Irons Jr. High Newsletter
We Are Hawks!
Week of August 24th
Thank you for a great second week of school!
I have been meeting with my staff consistently and our teachers are reporting that students are meeting the challenges of remote learning. We thank you for your patience and flexibility as we all learn how to best navigate hurdles in this learning platform. I have asked our staff to continue to grow at recording lessons, increasing rigor of course work, and reaching out for individual and small group tutorial sessions. We still have room to grow, and will continue working daily to better serve you and your children.
I would like to take a moment to remind everyone that students must engage in every class daily to be considered present for the period. What does engagement mean? Engagement is the online equivalent of being present. Being present online means that the student logged on to Canvas AND engaged some work or some assignment. Engagement does not mean submitted. Basically, the student is present if they log in and do something for each class. We are asking our teachers to start every lesson with an attendance warm up that will lead into the lesson for the day. All students should complete the warm up before moving into that days lesson. We are working to have all lessons available earlier for those who are up and ready!
Please keep an eye on the weather as we move into mid-week. CISD will put out any updates as they are warranted.
As always please let me know if something is not right. We are working to get better every day!
We Are Hawks!
Social Distancing Procedures
Split Bell Schedule Will Promote Social Distancing
One Way Halls Will Promote Social Distancing
Irons Jr. High District Assessment Canvas Course
Your child will be invited to join a new canvas course titled _054 Irons JH District Assessments later this week. This course is where students will take their district assessment such as benchmarks and screeners.
Remote and in-person students will need to login to canvas and click the green accept button that appears at the top of the screen.
Students may be able to see an assessment during the available testing window, but will not be able to access the assessment without a password.
- Passwords will be provided by the teacher assigning the assessment.
- For example, if the teacher assigns a math benchmark, your math teacher will provide you with the password for that benchmark.
Passwords will be different for each assessment taken.
Return To Campus Ramp Up
We will ramp up in person learning for students on August 31st with a different group of students each day. This will allow us to practice our social distancing procedures in a smaller environment. This will serve as an orientation for any new students to Irons Jr. High, along with a good refresher for our returning students.
Starting Monday August 31, 2020 students who chose in-person learning will come to school one day that week based on the following alpha break.
- Monday 8/31 - Last Names A through C
- Tuesday 9/1 - Last Names D through J
- Wednesday 9/2 - Last Names K through Q
- Thursday 9/3 - Last Names R through Z
Should your child be attending in-person instruction and you plan for them to ride the bus, we are asking you to please visit Register for Transportation and check Yes again to ensure we have your child selected for a route.
For complete information on bus transportation, including bus numbers and stop times, please visit https://www.conroeisd.net/transportation/ .
Visit the website for more information!
Practice will start on August 31st and will run from 7:15-8:15 am.
Irons Yearbooks On Sale Now
2020-2021 yearbooks are currently available for $45, which will be the best price of the year!
Please go to www.Balfour.com to pre-order.
1. Students should log into Canvas via the Single Sign on System. To log onto the SSO follow these directions:
Step 1. Go to conroeisd.net
Step 2. Click on Conroe ISD SSO at the top of the webpage
Step 3. Log into the SSO by using the student's username and password
Step 4. Click on Canvas in the SSO
2. Once in Canvas, students will see their courses. They need to engaged with every course daily. The State of Texas has a rule that for students to receive credit for a course they must be in attendance 90% of the time. They have not waived this rule for remote learning - so it is imperative that students engage in their courses when they are scheduled.
3. During Remote Learning for All (through September 7, 2020) our teachers will have synchronous time available. Please see you teachers Canvas page for times.
4. Free and Reduced Meal Application must be updated by September 24th to continue to receive services after that date. The online application only take about 15 minutes to complete, and significantly speeds up the approval process.
5. Curbside Meal Distribution will begin Thursday, August 13, breakfast and lunch meals will be available curbside at Irons for students to purchase or free to students who qualify.
We are no longer allowed by the state to distribute meals free to all students.
Meals will be available on the bus ramp Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 a.m. until noon. Multiple meals will be distributed on pick up days.
Tuesday: 2 breakfast meals/ 2 lunch meals
Thursday: 3 breakfast meals/ 3 lunch meals
A student meal card located in Parent Access must be presented to scan and identify the student when meals are picked up. The card can be printed on paper or presented electronically on a phone. No change will be made for cash transactions and any change will be applied to student's meal account.
Pre-payments can be made at https://www.myschoolbucks.com/
Meal prices and the free and reduced meal application are available on the child nutrition website. https://www.conroeisd.net/department/child-nutrition/