The forgotten cities

Lake Lanier by:Caroline Ariano

The old race track

Under lake Lanier there used to be an old race track called Lanier national speedway.

"The lady of the lake"

In November of 1959, there was a horribly decomposed body of a lady. They could not identify her so in the newspaper they dubbed her as the lady of the lake" She remand unidentified for years until in 1990 she was identified as Suzie Roberts. Workers building a new bridge on the Dawsonville Highway found the bones of a women in a car with 1958 Georgia plates. That's when they finally identified her. Apparently Suzie and a companion drove to a local roadhouse, Three Gables, where they enjoyed a few drinks. They then filled Suzie's car up at a gas station and left without paying. Suzie's identification gave local police a name for the "Lady of the Lake," Delia Mae Parker.

Buford Dam

It was created by the completion of Buford dam on the Chattahoochee river in 1956, and is also fed by the waters of the Chestatee river. On March 1, 1950, a ceremonial groundbreaking drew thousands to the site of what is now Buford Dam.

Talk of a dam and reservoir had begun in earnest following the end of World War II. The dam was a power has and a major reservoir for the area.