By Allie Piper
- In Roman times, eggs and butter were often added to basic bread to give a consistency that we would recognize as cake-like, and honey was used as a sweetener. The distinction between Roman concepts of cake and bread was therefore very blurred.
- January 27th is National Chocolate Cake Day.
- March 29th is National Lemon Chiffon Cake Day.
- June 11th is National German Chocolate Cake Day.
- November 26th is National Cake Day.
- The proverb ‘you can’t have your cake and eat it’ first appeared in the early 16th century, however, the proverb ‘a piece of cake’ was not coined until the 20th century and is possibly related to the cakewalk competition.
- The word ‘cake’ comes from Middle English kake, and is probably a borrowing from Old Norse.
- The meaning of ‘cake’ has changed over time, and the first cake was: A comparatively small flattened sort of bread, round, oval, or otherwise regularly shaped, and usually baked hard on both sides by being turned during the process.
"Cake Fun Facts | Mobile Cuisine." Mobile Cuisine Food Truck Pop Up Street Food Coverage. N.p., 26 Nov. 2014. Web. 9 May 2016.
Skittles Rainbow Cake. Dir. Elise Strachan. Perf. Elise Strachan. Skittles Rainbow Cake. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 May 2016.