May 19, 2023
In This Issue...
- A Message from Marcie
- 3rd Grade Families - Sign Up for Band and Orchestra Instrument Fittings
- Sign Up Now For 2023-2024 Park District Before/After Care
- Other Important Info...
Don’t miss the PTO Spotlight:
- Cradles to Crayons Donation Drive
- Order DQ for lunch on 6/6
- Fundraiser at Culver's 5/22-5/25
- School Supplies on Sale through June 1st!
- And much more...
A Message from Marcie 👩🏻💻
Thanks for a great week, South Park!
As the end of the year draws near, we want to share our Go Penguins 10-Day Countdown that begins next Wednesday! Please see the information below and share it with your child, should they want to participate in any of the dress-up/spirit days.
- W 5/24 - Glitter and Glo Day (Wear neon or glittery clothes)
- Th 5/25 - Outside Day (Classes will all get an extended recess time)
- F 5/26 - Pajama Day (Wear your PJs or cozy clothes)
- T 5/30 - Experiment Day (Ideas linked here)
- W 5/31 - New Name Day (Students will be provided a nametag to change their name for the day)
- Th 6/1 - Game Day (Students will participate in various games in their classrooms)
- F 6/2 - Unite for Field Day (Grade level colors to be assigned soon)
- M 6/5 - It's a Great Day to Be Penguin (SP Spiritwear or wear blue & yellow)
- T 6/6 - Neighborly Day (Random acts of kindness for a neighboring classroom)
- W 6/7 - Swing into Summer (Dress for summer)
Our word of the week was "boisterous," where we talked about times when it may not be safe to be too rough or noisy. In the past few weeks, we have noticed some boisterous behavior at recess, so this word was used to ignite a conversation about following our schoolwide expectations to ensure a positive and safe experience while playing outside during recess time.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Band & Orchestra Instrument Fittings for 3rd Graders!
We are thrilled to announce that band and orchestra instrument fitting sign-ups are now open for our 3rd-grade students. We strongly encourage ALL 3rd-graders to participate.
There are so many reasons why we hope all students participate in an instrumental music program. Through their participation, students will develop important social skills, build friendships, gain confidence, develop self-discipline, and appreciate the wonder and beauty of music. As a music enthusiast, I truly encourage all 3rd-grade parents to register their child for either the band or orchestra program and give them the gift of music.
To learn more about our instrumental music program, click here.
Donations Requested on Friday, 6/2 for Helping Hands Day!
From the District
Sign Up Now For 2023-2024 Park District Before/After Care
Other Important Information ⚠️
- All visitors to South Park School MUST bring a valid driver's license or state ID card to the main office before entering into the building. Beginning this year, we will collect IDs during your visit and return it to you as you leave.
- If your child is going to be absent from school, you need to call or email us by 9:00 that morning. ** Call 847-945-5895, ext. 2103 and leave a message OR ** Email Nurse Nora Moskos.
- When parking in our Birchwood parking lot, please remember that our preschoolers are dropped off and picked up by the west end (closest to the school). Sometimes, their parents' cars can block a parked car from exiting for a few minutes. To avoid that, we suggest that you park closer to Birchwood Avenue.
- Please follow our morning procedures, and drop your children off at their regular grade level doors. If you choose to drive through the front circle at arrival, kindly stay in your car when you drop off to help us reduce morning congestion.
- Drop-off is between 8:35-8:45 a.m. Students who arrive after 8:45 a.m. will need to enter through the front door of the school, as all other doors will be locked.
- Dismissal for all Kindy and 1st-grade walkers and car riders will take place at their grade level door. Parents who park in the front circle should wait until 3:10 p.m. to do so.
- Dismissal is at 3:25 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. We dismiss at 2:25 on Wednesdays.
- Our practice is to let kids go outside if the temperature/wind chill is 10 degrees or warmer and it is not raining or snowing too hard.
Important Dates 📅
Wednesday, May 31st - 5th Grade Picnic
Friday, June 2nd - Field Day/Helping Hands Day
Tuesday, June 6th - 5th Grade Variety Show - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, June 7th - School's Out at 11:40 a.m.