
*Middle School 6-8 - $20
*Elementary K-5 - $20
(grandparents, adult children, or college-age students are not eligible for the family pass.)
* Complimentary senior citizen passes for Custer County Residents who are age 60+.
These are also available at all school offices.
Back to School Open House ~ Custer Elementary School – Monday, Aug. 22 ~ 4-6 p.m.
JK-Kdg Meeting – Aug. 22 – 5:30 p.m. – CES Gym
1st day of School – Wed., Aug. 24
CSD School Board Members & Meeting Dates for 2022-23
Changes to the COVID Operational Plan since Feb. 2022
- Changes to COVID Operational Plan
- There will be NO masking due to close contacts, either in the classroom (close contacts with students or staff) OR from contact with positive cases in the home.
- When a student or staff member tests positive for COVID-19, they will have to isolate for the required five days AND wear a mask when they return to school for the remainder of the ten-day period.
- The COVID matrix will no longer be used. Patrons and staff will still get a weekly update on the district's COVID numbers.
- Patrons and staff will still be notified, specifically in the lower grades, when there is a COVID case in a specific classroom.
- Custer School District recognizes that masking will now be a personal choice, with one exception, and that patrons have the right to wear as well as not wear masks.
- The Custer School District school board will meet in case of health emergencies to make operational decisions. (8/8/22 - approved by CSD BoE)
Please note: This is not an inclusive list of district school events/activities, but rather an “electronic school bulletin board.”
If you have a school event or school-related announcement you would like posted, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Members of this mailing list will receive information about Custer School District holidays, school board news, reminders on upcoming events, activity schedules and more.