November 2018 Edition
Your PTA board is thankful for the Hawley staff and all of their hard work, dedication to the students, their time and support with events, and just the wonderful way they make Hawley so welcoming for all who enter the doors!
We are thankful to the families who send such wonderful children into the building each day. Each one is unique, and we get such joy in each interaction we share with them. We are also thankful for their encouragement and support for what we do.
We are thankful for each other and all those helping hands that volunteer their time, expertise, money, and/or advice in anyway throughout the year, for without them, we would not be able to do what we do.
But most of all...
We are thankful for our Hawley students. Whether it be a smile, a hug, a high five, or their kind words of gratitude for what we do each time we visit the building or host an event, not only do they bring such joy to so many who know them, but they simply make all of the planning and work that goes into everything we do so worth it.
We wish each and everyone of you a great start to your holiday season however you celebrate!
With many thanks,
Your 2018/2019 PTA Executive Board
- November 19th - Last day to send in Box Tops
- November 21st - Early Release Day
- November 22nd-23rd - Thanksgiving Recess
- November 29th - General PTA Meeting (7:00-8:00PM ~ Hawley Library)
- December 3rd-7th - Holiday Bazaar
- December 14th - Kindness Day Breakfast Cart for staff
- January 7th - After School Activities start
Welcome to our New 1st Vice President
We are so happy to announce the appointment of Laura Ormiston to the open 1st Vice President position for the 2018/2019 school year.
In addition to serving as a Room Parent last school year, Laura is this year's Book Fair Committee chairperson, and a wonderful volunteer at many of Hawley's other events.
Evening General PTA Meeting/Principal's Coffee Talk - Thursday, November 29th
You asked and we listened...
Please Join us on Thursday, November 29, 2018 from 7:00 - 8:00PM in the Hawley Library for an evening General PTA Meeting and Safety/Security Presentation.
Coffee and light refreshments will be served. Childcare will be provided for school aged children in the gym but please feel free to bring younger kids with you to the meeting!
This meeting will be a combined effort between the PTA and school where we discuss the results from our recent Monster Mash Fundraiser and Principal Moretti will go over the safety procedures and drills students and staff go through each year. Other important topics will also be covered.
A more formal agenda will be sent out via email before the meeting.
We hope to see and hear from many of you this year!
Help needed at the Holiday Bazaar!
The dates are December 3rd - 7th! It takes so many hands to make this event happen successfully each year! Volunteers will help children make gift selections, package orders, and deliver orders to classrooms.
We are looking for volunteers for all the shifts listed in the above flier.
Please email Kristen Bonacci if you are able to help out at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope that you will join us and thank you in advance for your help!
Geography Program Reminder
To all 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade parents!
Our Geography program is an educational enrichment program the PTA provides to all students in 2nd-4th grade. Tests are given once per month.
The next testing week is: December 10th - 14th
Geography practice tests and study guides can be found on the Hawley website—> PTA website —> Geography Program.
You may also access materials by clicking on this link: http://newtown.hawley.schooldesk.net/Parents/PTA/Geography-Program
NOTE: If your child does not successfully complete their current test, they will be asked to retake the same test the following month. This is meant to be fun and enriching to the students and DOES NOT affect their grade.
Kindness Day Breakfast Cart on December 14th is looking for donations!
Please click the link below to donate to this year's Kindness Day Breakfast Cart for staff. This is one of the most enjoyed staff items each year and they are always so appreciative of the homemade and purchased items our families bring.
Monetary donations will also be accepted. Please send those to school by 12/10/18 in an envelope marked "Kindness Breakfast Cart - Kristen Bonacci".
Volunteers needed for After-School Activity Program
Do you have knowledge or an interest in Legos, Chess, Gym Games, or Science??
The After-School Activities program needs your help! We need a few people to help with teaching a small group of students once a week for 5 weeks starting January 7th from 3:45-4:45pm (Monday-Thursday, NO Friday classes).
We will work with you to find a day of the week that fits with your schedule. You provide the ideas/lessons (or we can help you do that) and we will provide the materials!
Without your help, we may not be able to offer these popular activities this year, so we do hope you will consider helping if you are able.
Please email Kristen Bonacci ASAP if you are able to help out at: email@example.com
Thanks in advance for your support!!
The PTA would like to thank...
- Laura Ormiston, Nadine Topolski, and Erica Carlson for organizing our Fall Book Fair, as well as every volunteer who came out to help us and our students that week. The book fair brings so many smiles to kids faces, raises valuable funds for our school, and also puts new books into every class library at Hawley.
- Nancy Hintze for a wonderful staff conference meal. So many teachers left that evening with full hearts and happy bellies.
- Aaron Cox and the Hawley Father's Club for a super fun and successful Pumpkin Carving event. This is a family favorite event every year!
- Daisha Lahey and Kristen Bonacci for their tireless dedication and work organizing this year's Monster Mash. Also, a huge thank you to the staff, volunteers, local vendors, and everyone who helped organize, run, and support the event. That night was an evening to remember and one of the most successful fundraisers Hawley has had in recent years!!
- Lisa Carella-Ashla for a great start to the kids care club! The veterans were so thankful for the handmade cards you worked with the kids to make.
- Monika Wieleba, Erica Schweikert Venezia, and Bill Venezia for an INCREDIBLE movie night! So much fun was had by everyone who attended.
- Laura Ormiston, Natalie Decatur, and Kristen Bonacci for their help with this year's Veteran's Day Breakfast.
- The Hawley custodial staff for their help with all of this year's PTA events. We are so thankful for you guys!
- To anyone we may have missed this month... your contribution and continued support are so valued by everyone who attends or takes part in the activities the PTA brings to Hawley. Thank you!