Counseling Center NewsLetter
Erin Barnett (D-HEN) ext. 4021
April Marquez (Her-McC) ext. 4019
Greg Swaggart (McD-Sch) ext. 4020
Kerry Stites (Sco-Z) ext. 4018
Carrie Rodebush, Secretary ext. 4103
Melissa Madden, College/Scholarship Coord., ext 4003
Counseling Fax (816) 986-4116
- April 30: Junior Parent Night 6pm
- May 1: MCC-Longview Mobile Enrollment
- May 3-4: Suicide Prevention Presentations; Health Classes
- May 4: Senior Signing Day; Lunch
- May 5: Friday Night Live; 7pm
- May 9-11: Senior Finals
- May 11: Seniors Last Day
- May 11: Senior check-out/Cap & Gown; 11:15am
- May 11: Senior Farwell; 7pm
- May 15: Graduation; 7pm
- May 25: Last Day of School
Full Calendar Available on the LSW Counseling Website: http://lswhs.lsr7.org/counseling/
All Senior Info: Finals Schedule, Graduation, Project Grad, Graduation Photos.....
JUNIOR PARENT NIGHT
Monday, April 30th, 6-8pm
2600 Southwest Ward Road
Lee's Summit, MO
Join the Counseling Department and guests as they present on topics to help you and your student prepare for college admission and beyond. Topics to include: College Admission, Common Application, Financial Aid and Scholarships, personal statement/essay writing, A+, College Career Resources, Family Connections, Freshmen Blues...
This event is designed for parents/guardians of current juniors. The evening will begin in he PAC at 6:00 and then breakout into 3 sessions.
Senior Signing Day- May 4th
ATTN: SENIORS-MCC Mobile Enrollment MAY 1
Current seniors planning to attend MCC-Longview next fall, can travel with Mrs. Marquez to campus to meet with an advisor and enroll in classes for Fall "18. Students must have completed an MCC-Longview application and submitted required Accuplacer or ACT test results.
Help for End of the Year Anxiety and Stress
Junior College Readiness Timeline for the Summer!
Family Connections Spotlight
Upgrades Coming! Starting August 1, there will be a new look and name for Family Connections. The name change will be Naviance Student. Moore information to come!
At LSW: Math Tutoring (Room 1232) 6:30-7:25 am T & TR and 2:30-3:30 pm T & TR. English Tutoring (Room 2119) 2:30-3:30 pm M, T, W, Tr.
Khan Academy: Free, online tutoring for all levels math, science, and history.
Tutoring Available at Mid-Continent Public Library
Tutor.com: For those who may benefit from additional online tutoring, the Library offers free, real-time tutoring services in more than 25 academic subjects, including math, science, social studies, English, and foreign languages, through Tutor.com. In addition to live help, Tutor.com also provides complimentary standardized test preparation services. Watch this brief video to learn more.
Tutors for Hire (list provided by LSR7): Udated List; includes summer tutors.
ACT Dates and Prep Courses
- ACT Test Dates and Registration: actstudent.org
- NEW! ACT will offer a 7th test date starting July 2018.
- Family Connections- Students can log onto their Family Connections Account and access a wealth of free ACT Practice/Prep called "Naviance Test Prep".
- Students can take a course called "ACT Prep" as one of their elective classes at LSW. This class is a semester long class and offers content, test strategy, and test practice.
- After school ACT Prep Classes Offered in November, January, and March. The cost is $40. Flyers available in the Counseling Center. Register with Ms. Madden ext. 4003
LSR7 School Community Liaison/Social Work Services
LSWHS School Community Liaison: Christine Mize, LMSW ext.1420
The School Community Liaison's role is to link students and families with resources and provide support. If you would like to receive more information about how our School Community Liaison may be able to help you or your family, please feel free to complete our School Social Work Services Form or print off a downloadable form and turn it into your student’s counselor. Once it is received, our School Community Liaison will contact you.
Sending Transcripts: Students must have a completed transcript release form on file with Ms. Madden before a transcript can be sent to a college, college coach, or otherwise. Hard copies of the release form are available in the Counseling Center or they can be accessed at- transcript release.
Seniors - How to request a transcript for a college application. Students needing a transcript sent for college applications need to do so using Family Connections. Click on the link for instructions. Family Connections Quick Guide to Requesting Transcripts.