Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
fencing world cup
Gillian Harrill (pictured left) traveled to Konin, Poland last weekend to compete in a Fencing World Cup. She finished 6th! This is a tournament with the best of the best from around the world. Way to go, Gillian!
Congratulations to freshman Hope Morales of the CHS girls golf team. Hope was recognized as the individual medalist (lowest scorer) in matches against both Mt. Pointe and Casteel High Schools last week. Congratulations, Hope!
Last Week's Wins
- Freshman Football def Horizon 61-0
- JV Football def Horizon 44-14
- Varsity Football def Horizon 62-22
- Badminton def Gilbert 9-0
- Freshman Girls Volleyball def Mesa 2-0
- Freshman Girls Volleyball def Pinnacle 2-0
this week's home events
- Monday, 9/21: Girls Volleyball vs McClintock- Freshman @ 4 pm, JV @ 5 pm, Varsity @ 6 pm; Girls Tennis vs Marcos De Niza @ 3: 30 pm
- Tuesday, 9/22: Girls Volleyball vs Westview- Freshman @ 4 pm, JV @ 5 pm, Varsity @ 6 pm; Boys Tennis vs Perry @ 3: 30 pm
- Wednesday, 9/23: Freshman Boys Tennis vs Notre Dame Prep @ 3:30 pm
- Thursday, 9/24: Girls Tennis vs Hamilton @ 3:30 pm; Boys Golf vs Tempe/Skyline/Maricopa @ 3:30 pm at Oakwood; Swim vs Corona @ 4 pm; Badminton vs Red Mountain @ 3:30 pm; JV Football vs Mountain View Mesa @ 6 pm
Visit the CHS Calendar to view events being held during Intersession.
I NEVER SAW ANOTHER BUTTERFLY
The CHS Chamber and Symphonic Orchestras performed beautifully in the CCA last week. Concert highlights included Symphonic Orchestra’s performance of Meyer’s Dia De Los Muertos, and Chamber Orchestra’s performance of Mozart’s Serenade in G Major.
The Close-Up Club and Social Studies Council celebrated Constitution Day during both lunches on Thursday, September 17th.
Mr. Walter Murray’s Social Studies students recently completed a Patriotism Quilt project. Students were instructed on making "half-square triangles" used in quilt making and then created a quilt block that told "An American Story." Students wrote essays which told their stories and explained the symbolism in their blocks. One student stated, "Having the opportunity to create is fun, and having the freedom to create what we want and not be restricted was great."
SPIRITLINE TOY DRIVE
CHS Spiritline is sponsoring a toy drive for Phoenix Children's Hospital during September for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Please support this great cause by dropping off new toys and/or blankets to the front office or students’ homerooms.
CUSD BOND FACTS: DID YOU KNOW?
Chandler Unified is one of only nine districts to earn the “A” grade in all four years of the state’s letter grade accountability program. In addition, all five high schools, ACP-Erie, Basha, Chandler, Hamilton and Perry earned an “A” grade. Chandler Unified has also been identified as the No. 1 school district in Arizona for the second year in a row based on data from 2015 Niche rankings.
For additional information, visit the district website.
Following the 2012 elections, Arizona ranked 45th in the nation for voter turnout. To combat this startling statistic, O’Connor House, the legacy project of Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, has launched a new voter engagement initiative, The Great Voter Challenge. Register to vote here.
“Roughly half of Arizona voters actually vote and that’s frightening. I hope that we can encourage every citizen to register and vote. It’s so important, and Arizona can do better on that score.” - Justice Sandra Day O’Connor
In order to vote in the November election, you must register by October 5, 2015. Ballots will be mailed on October 8, 2015. Election Day is November 3, 2015.
YEARBOOK DEADLINE/ UNDERCLASS (9-11 GRADE) YEARBOOK RETAKE PICTURE DAY/ PHOTO OPS
YEARBOOK DEADLINE: The Early Bird Yearbook Sale will be ending in less than two weeks. You can still buy the 2015-16 yearbook for $50.00. The price will increase after September 25th. Payment can be made in the Chandler High Bookstore or online at jostensyearbooks.com.
Leasure Portrait Studio will be on campus at the Chandler Center for the Arts on Tuesday, September 22nd to retake underclass (9-11 grade) student photos for those interested. If students were unable to have their photos taken on the Underclass Photo Day in August, or are new to Chandler High School since the middle of August, then it is important that they sit for the camera on September 22nd, the last opportunity for the 2015-16 yearbook.
Also, parents as you attend games, concerts, and activities at Chandler High, if you have some great photos that you would like to share with us for yearbook consideration, we have a Jostens yearbook APP called replay.com that you can download on your Smartphone and then you upload your photos using this Jostens replayit.com app. Yearbook staff will consider all photos on replay it and will select those that will fit best the creator’s page design.
career center news
COLLEGE PRESENTATIONS: Sign up in the Career Center
- Case Western Reserve University- Tuesday, 9/22 @ 9:00am
- University of Northern Colorado- Greely- Tuesday, 9/22 @ 10:30am
- U of A Honors College- Wednesday, 9/23 @ 8:30am
- University of Chicago- Thursday, 9/24 @ 10:30am
- Oklahoma State University- Friday, 9/25 @ 8:00am
- Colorado State University- Friday, 9/25 @ 9:45am
- University of Oregon- Friday, 9/25 @ 10:30am
- TCU- Friday, 9/25 @ 12:30pm
- Western State University- Friday, 9/25 @ 1:15pm
New presentations are added daily. Visit the Career Center webpage to access the Career Center Calendar and other valuable info.
COLLEGE FAIRS AND SCHOLARSHIP PRESENTATIONS: See the Career Center Calendar or Mrs. Thoren for additional info.
· CUSD College Fair- Monday, 9/21 from 5:45pm-8:00pm at the CCA
· National College Fair- Sunday, 9/27 @11:00am at the Phoenix Convention Center
CUSD will be on Intersession September 28th through October 9th. October 12th and 13th are Teacher Inservice/Workdays, and there is no school for students. Students will return to school on Wednesday, October 14th to begin Quarter 2.