The Cuda Nation
BBST Newsletter, Volume 8, issue No. 7
Our first meet of the 2016 was a success! The Cudas swam fast and took the lead quickly. We had several Cudas break team records, those are listed in this Cuda Nation!
Final Score, Deerfield Village vs. Bridgeland Barracudas
We have our first Home meet of the season this weekend against the Copperfield Dolphins. Make sure you come to as many practices as you can so we can "Dizzy the Dolphins" and take another win!
Practice and the Weather
Factors that are taken into consideration when deciding whether to have practice or cancel:
- Flooding: Our coaches do not live in the community, so if they can't get here, we can't have practice.
- Can't see the bottom of the pool: This is a safety thing and is the exact rule in place for public pools. If the coaches can't see the bottom of the pool, nobody gets in. If the rain is coming down hard enough to impair visibility in the pool, we are most likely not able to do dry land either.
- Thunder and Lightning: This is a hue reason for practice being canceled. Not only can swimmers not be in the pool, but we have to clear the deck (area around the pool) as well.
- Other safety concerns: If there are other safety concerns that will risk endangering the swimmers, parents, and/or coaches, we will cancel practice.
The decision to cancel practice is not something we take lightly. The board of directors works with the coaches beginning early in the day and a decision is made as soon as possible.
If we cancel practice, we will do so no later than 3 P.M. each day. Cancellations will be communicated via Remind texts and Facebook. Depending on the availability, an email may also be sent out.
NEW Team Records!
Due to NWAL rules, we are unable to include the full name of our swimmers here. However, if you login to our website, you can see their name there. Great job and congratulations, Cudas!
Girls' 10 & under 50 Free-B.F., 34.86
Boys' 10 & under 50 Free-L.C., 36.21
Girls' 11-14 100 Free-A.M., 1:00.91
Boys' 11-14 100 Free-T.M., 59.21
Girls' 11-12 50 Free-Z.C., 29.32
Boys' 11-12 50 Free-M.O., 27.84
Girls' 13-14 100 IM-A.M., 1:10.69
Boys' 13-14 100 IM-T.M., 1:07.31
Swimmers of the Week
Go to BridgelandBarracudas.com & LOGIN. Then, go to "Team" and "Swimmer of the Week".
We would love to share their names in our Cuda Nation, but NWAL requires us to only share swimmer names if they are in a password-protected area of the website. It is all about swimmer safety.
These swimmers of the week have really "Unleashed the Force"!
Themed Practice Thursdays (TPT)
If your swimmer comes to practice dressed for the theme, they get a prize!
Take a picture of your Cuda swimmer wearing their TPT outfit and post it on Facebook. Make sure to include #CudasTPT2016 so we can find it and feature it in the Cuda Nation!
ICE THE COMPETITION Pep Rally
Friday, May 20th, 6-7pm
Festival Park in Bridgeland
Don't forget your chairs and/or picnic blankets along with frisbees, kites or anything else you want to bring for your kids to play with. The pep rallies are a fantastic time to connect with other swim families and for kids to make more friends on the team.
For this pep rally, each swimmer will get one Kona Ice snow cone! If you have non-swimmers at the pep rally (Parents, siblings, friends, etc), you may purchase one for them, if you want.
Please take a moment to RSVP for this event using the form below, following these instructions:
- First Name of swimmer(s)
- Last Name of Swimme(s) followed by the number of swimmers you will have attending the Pep Rally so we know how many snow cones we need (example, Shepherd-2; this would indicate my swimmer's last name is Shepherd and there will be 2 Cuda swimmers at the Pep Rally from my family).
- Email address
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
W2 Meet, Bridgeland Barracudas (Home) vs. Copperfield Dolphins (Away)
Saturday, May 14th, 8:30am
16902 Bridgeland Landing, Cypress, TX 77433
Parking is always a challenge at our pool. The lot in front of the pool is reserved for coaches, board members, chair people, NWAL offiicials, and Butterfly sponsors.
When parking along the street, please keep in mind that emergency vehicles must be able to get between the cars in the event of an emergency. If you park somewhere that does not allow this, you may be ticketed or towed. We are not in control of this and neither is the HOA. The officers that normally patrol our neighborhood watch for this every meet.
Swimmers must arrive no later than 6:40 A.M. for this meet! Yellow cards will be collected at 7:15 A.M. and swimmers that haven't gotten theirs will be SCRATCHED from the meet. Please do not pick up a swimmer's card unless they are at the meet. If you pick up a card for a friend or neighbor, but they do not show up, that can affect our relays negatively.
Saturday Volunteer Information
If you signed up for a volunteer position for Saturday, check the timeline below to know when you need to arrive.
Remember, if you don't check-in by 7:00 A.M. (even 2nd session volunteers), you will be replaced and will not get your volunteer credits.
