BAMS Staff Newsletter
January 3, 2015 - Volume 3, Issue 14
Be Awesome Today!!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
By June of 2016, 80% of students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade will show growth in their opinion writing rubric score from the September 2015 opinion writing rubric score.
- Have Patience and Courage
- Purposefully Use Learning Targets/Lesson Goals for Every Lesson
- Have Solution Based Discussions
- Be an Award Winning School - DPI School of Recognition/PBIS School of Merit
Driving Question for 2015-2016:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare all our students for higher level thinking opportunities?
News and Notes
- Thank you to everyone for making Joan's last day at BAMS a memorable one. It was also great to see so many people out at Schmitty's to honor her. She will truly be missed!! Monday will be Brenda Vander Pas' first official day as our new school secretary. She is up for the challenge and will do great! Joan will also be in this week at various times helping with the transition.
- I hope everyone had a chance to relax a little more during the Winter Break. I very happy for us that we had that time to refocus and recharge. This next stretch of the school year is an important one. I know we are up for the challenge!
- School Dance - Our next school dance will be January 15th from 6-8pm in the BA gym. Please consider chaperoning or stopping in to check out the action and to hangout with our students. Good times!
- Thank you for the great Christmas card and gift. It was a nice surprise. I feel truly fortunate to be serving you and our students/families.
- Attendance Reminder - This is a reminder about the importance of taking timely and accurate attendance. It's important we know where are students are to maintain safety. I will continue to remind us about this through the newsletter and at our staff meetings. We have many things to do each day, reminders can be helpful. :)
- January In-service Plan - As of this moment, the plan is to meet for PD on Jensen and FIRST Instruction from 8-10am, United Healthcare Presentation 10am-12pm, and the rest of the day is staff work time. You'll get more information as we can closer to the 18th; I just wanted to give you an idea of what to expect.
- Please continue to post your lesson goal/learning target for each lesson. This is one of our building goals and a best practice teaching strategy.
- January Staff Meeting - At our January 6th staff meeting, we will have time to upload things to MLP/OASYS, review SLOs, review PPGs, etc. Please plan to bring materials to the DMR to work together on this for this day.
Out of the Office
- January 5th - Admin meeting 9-11am, DMR
- January 6th - District EL Meeting 7:45-8:45am, Cafe
- January 13th - BCT Team Meeting 8:30-10:00am, Team Room
- February 10-12 - Middle School Principal Convention, All Day, Wisconsin Dells
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
Minor Behavior form link - here
Major Behavior form link - here
Why Do We Discipline? = To Maintain Safety, To Teach, and To Build Relationships
- 4 Oriole Way Goals for 2015-2016 - More Purposeful Parent Communication/Engagement, Increase Incentive Opportunities, PBIS School of Merit, Increase Student Connectedness at BAMS - We are off to a great start for this year. I am proud of our team, staff, and students.
- 4 to 1; 16 to 1 (at-risk students) - How are you doing with the amount of positives to negatives with our students? Remember, a positive could be a material thing like a BAMS Buck, piece of candy, pencil, etc. or it could be a non-material thing like a high five, positive comment, neutral comment, a smile, etc. Try to find new ways to show students you care for them in 2016.
- NEXT Meeting - January 6th, 7am
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
To Do List
- Mid-Year SLO/PPG Review - Due TBD - a date will be set at a later time
- Complete Survey Analysis - CONTINUING Educators/Specialists - Due February 15th
- Complete Documentation Log - Due by May 15th
- Make 2 Professional Visits to Another Classroom - Due by End of Year
Click Here for a link to Teacher Effectiveness Info from CESA 6
Click Here for a Teacher Effectiveness Calendar for EDUCATORS/SPECIALISTS
December School Board Meeting Highlights
- The Board approved the 2016-2017 school calendar.
- Mr. Sadoff shared the plan to open the HS weight room and fitness center to the public. Spin classes will also be offered.
- The Board was updated on the Adopt-a-Family program at FLC. This year the program supported 113 students in the district.
Next Meeting - January 25th, 2015 at 7pm
Dates to Remember
January 5 - BAMS Medal of Excellence Names to Jennifer
January 6 - Staff Meeting 2:50-3:30pm
January 13 - STAR Reading Testing - during SSR/SSW
January 15 - End of Second Quarter
January 15 - 2nd Quarter Pep Assembly 1:45pm
January 15 - School Dance #2 - 6-8pm, BAMS Gymnasium
January 18 - Writing Samples Scores Due to Adam
January 18 - District Inservice - no students
January 19 - STAR Math Testing - during math classes
January 19 - 2nd Quarter Grades Due 3pm
January 20 - Staff Meeting 2:50-3:30pm
January 20 - Freshman Orientation for our 8th Graders - 6pm, HMPAC
January 22 - 7th Grade Ski Trip
January 25 - School Board Meeting 7pm
January 26 - BAMS Spelling Bee - 1:30pm - Pep Assembly Schedule
January 29 - 8th Grade Ski Trip
*See Google Doc titled "2015-2016 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.