Math Department 3rd-5th Grade
Week 8 News/Updates "Rounding Out Quarter 1 and ANET 1"
It's hard to believe we are in the 8th week of school and in two weeks we will be out on FALL Break! This school year is truly flying. Let's make sure we are making every minute of every day count. As a department you guys showed up to our first Network PD prepared and ready to actively engage. Huge THANK YOU to everyone that either modeled or showed a video (Thomas Morgan, Allyson Chambers, Shayla Morgan, Allison Thompson, and Lozie Guy). Way to lead the pack! Unfortunately we ran out of time so everyone couldn't be in the spotlight THIS TIME.
You will find some very important updates, reminders, data points, and resources in this week's newsletter. As always if you have any questions, comments, or concerns about anything here reach out to Katrina or Krysten!
What's TRENDING across the district?
Observations for all 3-5 classrooms visited:
- Guided notes aligned to the Engage NY Curriculum and used in all classrooms
- Targeted teacher focus on vocabulary and academic language
- Consistency across schools with pacing implementation
Areas of Growth:
- Anchor Charts: Focus on keeping new/in use anchor charts (matching current lessons) at the front of the room, especially those that students can access for independent student work. "Retire" old anchor charts to a wall on the side or at the back of the room. This way students are always referencing the most up to date material.
- Workstations: Ensure workstations are rigorous and maximize student work time. There should be at least 1 interactive station. This could me a hands on group task or manipulative exploration activity. Refrain from multiple "worksheet" stations. Also, remember stations should reinforce skills previously taught (with the exception of manipulative exploration).
- Guided Math: Push students to do the thinking. Make sure your lesson is well planned and targeted toward the group in front of you. Be aware of your talking ratio. Teaching should be explicit, but most importantly students must be doing the thinking. See the spotlight video below.....
Pacing Reminder for Next Week: 10/5-10/9 (The last week of Q1)
Assessment ALERT: ANET 1 Next Week reach out to your school test coordinator for exact details around testing!
ANet Online Assessments Public Preview Links: These are for teacher reference!
2nd Grade Math
3rd Grade Math
4th Grade Math
5th Grade Math
How are you reinforcing vocabulary?
Math Department Resource Hub on Sharepoint
This is a working hub that will evolve and grow throughout the school year. You will find both resources from Katrina and the C & I Team here.
3rd-5th Grade Math Resources and Curriculum 2015-2016 School Year direct link: (copy the whole link and paste it if it doesn't open)
SPOTLIGHT: Deborah O'Neal Guided Math Clip- Academic Ownership
Reflection Question: How is Deborah reinforcing Academic Ownership from the set?
MATH IN ACTION AROUND THE DISTRICT
Mr. Morgan explaining a tool students have never seen before
Mr. Morgan setting students up to begin exploring various measurement tools
Mr. Morgan using a VISUAL model that matches the concept