TE KURA O HUATOKI. WEEK 8 TERM 3 2019
SCHOOL GOAL: BEING INVOLVED
WHY: When you are involved your mind is busy, your body is busy – You have fulfilment!
SIGNS OF SUCCESS:
* You are involved in a sports team or drama group or lunchtime club – anything that is involvement
* You develop new friends, new skills and new learning
* You are kept busy and contribute in some way to the school, community or group
* You are enjoy life a lot more and feel fulfilled!
KIA ORA WHANAU, FROM MR O
Good luck to Mrs Lash, Mrs Seed who are playing in the Taranaki Teacher netball team versus the Hawkes Bay teachers netball team at 10.30am tomorrow at the Courts! Good luck also to Mr George, Mr Ransfield and Mr Bishop who are playing against the Hawkes Bay Teachers rugby team at 12.30pm at Vogeltown park. Kia Kaha whanau!
We have had a great celebrating Te wiki o te reo maori - Maori language week, with some quizzes and awesome class lessons. It has been great to see some of our NZ bands put their songs out this week with maori lyrics. Check out the link below:
We are very close to receiving the new classroom at the Senior school - it looks awesome! We are going to have a class in this room in 2020, but for the rest of 2019, this will be another learning space for group, production practices and clubs. We are looking to have a combined Yr 4 and 5 class in this room in 2020 - this will mean however that we will not be having straight Y3 and Yr 4 classes in 2020. The idea is to take the pressure off all the middle and senior rooms in 2020 with class sizes to be about 25/26 in each class.
You will also notice we now have bollards at the entrance to the senior school - this is to make this space a lot safer for our kids and community. During school time, after school hours and in the weekends the senior school will be locked to allow safe use of our grounds.
While we are discussing new classrooms - it looks like we will be receiving some MOE funding for another learning space! We are only in the early stages of sifting through this new information - but we envisage a new shared space at the junior school. Exciting times for Vogeltown School!
New Plymouth Cross Country
Written by Lleyton Goodin
MEASLES IN TARANAKI
Taranaki has had several cases of people with measles. We don’t have an outbreak at the moment but more cases are likely because of the large outbreak in Auckland.
Now is a very good time to make sure everyone in your whanau has protection against measles. Children should be vaccinated on time at 15 months and four years of age.
If you don’t think you are immune to measles you need to make an appointment with your GP clinic for an MMR vaccination.
Please be patient if you can’t be vaccinated straight away. It is not possible to vaccinate everyone at once.
The risk of catching measles in Taranaki is still low.
Taranaki DHB has a new measles FAQs page which aims to answer questions you might have about measles.
Click the link below to view the FAQs, which can also be reached via the Taranaki DHB website home page. http://www.tdhb.org.nz/services/public_health/measles.shtml
The school office is in the process of making sure we have immunisation certificates on file for all students, so that in the event of a measles outbreak, we know which students are not immunised, as they may be required to stay away from school until the outbreak is contained. You may be contacted by the school office and asked to bring in proof of your child's immunisation. Thank you for your cooperation.
ENROLMENTS FOR 2020
OUT OF ZONE ENROLMENTS
We are aware that some parents did not have enough time to fill in the surveys or get to them on these nights.
We are still after as much community voice as we can, especially around the school values - we received some great feedback about the values in Term 1 and we have now broken this down in to two areas - Curriculum delivery and Vogeltown student dispositions. These surveys will close at the end of the last week of this term.
Please click on one of the links below for a link to either a google form or a survey monkey to complete the survey and provide feedback:
Term 4 Summer Sports
Registrations for the following sports are now available:
- Superstar Cricket (Yr 0-4): We have space for 1 more player in our Kiwi Cricket team (yr 0-2) and 2 more spaces in our Incrediball team (Yr 3-4) . Played on a Friday evening at various grounds from 5.30pm. Please see Michelle at the Junior office asap if your child is interested.
- futureFERNS Netball (Yr 0-2): Registrations are now closed. Teams will be emailed out next week.
- Summer Soccer (Yr 0-6): Registrations are now closed. Team info will be sent out by email next week.
- Touch Rugby (Yr 0-6): Registrations are now closed. Team info will be emailed out next week.
- Summer Hockey (Yr 3-6): Registrations are now closed. Team details will be sent through by email next week.
Other options for term 4 sports outside of school:
- SuperSmash Cricket (Yr5-6): Any year 5/6 children keen to play cricket will need to join with a club. NPOB Junior cricket registrations for Term 4 are now open and players wishing to register can click here to fill in the form on CricHQ. Details to join Woodleigh Cricket Club to be advised.
- Hockey (Yr0-2): Any players aged 4-6 yrs who are keen to try Hockey can join the Taranaki Hockey Funsticks programme by clicking here and registering directly with Taranaki Hockey.
VOGELTOWN SCHOOL CALENDAR 2019
TERM CALENDAR – Put all these dates in your diary or your phone!
Remember to check the school calendar on our website. We will put all updates on facebook &
the website. Link to school calendar: http://www.vogeltown.school.nz/calendar/
18 September - Pies orders due back in
18 September - Gymsport competition
19 September - School Disco night. (Juniors 5.30 - 6.15pm, Middles and Seniors 6.30 - 7.30pm
20 September - Four Year Old Friday
23 - 25 September - Talent Quest Heats
24 September - Senior Social dancing and Build a Business awards night
24 September - Talent Quest Final
25 September - Starting school the VS way evening (5.00 - 6.00pm)
27 September - Last day of Term 3
14 October - First day of Term 4 2019
HOME AND SCHOOL UPDATE
The Home & School Whanau updates:
Mad Hatters SCHOOL DISCO – Time for our tamariki to get their dancing shoes on and hats on – please note that we are not selling glow items this year, a gold coin donation would be appreciated. If you are able to assist with supervision please email Harmonytoia@gmail.com
ANDERSON PIES – order forms have been circulated for the ever popular Anderson Pies, great time to stock up the freezer for these chilly winter evenings. Orders need to be in by 18 September with delivery to school planned for 26 September. NOTE Extended time frame!
Home & School Whanau
Remember if you have any issues you wish to discuss, please come in and see me or contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
On behalf of the Vogeltown team,
Ka kite ano
Jeremy Ogle - Principal