Together in Learning and Faith
November 23rd - Our Lady of the Angels Catholic School
Unwinding our Minds
November's theme to help our whole health is: Unwinding our Minds. This week we learned that we can be mindful anywhere, anytime.
Bags of Hope - A Gift of Service
Way to go Ashlynn - an amazing gift of compassion and service! You are the hands and feet of Christ.
Celebrating our Faith Leaders
Has your child chosen to be the Hands and Feet of Christ in our community by donating their time or fundraising for a special charity? Have they spread hope, joy, love, acceptance, mercy, or grace to others less fortunate? Just like our Ashlynn, if your child has chosen to be the Hands and Feet of Christ, please let us know, and share a picture of them with us. We would love to celebrate them at our Faith in Action assemblies as well as share with our OLA community the sprinkles of love being shared!
Fee Waiver Program 2018-2019
Letters outlining your child's school fees for field trips and special presentations will be going home this week and the fees will be available to pay online using your Powerschool Parent Portal. If you need help logging in please call the school office and we will be happy to assist you.
Under the principle that finances should not be a barrier to a child's education, Elk Island Catholic Schools will waive fees for parents/guardians if they meet certain income guidelines, are on social services or are facing exceptional circumstances. If you qualify, you may apply for a waiver for the following fees:
- Ineligible Transportation Fees
- Enhanced programming fees such as field trip, special class events and options
- Instructional Activity Fees
The deadline to apply for the 2018 - 2019 school year is December 14, 2018 and are submitted to the Secretary-Treasurer of Elk Island Catholic Schools. Please following the instructions on the fee waiver application form located at the link below.
Dearest Kindergarten to Grade 4 OLA families,
Super exciting news to share! Did you know Alberta Milk has a great incentive program and twice a year every child will receive a special free gift!
On these two special days in the year, an OLA family who wishes to remain anonymous, would also love to give the gift of free milk to every K-4 OLA student! How incredibly generous!
This first of two special days will occur on a Monday in December as we celebrate Advent and prepare for the gift of Jesus’ birth!
A milk alternative is available for children who are lactose intolerant and we ask you to email us giving us your child’s name and class as well as what kind of non-milk alternative is requested. Additionally, if you would not like your child to receive milk please email us as well.
OLA Club Moo representative
Enhancements @ OLA
Here are a few projects we are working on, and we would love your help and support:
- All of the older Smarboards at OLA are nearing the end of their lives and we will need to replace them before the year is out as they are integral tools for learning. We are looking to replace approximately 7 of them, which carries with it a significant cost. OLA will be engaging in some cost-sharing adventures and we are asking parents/businesses if there are any grants/donations that you may be aware of that can be contributed to our Technology upgrades.
- In January we will be kicking off OLA's options, and we are inviting parents to offer workshops for children. These would be offered on the first Wednesday of each month, in the afternoon. There would be a grade 1&2 session and simultaneously a 3&4 session. If you are interested in offering a workshop, please connect with Mrs. Weller, Mme Gravelle, Mrs. Earle or Ms. Cyca for more information.
- OLA is adopting one of St. John XXIII's foster children and supporting Catholic Social Services Valeda House again. We will be raising funds through a VIP Seating, Parking and Pampering draw for the Advent Celebration. Stay tuned for more details!
- We received some beautiful chapel pieces from St. Patrick's parish in Edmonton and we are looking to have made/donated seating for the chapel. If you enjoy working with wood and would like to donate time/materials for bench building, please connect with Mrs. Weller or Mme Gravelle.
This Week Around OLA . . .
Monday Faith Assembly
Celebrating 50 Days of School!
Grade 2 Learns about Magnets
Grade 4 & Kinder Buddies
Grade 1 Clay for Kids
Grade 4 Hands on Science
School Council Parent Corner
Boston Pizza Fundraiser
OLA School Council has partnered with BP's Operation Education to help raise funds to support the many programs offered by our OLA SC. The OLA SC will receive 5% back on all Boston Pizza receipts collected from September 1st - December 31, 2018. Please ask your friends and family to save their receipts, too - they can be dropped off at the school office anytime.
Fort Schools Playgrounds - We need your help!
So, what do we need?
- Quorum - enough members of our 4 school communities to vote on decisions
- An executive (Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer) to formalize decisions about the funds
- Help at one large silent auction fundraising event (the one and only fundraising event for the playgrounds).
- Community partner organizations to volunteer time and equipment when the time comes to install the playgrounds.
Please join us at the meeting on the 26th to find out more and help us make decisions!
OLA Parish News
OLA Church Nativity Pageant
The children’s liturgy program would like to invite everyone to OLA Church’s annual Christmas Nativity pageant on December 16, 2018 after the 11:00 am Mass. Please join in the celebration of our Lord’s birth! All are welcome!
We are looking for children ages 3 to grade 4 to be in the pageant. Children do not have to be attending children’s liturgy to be a part of the pageant, although they must be able to attend the rehearsal on Friday, December 14 at 5:00 pm. We are also looking for any older children to read the story of Jesus’ birth during the pageant. Please note, parents are required to stay with their children to help them dress into their costume and undress after. Parents with children 4 and under are asked to accompany their child at all times throughout the pageant.
If your child would like to participate in the pageant, please sign them up no later than Friday, December 2, 2018, by contacting Laudith Wedefor by phone 780-992-0254 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pageant Sign Up Deadline – Sunday, December 2, 2018
Pageant Rehearsal - Friday, December 14 at 5:00 pm
Pageant - Sunday, December 16 at the 11:00 am Mass
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Looking Ahead . . .
Monday, November 26
- Faith Assembly at 9:00 am - please join us!
- Fort Schools Playground Meeting 7:00 pm at OLA School
Tuesday, November 27
- Parish priest visit to the school
Thursday, November 29
- Grade 3 Soapstone Carving
- Grade 4 Peacekeeping Circles
Friday, November 30
- Holodomor Memorial Day
- Altar Serving Training Session 6:30 pm at OLA Church
And a Little Further Ahead . . .
December 2 Deadline to sign up for the Nativity Pageant at OLA Church
December 3 Advent Mass 10:00 am at OLA Church - everyone welcome!
December 5 Subway Hot Lunch
December 5 Early Dismissal at 2:19 pm
December 6 Poinsettia/Holiday Planter pick-up 2:30 - 6:00 pm
December 7 Poinsettia/Holiday Planter pick-up 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
December 7 Grade 4 Skating 12:30 pm at the JRC
December 12 Ordering opens for January - March Hot Lunch
December 12 Advent Celebration 1:30 pm (change in date for matinee performance)
December 13 Grade 3 Lego Bridges
December 13 Advent Celebration 6:30 pm evening performance
December 14 Grade 2 Science T-Pet Magnetism
December 14 Nativity Pageant Rehearsal 5:00 pm at OLA Church
December 16 Nativity Pageant 11:00 am Mass at OLA Church
December 18 Choir and Handbells perform at Dr. Turner Lodge
December 19 Panago Hot Lunch
December 21 Deadline for hot lunch orders for January - March
December 21 Last day of school for 2018
For more upcoming dates, please visit our website calendar.