Tidbits and So FOURTH
Savannah Elementary 4th Grade Newsletter
Week of 10/2/17 through 10/6/17
This Week in Class
- Math: Students will add and subtract whole numbers using standard algorithm.
- Reading: Students will identify what makes a good summary.
- Writing: Students will generate ideas for realistic fiction plots and characters.
- Science: Students will describe different forms of energy.
- Social Studies: Students will know what life was like in East Texas for the American Indians long ago.
Fundraiser ending soon!
Awards Assembly - This Friday!
- Morning Arrival - Students may begin entering classrooms at 7:30am. They need to be in their seats, ready to begin the day by 7:40am. It is important that students arrive on time each day so that they have the time they need to unpack, prepare for the day, and complete their morning warm-ups. Students who do not complete their morning work may have to attend study hall.
- Please ensure that you are signing your student's take home folder EACH and EVERY day. This is our primary source of communication! Students will receive a written warning if their folder is unsigned.
- Reading - Students should read at least 30 minutes each night and log their minutes on the calendar located in their daily binder. Student must total 120 at home reading minutes by Friday morning.
- Math - Imagine Math - Each week students should complete and pass two lessons at home. See the feature in our newsletter for more information. Students may consider writing the names of the lessons they pass at home in a notebook or in their homework calendars to help them keep track.
- If students fail to complete their homework for the week they will receive a red tag and have to make up reading minutes and/or lessons during recess/study hall.
Imagine Math Has Started!
Imagine Math (formerly known as Think Through Math or TTM) homework will start this week! Please have your student log on this evening to start their homework.
- Students are required to pass 2 IM lessons per week in order to have completed homework.
- Homework will be checked for completion every Friday morning at 8:00am. This is when homework is due.
- Should a student fail to log on for the week, or passes 0 lessons, they will receive a red tag and will attend study hall that day to complete homework.
- If a student only passes 1 lesson, they will receive a warning and will attend study hall that day to complete homework.
- In order to access IM, please visit the district single sign-on portal at sso.dentonisd.org. This can also be accessed through the Savannah Elementary website here: http://www.dentonisd.org/savannahes >students>single sign-on.
If you are currently experiencing technical difficulties at home, do not have access to a computer, laptop, tablet, or phone, etc. please let your teacher know immediately so that arrangements can be made here at school. The earlier we are aware of an issue, the more likely we will be able to help your student.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns regarding IM!
~4th Grade Math Teachers
Word Talk Words
Several students have requested access to our words on Spelling City. If this is an activity your students enjoy doing at home to work on their words, here is the link!
Spelling Pattern - the "rabbit rule"
Word Part - prefix - mis-
Tips & Tricks!
Check out this video for our character trait of the month - Creativity!
Mark Your Calendar
Sept. 20 - Oct. 4: Fall Fundraiser
Oct. 4: Report Cards go home
Oct 6: 1st Six Weeks Awards Assembly - 9:05am
Oct. 12: Early Release Day
Oct. 13 and 16: No School, Professional Development Days