BWMS Parent Update
Testing Begins Wednesday
I hope that your spring break was fantastic and a time to rest and relax as we prepare for the final push of 2020-21. Next week starts OSTs. Testing time can be stressful for students. No doubt, we understand that our students do deal with pressure when it comes to all types of performances from their everyday life: athletic or academic. No matter the situation, everyone can play a role in helping our students be confident and secure in the face of the upcoming weeks. We will continue to offer this calm voice of confidence for our students as they prepare for next week. You too can help by ensuring your student gets a good night's sleep, eats a good breakfast, charges their Chromebook and comes to BWMS with a smile. I am sure our kids will do great! The testing schedule is below as OSTs will be in the morning followed by a modified 2 hour delay schedule for all classes. VLP families should click here to read the update about remote students are testing procedures.
- April 14 OST ELA Part 1 & April 15 OST ELA Part 2
- April 20 OST Math Part 1 & April 21 OST Math Part 2
- April 22 OST Science Part 1&2 (8th grade only)
For more information if your student is stressed, check out this article from Parent Magazine - Test Stress which outlines a few ways to reduce that test stress over the next few weeks. In addition, please stress the importance of coming prepared for testing each day with your student - Chromebook Charged, Charger Cord in Backpack, Water bottle filled and a book to read after testing.
Also, Purple Up Spirit Week is April 12-16. Lets show our support for our Military-Connected Families by participating in the Daily Events listed below.
Have a great weekend and Go Eagles!
Mr. Josh Frame
Purple Up Big Walnut - Next Week
- April is Military Child appreciation month. See below for details on how you can support our Military-Connected Families. In addition, help us Purple Up Big Walnut on Thursday April 15th as well as support the other District-wide Spirit Days next week.
- Ohio State Tests will begin on Wednesday 4/14/21. OSTs will be in the morning followed by the remainder of the day using the 2 hour delay schedule. VLP students will also need to come to the school for testing this year and enter using Cheshire Road and the bus entrance each morning. Additional details below.
- Friday 4/16/21 is Grade Update Day.
Ohio State Testing Schedule
4/14/21 - ELA Part 1
4/15/21 - ELA Part 2
4/20/21 - Math Part 1
4/21/21 - Math Part 2
4/22/21 - Science (8th grade only)
4/23/21 - SOAR in Testing Reward Activity
VLP OST Update
7th Grade: On April 14th, 15th, 20th, and 21st your student will be taking the Ohio State Test (OST).
8th Grade: On April 14th, 15th and 20th, 21st and 22nd your student will be taking the Ohio State Test (OST).
April is the Month of the Military Child.
Our community is dedicated to supporting local heroes and this includes our local businesses, schools and residents.
The Purple Star Award for military-friendly schools recognizes schools that show a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation’s military. In an effort to better support students of military members in our community, Big Walnut Local Schools works to identify and inform teachers of the military-connected students in their classrooms and the special considerations and resources they should receive.
This year Big Walnut Apparel has teamed up with Big Walnut Local Schools to show support of our military families. This fundraiser helps support that initiative. You can purchase a shirt or yard sign to show your support. There are also sponsorship options for the t-shirt and flat donation options available.
Thank you for your support! Wear your shirt on April 15th!!!
School Counseling Update
- Know! To Positively Connect with Your Teen
Parent and Guardians, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) has free local programming on a variety of topics to support mental wellness. There are several options to choose from, one of which is Peer-to-Peer.
The following link takes you to a registration page. You will scroll down and look for Peer-to-Peer Spring 1 and click the registration icon. This website is a great resource to bookmark when you have questions about mental health.
BWMS SOARing Staff Award
Update from Delaware General Health Department
In an effort to help speed up the notification process to the DGHD, they are asking families to use the self-reporting link below. This information is shared directly with the health department and eliminates the snail mail that is currently being used.
We would ask that families that if they have a positive case in their home to use this link as well as notifying the district nurse at email@example.com.
Stay Connected with BWMS w/ Schoology
- BWMS will send out Announcements Periodically throughout the week to keep others informed using the new school communication and learning management system - Schoology - https://schoology.bwls.net/home.
- BWMS Families code: 8VWG-XH43-BRB6Z
- BWMS Athletics: 2KDR-2KDW-322JB
- BW-VLP Schoology Family Group: 86C8-CC76-PTNC4
Reminder that all athletes should have their final forms complete and hard copy of the physical submitted prior to participation.
All information for BWMS athletics can be found at bigwalnutathletics.net