Concessions set up
Parking Lot Director
Saturday Morning Set up
11 & up Girl/Boy check-in volunteer
Volunteer Check-In table
Tent Parents (10 & under)-BOTH SESSIONS
Concession stand (snow cone and regular positions)
Time Verifier/Computer Assistant
Trash Can/Restroom Supply Monitor
All 2nd session positions: Tear down, timers, lane runners, scribes, etc.
All volunteers, regardless of shift, MUST check-in at the volunteer check-in table NO LATER than 7:00 A.M.
During your assignment, the Volunteer Coordinator will come and find you to confirm you are completing your assignment.
- If you do not check-in by 7:00 A.M., you will be replaced with someone else and will not receive your volunteer credits.
- If you DO check-in by 7 A.M. but do not show up for your shift or leave early, you will not receive your credits.
Questions? Contact Liz Gilbert, firstname.lastname@example.org
Candy from your Coaches!
The Cuda Coaches want to see the swimmers after they swim each time at the meet!
When your Cuda gets out of the water after swimming in each event, have them go see the coaches. After giving them constructive feedback, the coaches will give your Cuda some candy!
This is a great time for your swimmer to ask about a DQ (disqualification) or to find out what to do better.
It doesn't matter if your Cuda is a 6 & under or an 18 year old, the coaches want to give them a high five and candy for their awesome swimming! Don't miss out!
Important dates to add to your calendar
- 5/20 Pep Rally, Festival Park 6pm
- 5/21 Second Dual Meet, Home vs. Copperfield
- 5/27 Pep Rally, Festival Park 6pm
- 5/28 Third Dual Meet, Away vs. Cy-Mills
- 5/30 NO PRACTICE-Memorial Day
- 6/2 CFISD Last day of school-NO PRACTICE
- 6/3 Pep Rally, Festival Park 6pm
- 6/4 Fourth Dual Meet, Home vs. Spring Cypress
- 6/6 Afternoon Practice
- 6/7 First day of morning practice
CUDA GEAR by Fresh Prints of Houston
This season, we have chosen to partner with a local business to help us meet our Cuda Gear demands. Fresh Prints of Houston is going to be handling the sale of all our gear this year.
You may purchase gear anytime throughout the week, day or night. If you want your order by Friday at the Pep Rally, you must order by the Wednesday before, at noon.
Available products not yet shown on the site are:
- Cuda Mom BLING shirt ("The force is STRONG with this Cuda Mom" on a black flowy racer tank)
- Tube towel with the Cuda logo embroidered on it.
If you are interested in either of these items, please contact Rob with Fresh Prints to discuss how to get these, Rob@fphouston.com.
Practices are Monday thru Thursday
School Year Schedule
NO PRACTICE Memorial Day, May 30th or the last day of school for CFISD on June 2nd.
13 & up **
6 & Under & new 7 year olds *
7 & 8 year olds
9 & 10 year olds
11 & 12 year olds **
*All new-to-the-team 7 year olds must attend the 6 & under practice until the coach says it is time to move to the 7/8 practice.
**Swimmers 11 & Up will need tennis shoes everyday for dry land exercises (first 15 minutes of each practice). They may want to wear shorts and/or a shirt over their suit for this portion.
Mondays are afternoon practices are at the same time as "School Year" schedule times due to pool cleaning and maintenance.
Tuesdays through Thursdays
9 & 10 year olds
7 & 8 year olds
6 & Under & new 7 year olds
11 & up
8:45-9:45 A.M. (with 15 minute dry land)
Bridgeland Barracuda Swim Meet Dates
Invitational Meet dates will be given later in the season, as soon as they are available.
AWAY meet vs. Deerfield
HOME meet vs. Copperfield
AWAY meet vs. Cypress Mills
HOME meet vs. Spring Cypress
AWAY meet vs. Gleannloch Farms
End of Season Championship Meet at Cy-Ranch High School
There will be a Pep Rally the Friday before each meet from 6 P.M. to 7 P.M. at Festival Park!
All meet sign-ups will be online again this year. This includes swimmer RSVP's and parent volunteers.
They can come to your pool or you can go to theirs. If you are interested in swim lessons from our coaches, please contact them via email.
Please note: Our coaches are not currently allowed to give private swim lessons at the Bridgeland Pools. If this should change, we will inform you.
Rules & Reminders for Parents and Swimmers
- The pool, activity center and surrounding areas are no smoking (including vape) areas.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be openly consumed in and around the pool area, including Festival Park and the Activity Center.
- BBST has a zero tolerance policy for bullying. Any behavior determined by the Board of Directors to be bullying will result in the dismissal of that swimmer or family from the team without a refund. This includes swimmers, siblings, parents and other adults and children at practices, pep rallies, special events, or meets.
- Pets are not allowed in the pool area (except for Service Animals wearing the proper identification).
Bridgeland Barracuda 2016 Sponsors
Cuda Families, we encourage you to show your support of these businesses as a thank you for their contributions to our swim team.