Collins High School
December 11, 2015
Youth Services Center Surveys:
Every couple of years the Youth Services Center is required to have survey's completed by both parents and students. Please click on the survey links below and help the Youth Services Center get valuable data for this grant cycle. Thank you.
Deadline December 21,2015
Breakfast Food Collection Drive:
Several sophomores have banned together to organize a food drive for the Backpack Program. They have made BREAKFAST FOOD their mission and will be collecting pop tarts and cereal bars now through December 18th! Many kids right here in Shelby County are in need, especially during breaks when school is not in session. The first period class with the most items collected will win BREAKFAST on Friday December 18th!
Martha Layne Collins High School
Midterm Exam Guidelines
Annually, high school graduates return to share their successes and struggles in their lives after high school graduation. A common theme shared revolves around how little they know about how to study or prepare for exams.
With EOC (end of course) assessments, students must learn to prepare for ‘final’ exams. Even after formal education ends, students will face times where preparation is required for an event where they must demonstrate proficiency. To this end, MLCHS teachers will give comprehensive midterm exams. The intent of a comprehensive midterm exam lies twofold:
- To see what learning the students have retained from the start of the school year to the present date.
- To teach students how to prepare for a comprehensive exam.
KEY POINTS TO MIDTERM WEEK:
- Midterms will be given over 3 days.
- Wednesday, December 16th – 0,2,4
- Thursday, December 17th – 1,6
- Friday, December 18th – 3,5,7
- We will NOT alter the schedule during midterm exams (regular bell schedule).
- In the event of an unavoidable absence, teachers will place the name of the absent student on test and submit the test to the Main Office by the end of day on Friday, December 18th. Completed exams will be returned to the teacher’s box.
- Teachers shall enter a ‘0’ in IC for those who are absent unexcused. The exam grade shall be entered and replace the 0 upon completion.
- Teachers shall enter a ‘1’ in IC for those who are absent excused. The exam grade shall be entered and replace the 1 upon completion.
- Students who miss a midterm shall attend one or more of the following make up sessions:
- Monday, December 21st - 9am–12pm (Presentation Room)
- Monday, January 4th – 3:25pm-4:25pm (Presentation Room)
- Grades MUST be posted by 8am on Thursday, January 7th
INSTRUCTIONAL PLANS BEFORE AND AFTER EXAM:
- Focus on completing current units and reviewing content aligned with Priority Standards covered prior to the Midterm Exam.
- Any video must be a systemic part of instructional activities and aligned with Learning Targets. If you believe the need exists to show a video/movie, please email an administrator for prior approval. This does not include clips downloaded from instructional sources.
Kindness Initiative Next Week:
Please feel free to jump on board and support our Kindness Initiative next week so that we finish the year strong.
Monday: Polar Express Pajama Day-Wear your PJ’s to school. Hot chocolate will be shared with all who leave to building that afternoon with the hope that those who receive will “pay it forward”.
Tuesday: Top Hat Tuesday- Wear a Santa Hat or any hat at all for that matter!
Wednesday: BE an ANGEL day- look for that opportunity to help another student, staff member, or friend
Thursday: Elf Yourself- Post your elf outfit on Twitter! #5daysofkindnessselfie @RChallengeMLCHS
Friday: Don’t be Ugly, Wear an Ugly Sweater!!!
Listen each day on the announcements for a motivating quote from a hero of kindness!
Be motivated, be loved, feel the peace, enjoy the cheer!
2016 Reel Action Video Contest:
2016 Reel Action Video Contest
Deadline January 22, 2016 at midnight
I wanted to let everyone know that our Reel Action Video Contest is starting. This contest is for youth age 12-17 (18 as long as a senior in high school) where the youth make a 28 second PSA to combat underage drinking. You can access more information by going to the website www.reelactionky.com . Please distribute this to your contacts and encourage your youth groups to participate. These videos can be made by a single person or several students. There are great prizes to be won including certain videos will be selected to be played on MTV, BET, ESPN and other television stations. If you have any questions let me know. Many health, technology, and government teachers across the region have been using this as a grade for their students to show their creativity and get involved in doing something good for their community and school. Make sure students submit the video and answer the survey.
Don't forget about the Policy and Advocacy category (let lawmakers and school officials know about strengthening underage drinking laws) last year we had no entries for this category in which someone could have won.
Contact Craig Phillips for more information: (502)439-9325 or email@example.com
5-Week BOOTCAMP – Prepares for March Test on 3/1/16
@ Martha Layne Collins
Nine Total Sessions:
31 hours of Direct Training
TorchPrep Customized Study Plan
Tuesdays: 1/26/2016, 2/2/2016, 2/9/2016, 2/16/2016, 2/23/2016 6PM - 9PM
Saturdays: 1/30/2016, OFF, 2/13/2016, 2/20/2016, 2/27/2016 10AM - 2PM
Early Registration Deadline: 1/19/2016
Don’t forget to purchase a 2015-2016 Collins Yearbook before Christmas to receive an early-bird discount! They are currently $55 and the price increases to $60 after the first of the year. Orders can be purchased online at jostens.com or you can pick up an order form from the school office.
Senior Yearbook Ads- If you are wanting to purchase a Senior Yearbook ad, the due date is February 1st. Space is limited so these ads are on a first come-first served basis. Order forms are available in the school office or you can send all information in a sealed envelope to school office attention Yearbook.
1/4 page ads are $30
80 word limit for personal message
2 pictures (prefer pictures submitted on a flash drive/cd)
1/2 page ads are $60.
100 word limit for personal message
up to 4 pictures (prefer pictures submitted on a flash drive/cd)
Junior CERT ACT: January 6th
Junior CERT ACT: January 6th
Mark your calendars! Juniors will be taking one final practice ACT on Wednesday, January 6th. It is so important that our students put forth their best effort on this assessment! This practice ACT is given to help juniors prepare for the real ACT they will all take on March 1st. Chrome Books MUST be charged!
Budgeting Workshop For All Families In Shelby County:
January 25th from 5:30pm - 8:00pm here at Collins High School.
Workshop will include: Goal Setting and Income Management. Need help making a budget? We've got you covered! Learn how to set obtainable goals and ACHIEVE them!!
Tired of charging everything???? Tired of not having enough money to go do something fun??? Tired of your student always asking for things that you can't purchase????
Then you need to come to this workshop. Open to any family in Shelby County.
Door Prizes will be given away from Multi Purpose and Commonwealth Credit Union!
Dinner will be provided so please RSVP to Leesa Stivers at 647-1171 or Leesa.stivers@Shelby.kyschools.us