Bi-Monthly Newsletter for NF Families
Thursday, September 15, 2022
"Everything is Possible"
Special Alert: NF will conduct a lockdown drill on Monday, September 19th.
Open House Scheduled
NF's annual Open House/Curriculum Night is scheduled for Thursday, September 22nd. Parents and caregivers are invited to join the teachers for an overview of class expectations, curricular standards, and an overall progress check on the start of the academic year. To ease parking issues and overall building congestion, the night is divided into two parts per the schedule below:
- K-1 from 5:30 p.m. until 6:15 p.m.
- 2-4 from 6:45 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.
When you arrive to NF, you will be directed to the appropriate area of the building for your assigned locations. This is a perfect opportunity to build a strong relationship with your child's teacher. The parents that typically attend have everyday questions answered, understand procedures more concretely, and serve as engaged partners in their child's academics. We would hope you would take advantage of this opportunity.
"Extras" Can Cause Extra Concern
One of the more exciting daily student joys is lunchtime. It can also be a part of the day that is most challenging for our staff because students have the 'option' of buying extra food during their (25) minute lunch. Extras often include funnel cakes, popsicles, and bags of chips such as Doritos. All parents should know that "extras" require that families place additional funds into their child's lunch account. Parents and caregivers should note that the adult supervisors in the cafeteria do not permit students to 'get extras' unless their food is completely consumed. This sometimes creates angry or sad children. Please help by explaining to your children that having "extras" is "above and beyond" what is part of lunch.
Visitor Policy Announced
For the last two and half years the Covid pandemic closed our building to all visitors. I am happy to announce that our doors will open for guests beginning on October 1st through May 1st. Parents will be permitted to have lunch with their child, (24 hour office notification required); assist in the classroom per teacher discretion; help with academic skills during our intervention periods; and, increase participation in PTA-sponsored events. If you plan on visiting your child for a lunch there are some expectations that will be shared with you upon arrival. All visitors will be required to produce a state-issued, picture ID. If a parent brings a lunch from a fast food location, the lunch can only be for your own child. Call the office with more questions and to make your reservation at 330-467-2010. Please do not show up unannounced.
Fun Run Scheduled
NF's PTA is busily preparing for the 4th annual Fun Run this September. For those families that are new, the Fun Run is the largest fundraiser of the year. In fact, we intentionally try to avoid selling additional products like cookie dough, magazines, and other items in lieu of this large- scale event. The amount of money raised for this event is always impressive. Last year, the PTA purchased (6) brand new picnic tables for our students. Four are located on the playground and two are located in the courtyard so that we might enjoy outdoor lunches. The overall vision is to build an outdoor learning pavilion when enough money is raised. More details regarding the Fun Run will be shared later this month. The Fun Run kick-off is on Wednesday, September 21st. The actual Fun Run event is on September 30th in the morning.
Take Advantage of Nordonia's Family Support Specialist in Times of Need
- Friday, September 16, In-Service Day, No School for Students
- Wednesday, September 21, Kick-Off for PTA Fun Run Fundraiser (Fun Run Collections through September 29th)
- Thursday, September 22, Open House/Curriculum Night, 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, September 26, BOE Meeting, Northfield, 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, September 30, Spirit Day and PTA Fun Run
- Friday, September 30, PAX Leaders of the Month Announced
- Friday, October 7, Morning Music Assemblies, All School
- Wednesday, October 12, PTA Virtual Meeting, 6:30 p.m.
- Friday, October 14, Faculty PD Day, No School for Students
- Student Chromebooks: Students in grades 3 and higher are NOT permitted to place stickers on their individual chromebooks, please. These computers are the property of the school district. Thanks for your cooperation.
- Attendance Line: The attendance line is available (24) hours a day. Please call your children off before 9:00 a.m. on a school day. The phone number is: 330-908-6160 for any Nordonia student.
- Family Connections Newsletter: Just a reminder that our Family Connections Newsletter is published/distributed on the 1st and 15th of each month through May, 2023.