Reuse your old cloths!
Donating clothes can help reach people in third world countries who may not be able to afford them otherwise. The donated clothes are often sold for pennies compared to what we paid originally. On average a person trows away 70 pounds of clothes per person annually. Almost 100% of household textiles and clothing can be recycled, regardless of quality of condition
- since 2009, only 16.2% of textiles were recovered and kept out of landfills
- about 61% of the clothes recovered for second-hand use are exported to foreign countries
- we are able to recycle 93% of the waste we process without producing any new hazardous waste or harmful by-products
- textile recyclers export 61% of their products, thus reducing the U.S. trade deficit
- World Wear Project and its affiliates recycled 4.3 million pounds of shoes and clothing in 2010
(Source Material: Council for Textile Recycling and SMART)