Hawaiian Islands (Hawaii)
- Hawaii is home to many kinds of people with many kinds of ethnic backrounds! Hawaiians are home to the Japanese,Polynesians, Chineese, and New Englanders!
-Hawaii is composed of 8 major Hawaiian islands;several atoils, numerous smaller islets, and under seatmounts in the North Pacific Ocean.The Hawaiian Islands extend for over 1500 miles!
-The climate of Hawaii is mild, but humid in certain areas of it! The islands receive most rainfall from the trade winds on their north and east flanks (the windward side).
Foods Grown and Produced in Hawaii
People and the Food History
• Poke - Sliced raw fish mixed with seaweed,onions, chiles, and soy sauce.
• Aloha Chicken Wings - Baked chicken wing appetizers with a fruity pineapple - orange based sauce.
• Chicken long rice - Chicken cooked in chicken broth, ginger, green onions, and long rice.
• Saimin - Noodle soup dish with various meats and/or dumplings
• Lomi Lomi Salmon - Popular luau dish is named for the Hawaiian words for rub, massage, or knead. Salt rubbed into salmon then salmon, onions, and peppers are rubbed together.
• Kimichi - This Korean salt - pickled cabbage dish.
• Poi - Polynesian staple food made from taro or corm
• Chicken and Pork Adobo - Chicken or Pork with a strong vinegar flavor that is balanced by the pepper, soy sauce, and garlic
• Malasada - Pourtuguese donus deep fried + coated with sugar
• Morimoto waikiki - Beds of chocolates in numerous forms
• Halo-Halo - Popular Filipino dessert with mixtures of shaved ice and evaporated milk and then added to boiled sweet beans
• Pineapple Upside-Down cake - Cake that is baked in a single pan, then turned over and served upside down with fruits on top