Got a Stinky Baby?
Sponge Bathing Method
Steps to Bathing Your Newborn
2. Undress baby except for his/her diaper and wrap in a towel for warmth.
3. If needed, gently wipe around newborn's eye with a cotton swab with warm water while holding the baby's head.
4. While holding your baby, wet your baby's hair with a washcloth, and then massage shampoo around the baby's whole head.
*It is okay to wash gently around the fontanels*
5. Rinse baby's hair with water until all the cleanser is removed.
6. Wrap the towel around baby including the top of it's head.
7. Unwrap baby from towel including diaper and begin carefully scrubbing body with a washcloth or sponge with warm water and baby wash.
8. Wash the diaper area last using clean warm water. For a baby girl, wipe the diaper area gently from front to back. For a boy, wash the penis and genital area, avoiding pulling back the foreskin, and also wipe front to back.
9. Clean the baby's umbilical cord gently by using a cotton swab.
10. Wrap baby and dress him/her back into clothes.
- One or two soft sponges
- A couple of plush towels (the bottom one can be hooded)
- A mild, unscented soap or body wash and shampoo (or a product that does double duty)
- Cotton balls
- Rubbing alcohol
- A plastic basin filled with warm water
- A plastic cup
- Baby lotion
- Diaper cream (if needed)
- A clean diaper
- A fresh set of clothes
- A blanket or two (one to cover parts of him during the sponge bath and another for after the sponge bath if your baby likes to be swaddled)
Recommended Bathing Products
- Hair: Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns
- Towel: Circo Hooded Towel
- Mosturizer: Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion