St. Joseph Elementary School
Address: 249 Church Street, Mississauga, ON, L5M 1N1
School Phone Number: 905-826-4422
St. Joseph General Mailbox: St.JosephESMississaugaInfo@dpcdsb.org
Principal: A. Cavaliere
Administrative Assistant: I. Carabetta
Catholic School Council Chair: T. Prsa
Superintendent of Schools- Mississauga North: M. Lewis
Trustee Ward 6 & 11: L. del Rosario
Associate Pastor: Rev. P. Dobson, St. Joseph Parish
St. Joseph School Hours for the 2021-2022 school year are:
Morning entry: 8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
AM Recess: 10:09 a.m. - 10:24 a.m.
Lunch: 11:48 a.m. - 12:48 p.m.
PM Recess: 2:12 p.m. - 2:27 p.m.
Staggered Dismissal: 3:05 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Prayer for November
Have mercy on your people,
and open our hearts to peace and love.
Reward all who have died for their country,
And grant that Canada and all Nations
May continue to work
For Peace and Justice.
Bless us in your service
And help us to follow Jesus Christ
Who is our saviour and Lord
For ever and ever
Thank you to our Ms. Scaffidi's Grade 3/4 class along with Ms. Leko and Mme Guzman for preparing a special virtual liturgy for our school to commemorate Remembrance Day!
November's Virtue of the Month is: Conscience
This month, we celebrate the Virtue of Conscience. God has given us the ability to know the right and decent way to act and then to act that way. We trust that the common Spirit we share inspires us and guides us to make good decisions if we allow our conscience to be well-informed;
A person of conscience allows prayer and scripture to influence them.
A person of conscience:
- Chooses to do the "right thing" and feels good about it
- Can see how their actions may hurt others
- Admits their wrong doing and feels badly
- Says "sorry" and tries to make up for mistakes
Our daily prayer for November...
Let us now pray... for the grace and strength to be people of conscience- people who know the good and decent way to act and then choose to act that way.
Social Outreach Activities Are Back at St. Joseph!
SOCKTOBEROur Grade 8 Youth Faith Ambassadors held their third Annual Socktober drive during the month of October. This year, we once again teamed up with Jordan's Annual Sock Drive! You can follow Jordan's journey on Facebook and Twitter (@JordansSocks). This year, we collected 625 socks! Way to go, St. Joseph! Thank you for your generous contribution!
CANDY'S FOR KIDS DRIVE
From November 1s to 8th, the Grade 8 YFA's initiated our third annual Candy for Kids Drive to support of Dr. Simone's Canadian Food for Children Charity. We collected 9 boxes of candy donations from our school community! Thank you for always supporting our social outreach initiatives!
St. Joseph Parish Information
Pastor: Fr. Paul Dobson
Associate Pastor: Fr. Michael Corpus
Deacons: George Jurenas & Lionel Gomes
Parish Staff: Ann Cavallin, Michele Mullins
Office Phone Number: 905-826-2766
Parish Email: stjosephMI@archtoronto.org
Parish Website: http://stjosephmi.archtoronto.org
Sacrament of Confirmation: Congratulations to our Grade 8 students who received the Sacrament of Confirmation on October 12th!
Students in Grade 7 and 8 who have not completed their sacramental preparation will be able to register in December 2021. Please check the parish website for details.
Sacrament of First Holy Communion: Congratulations to our Grade 3 and 4 students who received their Sacrament of First Holy Communion on October 17th!
Students in Grade 2, 3 and above who have not completed their sacramental preparation will be able to register in December 2021. Please check the parish website for details.
If you have any questions or concerns about your child's Sacraments, please contact St. Joseph Parish via email at email@example.com
Daily Active Screening and Verification
Daily Active Screening and Verification
Students will have two options to show they have taken and passed the assessment
- Students can take a screenshot on their phone or device and show it to their teacher
- Hold up a card with a green checkmark. Parents can print their own from the attachment or they can be available at the school for students. Please let us know if you require this option.
In the event that a student cannot provide verification that they have passed their daily self-screening, the parent/guardian will be contacted to verify that their child has passed the active screening, or they must make arrangements to pick up their child.
Transportation Notice: Revised Inclement Weather Procedures for 2021-2022
Please be advised that our Transportation Department has established a new "weather zone" procedure to monitor and communicate school bus cancellations on inclement weather days. School bus cancellations will be sent through the STOPR website, Twitter by 6 a.m. each morning. St. Joseph -Mississauga is in Zone 1. Please read the attachment below for additional information.
For more information, please visit www.stopr.ca and click on the inclement weather tab.
Winter Safety Tips
Our cold weather is already upon us! Now it's important that everyone using our school bus system is familiar with STOPR's winter weather procedures.
STOPR will monitor weather and road conditions during the winter months and make a decision to cancel transportation by 6:00 a.m. each morning.
School Bus Safety Tips for Children During the Winter Months
- Whenever possible, wait with your child(ren) at the bus stop or arrange someone to wait with them;
- Allow extra time to get to the bus stop location;
- Plan to arrive 5 or 10 minutes early to your bus stop;
- Make sure your children are dressed appropriately for the cold weather as unexpected mechanical problems with school buses can occur;
- Wear bright coloured clothing or wear a coat with reflective safety strips for added visibility.
- Students and parents should maintain physical distancing between family groups and wear a mask while waiting for the bus;
- Always sit in your assigned seat;
What Happens if the Bus cancelled on inclement mornings?
