the PENN NEWSLETTER
Penn Pride: We have. We are. Together.
Happy "weirdest ever" LAST DAY of SCHOOL
We've focused all year on being together: coming together as a new community, dancing together, learning together, celebrating together, eating pancakes together, learning remotely together, zooming together .... and so much more. What we don't get to do is actually end together. We are all sad about that.
The 6th grade teachers put together our traditional slide show to wrap up 6th grade at Penn. We are not sharing it publicly, but they sent that link out to families of 6th graders today. Please let me know if you didn't get it. And remember, once a panther: always part of the pride.
The staff continued our together theme with a creative little goodbye. Check-out this video of Penn Staff's send off version of "We're All in This Together"
Thanks to Ms. Cooley for her kind and thorough editing.
Today, as a staff, we spent some time reflecting on this year. The strongest celebration point was about how we truly did come together as a strong community. And, that being apart has evened strengthened that sense of community. It has been fun to see each other in our home environment with our families and pets. THANK YOU parents for all your support -- all year, but especially here at the end of this year.
Looking ahead to fall -- well, we really don't know what it will look like. I am confident though that we'll figure it out and it will be good. In the meantime, I hope your family enjoys summer. I do encourage you to have your child(ren) continue reading and doing some math in the workbooks or on Lexia and Dreambox. And, of course, PLAY. A LOT.
I will check voicemail throughout the summer, but won't typically be in the building. Email me if you have questions -- I'll check that daily. ~ Mrs. Heffner
FLY UP -- remotely
The link this week is to a newsletter filled with ideas for summer reading for students K-12. There are links to the programs at the area public libraries, along with book suggestions from the ICCSD teacher librarian group, award winning book lists, and online reading resources for all grade levels. Happy reading this summer
from the PTO about school supply packs
Dear Penn Families,
The Penn Elementary PTO is excited to announce that we are partnering with Educational Products Inc. to offer School Supply Packs for Fall 2020. School supply packs are an easier and less-expensive option for you to purchase school supplies, and lets you avoid having to shop in person.
The packs include brand-name items: Crayola, Elmer's, and Fiskars, and include exactly what's on your child's school supply list. Even better, the packs will be ready and waiting in your child's classroom at Ice Cream Social (currently scheduled for August 20). Here is a brief introduction to the company and supplies: https://youtu.be/1KF8JE0sKg8.
We believe you'll find the pricing to be outstanding; these supply packs cost up to 40% less. In addition, it's a great way to support your PTO!
Kindergarten supply pack: $38.41 each (sales tax added at purchase)
Grades 1-6 supply pack: $39.82 each (sales tax added at purchase)
Ordering is now open. To place your order please visit www.educationalproducts.com/shoppacks and enter school ID# PEN032.
The deadline for ordering is June 14, 2020.
Questions? Contact the PTO supply pack coordinator, Pauline Wieland, at firstname.lastname@example.org or text 319-321-0271.
Penn Elementary PTO
2020-21 Pay-to-Ride Program
The Iowa City Community School District Transportation Department would like to notify you of the 2020-21 Pay-to-Ride Program.
- The program is provided on a space-available, time-available, first-come, first-served basis. Participation is limited according to capacity as determined by the District and is available to students in grades K-12.
- The program is only available on existing bus routes and at existing stops. No additional routes and or stops will be considered for pay-to-ride students after the deadline.
- Buses provided specifically for special education students are not eligible for this program.
- Bus stop locations and times are assigned by North America Central School Bus (NACSB).
- The availability of seats and location of bus stops is subject to change based on changes in enrollment, boundaries, and other factors determined by the District or NACSB, and can occur at any time. When changes to routes or stops occur, families utilizing pay-to-ride busing will be notified at the same time that the families of eligible students are notified.
- Students must be picked up and dropped off at their assigned location only. Pick-up and drop-off must be at the same location.
- Requests for a change in a student’s bus stop will only be honored if the student’s address has changed.
- No guest students will be allowed to ride along with pay-to-ride students.
