KHS Bear Tracks
Engaged in Learning. Prepared for Life.
November 10, 2023
Please use the circular drive near the front door for student drop off. Families should NOT use the Bus Zone for student drop off.
KIBSD wants to encourage all our students’ families to visit their student’s school. Whether it is to drop something off, eat lunch with your student, or maybe contact your student’s teacher or administrator - we welcome you! Coming soon, the front doors to KHS will be locked during regular school hours, which will be a change from having the doors unlocked. This will not affect students being able to take advantage of KHS’s open campus to leave for lunch and come back. Plans and resources will be in place to assist with access to the building for students arriving late, those students who have free periods or want to leave campus for lunch.
Students and Parents will receive notification from KHS administration when the day comes that the doors will be locked during class time. KHS will be utilizing the same systems in place all the other KIBSD schools in town. When you come to the school and find the doors locked during class times, please do not let this deter you. Look for the doorbell camera (pictured) next to the school front door which will be answered by school staff who will be happy to assist you.
Unfortunately, in today's world it is necessary that we take appropriate precautions to make sure your student is in a safe location. This means keeping the exterior doors locked to limit the access to the building for people who do not have a legitimate reason to be in our schools. We want our students to be in an environment where they will be able to focus on learning. To achieve this, we start with ensuring their school space is safe. We are following federal education and safety experts’ recommendations to increase school safety by having secured, monitored, and controlled entrances.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your school administrator or KIBSD Director of Safety Kat Gambling at email@example.com or 907-486-7424
KHS Yearlong Activities Calender
Key Club is now taking pre-orders for fresh holiday wreaths. KHS families may pre-order a wreath and your student can pick it up for you. $35 per wreath.
Click on the link below to pre-order a wreath. It’s super easy. Pay for your wreath when it is picked up from Room F-104. You can pay with cash, or a check made out to KHS Key Club.
Calling All Alaskan Artists and Students
The Southeast Alaska Discovery Center is pleased to announce the 2024 Annual Hummingbird Festival, beginning Friday, April 5, 2024 in Ketchikan, Alaska. Since 2006 a juried art show, dedicated to the migratory birds of Alaska, has been presented as part of the festival by the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center and the Ketchikan Visitors Bureau. Artists of all ages, from around Alaska are invited to participate in this exhibit.
Juvenile Best of Show -$100.00
Juvenile First Prize - $75.00
Juvenile Honorable Mention - $50.00
Adult Best of Show (18 & up) - $500.00
Adult First Prize - $300.00
Adult Honorable Mention - $200.00
- Entry deadline: Friday, March 29, 2024, at 5:00 p.m. The art show will be on display at the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center until June 30, 2024.
- Artwork must include birds, avian habitat and/or migratory bird patterns from the list provided on the back page of the entry form (attached pdf).
- Artwork must be recent, original, and not previously exhibited in Ketchikan, Alaska.
- Open to all Alaskan artists working in all media with a maximum of two entries per artist. Label each piece with “item 1” and “item 2” to correspond with each entry form.
- All two-dimensional entries must be framed and ready to hang (hardware, wire etc.) All three-dimensional entries must be ready for display. Note on entry form if you include stands or props with your piece.
- You may sell your artwork at the exhibit. Proceeds benefit the artist (65%) with 25% going to SEADC educational programs including this juried art show and 10% to KVB.
- Submit your work with entry form attached to:
Southeast Alaska Discovery Center
50 Main Street, Ketchikan, Alaska 99901
C/O Hummingbird Festival
Mailed entries must include return postage.
We reserve the right to exclude work that is inappropriate for this exhibit or is not properly prepared for display. Your work will be treated with care. The Forest Service and the Ketchikan Visitors Bureau are not responsible for loss or damage of artwork.
Other activities to be featured in the Alaska Hummingbird Festival will include bird identification walks, Friday Night Insight lecture series and conservation education programs focused on birds. The schedule will be published in March 2024.
For questions contact Hazel Brewi at 907-228-6246 or firstname.lastname@example.org