Dragon Roar: 5.17. 2020
Daring Greatly in Faith, Academics & Service since 1960
Staying strong! 2 weeks left! Go DRAGONS!! Empowered by the SPIRIT!
We are in the final stretch. You can do it!! Let's finish this year our best yet.
Today's Gospel: Sixth Sunday of Easter, John 14:15-21
Today’s Gospel is a continuation of last week’s. Jesus offers encouragement to his disciples, who will soon see him crucified. He reassures them that even though he will leave, he will not abandon them. Instead, he will send them the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, through whom the disciples will continue to live in union with Jesus.
Today's Gospel is especially important to us as SMCS Dragons--we have the Holy Spirit as a critical part of who we are---as seen in our crest flame. In today’s reading, Jesus contrasts his impending departure with the permanence of the gift of the Holy Spirit. Jesus leaves to return to the Father, but the Holy Spirit remains with all of us.
The Spirit, living and working within us, reveals the mystery of God’s love for us. Just as the first disciples were not left alone, we are not left alone; we remain in God’s embrace through the gift of the Holy Spirit. During these times, we too are alone in a new way as we fight to keep our communities safe---what are ways that the Holy Spirit can provide us strength alone and as digital community?
Ms. Salazar and the SMCS Team
8th Grade Cap and Gown Pick Up
Saturday, May 23rd, 9:30-11:30am
Save the Date: PK3 to 7th Grade Carline Supply Drop off and Summer Supply Pick Up
Saturday, May 30th, 9am-4pm
BRING BACK: Library books, textbooks, Chromebooks/iPads, sports uniforms, and anything else that you borrowed that belongs to SMCS.
GIFT FROM US: Summer packet and materials to support summer enrichment, Lifetouch Class pictures that were ordered
UPDATES THIS WEEK
- 8th Grade closes out grading on Friday, May 22 with grades. All make up/late work is due by 6PM on Wednesday, May 20.
- PreK to 7th grade closes out grading on Friday, May 29. ALL make up/late work is due by Monday, May 25 at 5PM for credit.
TBD and to you ASAP
- The Archdiocese is updating our school year calendar for now. For now, plan on Aug. 17 as our start date for 2020-2021.
- We do not know if Summer programming is occurring. We will update you as soon as we know. Our governor is scheduled for an address on May 18 and we should have more information with policies to keep us safe by the end of the week from our Archdiocese.
2020-2021 FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE, Have you done HFF yet? If no, please complete ASAP.
- Apply!! The sooner the better. First round awards have been released. Second round closes in June but it's better to apply NOW.
- Even if you do not receive Arch HFF Funds or enough to support your needs, SMCS will use your data from the form to support you as resources allow.
- For ALL families that RECEIVE HFF funds, we will reimburse the $35 application fee.
- Open for Kinder to HS, however, if you are going into PreK, still complete as we will use the form for your financial assistance. You will be rejected by HFF AND we will use your app information for internal support as resources allow.
MAY FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE:
- We are STILL here to help as resources allow! Thanks to the incredible generosity of our community AND potential PPP loan (application in processing---pray for us!), we can support on a family by family basis.
- Has your financial status changed? Do you need support? Please email email@example.com or call my remote learning financial assistance line at 210-650-2031 from 10AM to 5:30PM, Mon to Fri. We are here to help! If I miss you I will return calls in one business day.
Thank you for your patience. Please email if you are waiting on a callback, we want to make sure we do not miss you!!
TALENT SHOW MOVED from MAY 19 to May 26
Tuesday, May 26th, 6pm
All are invited to tune in on Tuesday, May 26 to watch! Bring your dinner and sit back to enjoy the show!!
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
2020-2021 Tuition Assistance from Hope for the Future
1) Complete OR relog on to your 2020-2021 FACTS Application at https://online.factsmgt.com/aid if you had already filled one out, you can just log back in!
- You will have to pay $35 fee to FACTS (the Arch/HFF/we do not get this).
- I will reimburse ALL families that get charged $35 to fill this out for COVID related assistance on your May tuition.
2) You will need:
- 2018 OR 2019 tax documents along with their most recent W-2
- You may take pictures of their tax docs with their phone and upload those pictures directly into their FACTS application.
- Give a complete financial picture, be sure to turn in any financial effects of COVID19--furlough, loss of hours, etc.
3) Should you need assistance editing their application you can contact the FACTS parent line at 1-866-412-4637.
4) The deadline for the 2020-2021 school year extended until June.
Please complete ASAP.
ARE YOU A PREK FAMILY NEEDING ASSISTANCE? Please email me directly, firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!
Events this Week
Please review EACH week as times are subject to change.
Wednesday Zoom Lunch: Guest Speaker and fun!
Wednesday, May 20th, 12pm
Friday School Wide Zoom and Children's Mass
Friday, May 22nd, 8:45-10am
Zoom, 362 -174- 5604
Weekly winner of family survey completion announced!
Join us if your schedule allows.
Children's Mass to Follow at 9AM.
No Online School: Memorial Day
Monday, May 25th, 6am-6pm
This is an online event.
8th Grade Graduation: Private Ceremony for Students and Immediate Family
Wednesday, May 27th, 12am
This is an online event.
End of the Year Classroom Graduations/Classroom Awards, PK3 to 7th Grade
Monday, June 1st, 12-2pm
Zoom, Hosted by Homeroom Teachers
Spirit Week Champs! Thank you for your participation!
End of Year Prayer Service and All School Crest/Mission Awards PK3 to 7th Grade
Tuesday, June 2nd, 12-1pm
Learn MORE about Today's Gospel
Counselor's Corner: Note from Mrs. Moncrief, Class Code: 72fdwe3
Join Mrs. Moncrief for guidance lessons and check ins!
We have three ways to connect:
1. Email: I will do my very best and reply by the next day. If there is an emergency, contact Ms.
Salazar and she can get hold of me.
2. Zoom: Every day from 2:00 – 5:00 pm, Meeting ID: 865-730-234
3. Padlets: digital bulletin board. I add new things every week. Just browse and click on the
tiles. Hopefully, some things will be helpful.
Padlet for Parents, Password: Parent
Padlet for Students, Password: Student
Looking forward to supporting you!