- Please check the weather and listen for announcements each morning. Announcements are announced on the radio, on our school twitter and webpage "Yellow Banner"
- Does your child(ren) have a plan? Emergency contact person or neighbour to go to if their bus does not arrive;
- Does your child have a "bus buddy" or someone they can walk with and wait with for the bus?
- Please remember that if your bus is cancelled in the morning, students will also be absent in the afternoon.
- On bus cancellation days, all students will be learning online that day, due to public health directives and to avoid mixing cohorts
- Your child's teacher will provide online learning. Devices will not be deployed from the school on inclement weather days.
Kiss N' Ride
- Please drive to the end of the Kiss N' Ride to drop off your child. Students will then walk to the sidewalk and into the schoolyard.
- Drop off begins at 8:30 a.m. (Supervision begins)
- Parents should NOT be using the closest lane to the sidewalk. This is our bus lane and fire route. In the interest of student and pedestrian safety, it is essential that parents/guardians avoid driving or parking in the bus lane.
- If you need to park, please park at the front of the school or the green P across the street. Please do not leave your vehicle unattended in the Kiss N' Ride, Bus Lanes.
Thank you in advance for your assistance in ensuring the safety of our students and staff!
Progress Report Cards/Communication of Learning
- Progress Reports will be sent home electronically to families on November 16th, 2021.
- Reports will be distributed to students' email address. Please login to firstname.lastname@example.org to find your child's email. Below is the infographic showing how to find your child's email. You will need your child's student number and password that they use to access Google Classroom.
- Parent/Teacher Interview evening will be held on November 18 (as required for particular students). Please note that due to COVID-19 guidelines, interviews evening will be held virtually. There will be no face to face interviews/conferences.
- Parent/Teacher Conference Notices were sent home on November 10th. Please return forms to your child's teacher by Monday, November 15th.
School Cash Online
We ask that all families take time to register for School Cash Online. This is the primary method of payment in all DPCDSB schools for school related events. As such, we will only be accepting payments through SchoolCashOnline. Please register in order to avoid missing deadlines and to ensure participation in school events and activities. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
To directly login or register, visit School Cash Online
What payment methods will be available? Parents/guardians will be able to pay online using Visa, Mastercard, and eCheque.
Secondary School Virtual Information Sessions for Grade 8 Students
2021 Secondary School Information Session Dates
The information session for St. Aloysius Gonzaga will take place on November 18th at 7 p.m. Please check the school website and attached PDF for details.
Review the attached pdf for the 2021 Secondary School Information Schedule for all DPCDSB Secondary Schools.
To register for the 2022-2023 school year, please visit the DPCDSB Online Registration webpage. For more information about the information sessions, parents/guardians should contact their local secondary school directly.
Catholic School Council
Welcome to our 2021-2022 Catholic School Council Members:
- Chairperson: Tania P.
- Treasurer: Mackenzie N.
- Parish Representative: Mary Claire M.
- OAPCD Representative: Isabella F.
- Fundraising Representatives: Catharine O. & Chibuike U.
- Secretary: Katherine L.
- Voting Member: Allison R.
- Teaching Representative: Cindy B.
- Non-Teaching Representatives: Regina Z. & Leslie G.
This year, our Catholic School Council will be coordinating a "contactless" chocolate fundraiser. Please review the information below for more details.
Future Dates for our Catholic School Council meetings (all meetings will be held virtually via Zoom):
- Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 1, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
All Catholic School Council meetings are open to all parents/guardians at any meetings this year. It is a great opportunity to attend these meetings in order to hear about some initiatives we are pursuing at St. Joseph and/or share your ideas. In addition, the approved minutes will be posted on our website within two weeks of approval.
World's Finest Chocolates St. Joseph Catholic School Council Fundraiser
Our online store is still open! All you have to do is CLICK on the links to visit the online store. Parents/guardians, you can send the fundraiser link to your friends and family and ask them to participate in our fundraiser also!
This fundraising campaign will help to subsidize the 2021/2022 student agendas, Sacramental gifts for First Holy Communion and Confirmation, Grade 8 graduation gifts, FDK celebration of learning, Christmas at St. Joseph, guest speakers, and hopefully many other programs and activities for our students.
GET STARTED: CLICK on the link below to access the Chocolate Fundraising Webstore.
Our Early Bird draws will take place in late November! Thank you for your generous support!
The St. Joseph Catholic School Council
Before and After School Programs- Register Online Today
PLASP programs are licensed by the Ministry of Education and are adhering to strict public health guidelines. Highly trained staff facilitate fun, age-appropriate activities both indoors and outdoors.
Before School programs operate from 7:30 a.m. until school starts and include a breakfast daily. After School programs begin at school dismissal, include a substantial daily snack, and run until 6:00 p.m.
PLASP Child Care Services is a charitable organization, operating on a not-for-profit basis, providing award winning programs for children, for more than 40 years.
Visit plasp.com to register, or contact the PLASP Support Services Centre at 647-484-4372
Student and Family Advocacy Initiative:
Mark Your Calendars
- November 1: All Saints' Day
- November 2: All Souls' Day
- November 5- 11: Veterans' Week
- November 8: Indigenous Veterans' Day
- November 11: Remembrance Day
- November 12: PA Day: No School for Students
- November 13: World Kindness Day
- November 14: World Day of the Poor
- November 16: Report card distribution
- November 17: Catholic School Council Meeting at 6:30 p.m.
- November 18: Progress Report Interviews/
- November 21: Feast of Christ the King
- November 21-27: Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week
- November 25: Catholic School Council Member Training at 7:30 p.m.
- November 28: First Sunday of Advent
- November 30: School Photo Day
- December 8: Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- December 20-January 1: Christmas Break
- December 25: Christmas