- All students riding the bus are subject to the rules and regulations of conduct and safety established by the District and NACSB. The District and NACSB use video cameras on school buses as a means to maintain a safe environment for students and staff.
- Refunds will be granted for any unused full trimester purchased for the current school year.
- No refunds or rate adjustments will be made for days buses cannot operate because of weather or other circumstances beyond the control of NACSB or the District.
- Payments can be made online via the District’s website or by mailing a check. The fee is charged on a per year basis.
Payment and Fees for Service
- Pay-to-ride fee is:
- $495 per student, per year, round trip
- $297 per student, per year, round trip, for students who qualify for reduced-price lunch
- $0 per student, per year, round trip, for students who qualify for free lunch
- Full payments must be made no later than June 11, 2020, to be included on a bus roster for the start of the school year.
- Applications will be accepted after the due date while capacity remains on existing routes. (Note: Students will only be assigned to existing bus stops and routes; buses will not be re-routed to accommodate requests.)
- Students are not eligible to ride until payment is received and the application is approved.
- To apply for pay-to-ride busing, please download the following form:
Pay-to-Ride Student Transportation Application: https://www.iowacityschools.org/Page/18202
- Payment can be made online or checks should be made payable to Iowa City Community School District. Online payments can be made at https://iowa-city.revtrak.net/Pay-to-Ride/#/list
- Mail your application and payment, if paying by check, to the following address:
Iowa City Community School District
Attn: Esme Davis
1725 N Dodge Street
Iowa City, IA 52245
- The Iowa City Community School District will begin processing applications upon receipt, in the order they are received. Each application and payment will be kept on file until it is determined the student is eligible for a seat on the bus.
If you are interested in participating in the Pay-to-Ride Program, please return the application and payment no later than June 11, 2020, to be considered for a bus roster for the start of the school year.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me via email.
Iowa City Community School District
Hello Penn Panthers,
This was certainly not how we intended to end the school year. I hope you are all healthy and staying safe. The Penn PTO is starting to think about next year and planning for when we can all be back together. We would like announce the 2020-2021 PTO officers and thank everyone for such great support throughout the year. If you would like to share any ideas or questions please feel free to reach out to us through email (email@example.com) or facebook. If you haven't already joined us on facebook please search for Penn Elementary PTO. We will be sharing activities and upcoming opportunities. We have recently created an Instagram page for PTO which can be found at penn_pto. We can't wait for our first meeting when we can see everyone again. Thank you again for being such an incredible group of parents, teachers and staff.
2020-2021 Penn PTO Officers
essi Benest- President
Ashley Breinholt- Vice President
Diana Hoffman- Treasurer
Lori Doerschug- Secretary
Angela Bulman- Communications Director
Math Workbook HELP: BOUNCE Pages
Update on Grade 6 Additional Practice workbooks
The Pearson BouncePages app will work with these pages. It is the same app K-5 can use to support math practice at home. Use the same directions on the ICCSD Elementary Workbook page for downloading app or watch this demonstration video.
You can use the app to scan a worksheet and find an instructional video to support your child on workbook pages. There may be some inconsistency with the video selection based on how the worksheet is scanned. Here are some troubleshooting tips to use if the video does not provide direct support for the worksheet content.
Rescan using the flashlight icon to make it brighter
Rescan if the first video does not offer direct support with worksheet content; try to target/center a specific item so the image is not blurry
Access this website to search for additional videos. Search by using one key word from the title of the worksheet or expanding sections.
ICCSD INFO related to Covid-19/Corona Virus.
The most update information will be posted daily on the ICCSD web page.
This is the place to find out about free school lunches and enrichment opportunities.
Here is the link: https://www.iowacityschools.org/domain/4599
Here is the link to request technology devices and/or support for getting internet services: http://innovation.iowacityschools.org/2020/03/30/getting-tech-support-during-the-covid-19-closure/
Financial Resources to access due to COVID19 hardships:
United Way of Johnson County Disaster Assistance
Health Well Foundation