4-H Friday News Blast for 7-5-2019
Fair theme: "Country Fun for Everyone"
Read the 4-H Fair Book
You can purchase a copy of the fairbook at the Extension Office for $2.00, or access it on-line. Click here for the on-line version.
Triple B 4-H 70th Anniversary Apparel
Livestock and Contest Deadline for Showing at the County Fair - July 15th at 11:59 p.m.
ALL animal entries and all county fair contests need to be pre-registered for the county fair. This is done on-line at https://cass.fairwire.com/
Animal entries includes Horses, Cats, Poultry, Rabbits, Small Animals, Dogs, and all livestock.
Contest entries include: Tractor Driving, Performing Arts, Table Setting, and Shooting Sports.
How do you do this? The link for detailed instructions is on our website at: https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/cass/showorks-entry-instructions-for-livestock-entries/
Please give us a call if you are having any issues entering your registration. Also, please do not wait until the last minute to register. The deadline for these entries is Monday, July 15th at 11:59 p.m. This is a FIRM deadline.
Superintendent's Stalling Meeting
$25.00 Special Award for Bess Streeter Aldrich exhibit + Certificate and Book
To educate Cass County youth about Bess Streeter Aldrich and to draw attention to the fact that she resided in Cass County, the Aldrich Foundation will present a special award to the 4-Her who creates the best Heritage Project for the Cass County Fair. Fair judges will decide who will receive the recognition: a certificate, a copy of Mrs. Aldrich's book A Lantern in Her Hand, and $25 in prize money.
Sewing construction Project and Fashion Show
4-Hers who are enrolled in sewing projects, here are a few helpful tips for you:
- Clothing Judging and Style Show Judging both happen on the same day! Note: sewing projects are NOT entered on entry day at the fair. All sewing projects are entered and judged on August 1st! This happens in the EXPO building, beginning at 8:30 am.
- Style Review paperwork is done on paper (not on-line like livestock and contests). That’s because Style Review paperwork include cloth swatches or samples.
- The due-date for Style Review pre-entry is July 15th.
- Check the fair-book to see what entries can be made in your project area.
- If you have questions, let us know.
Cattle Showmanship Workshop at Cass County
County Fair Livestock Bedding Fees
The Cass County Ag Society/Fairboard will be collecting money for livestock bedding for beef and dairy animals. Livestock entries for the county fair are due July 15th. Payment for ordering wood chips and or shavings is also due July 15th. This cannot be done on-line - it needs to be paid in person at the Extension Office. The cost is $10.00 per head. Note: many clubs have their club leaders bring this form in to the office, so check with your leader to find out what he/she wants to do this year. Click here for a fillable Stalling and Bedding Form. Bring the form to the office with a check made out to: Cass County Ag Society.
Information about the Omaha Ronald McDonald House: Your aluminum can tabs go a long way with Ronald McDonald House Charities in Omaha. Those tabs, when recycled, help cover some of their operational costs. Thanks to schools, business, community organizations (like 4-H), and families like yours, we recycled approximately 35 million pop tabs last year, and the money from those donations paid for our electric bill each month.
Did you know:
- One pound of tabs is about 1,500 tabs.
- Each tab measures about 1 inch, so there are 12 tabs in one foot.
- To reach a mile, when placing tabs end to end, would take 63,360 tabs.
- 1 million tabs end to end would stretch 16.75 miles.
Table Setting Contest is So Much Fun!
Shooting Sports Contest for Archery, Rifle, and Shotgun- July 27th, 7:30 a.m. at Platte River State Park.
The 2019 4-H Shooting Sports Contest will be held Saturday, July 27th, beginning at 7:30 a.m. at Platte River State Park. This is for Rifle, Shotgun, and Archery competition.
4-Hers must pre-enter for these contests by July 15th. Go on-line and enter at: https://cass.fairwire.com/
Be sure you have your 10 hours of instruction documented by your certified instructor.
Please refer to the fairbook on page 38 for more specifics on the equipment, entries, attire, parental attendance, safety, tests, rules and classes.
Note: The 4-H Air Rifle and Air Pistol Competition will be held at the county fair fairgrounds on Monday, August 5th at 5:00 p.m.
Awards for this contest will be announced and handed out at the Cake Auction on Tuesday, August 6th.
1) must be enrolled in 4-H for the 2019 year
2) must have one entry exhibited at the County Fair this year.
1/2 of the selling price goes to the exhibitor, 1/2 of the selling price goes to the 4-H Council.
Important Information regarding State Fair Entries:
- Official State Fair Dates are August 23 – September 2
- Entry/Judging Static Entries – August 21 – 22
- Animal Entries are due August 10 by 8 PM central time ... These need to be entered by 4-H families via ShoWorks
- In person entries are due August 10 by 8 PM central time ... Presentations, Fashion Show, Contests, etc. – need to be entered by 4-H families via ShoWorks
- Static Entries will due to our local extension office by Friday August 16th. There will be a card attached to the exhibits; please read those directions carefully.
- Horticulture, Flowers and Food exhibits will also have a card - please read this carefully!
- State Fair Livestock and In-Person Entry will open on July 8th. Please use this link: https://www.statefair.org/4-h-ffa-exhibitors
2019 Nebraska State Fair Discount Tickets
The discount tickets available for 4-H static exhibitors at the Nebraska State Fair will no longer be sold through county offices. The Nebraska State Fair is developing a new discount ticket option for 4-H static exhibitors and we will share those details as soon as they are available. The Nebraska State Fair has several great NEW discount ticket options for families already available online. Please visit https://www.statefair.org/buy-tickets for details regarding options available now until midnight on August 22nd.
Performing Arts Contest
All 4-Hers and clubs exhibiting in the Performing Arts Contest can pre-enter on-line by July 15th OR you can enter with a paper copy. Enter on-line at https://cass.fairwire.com/. Enter on paper using this fillable form-click here. Band performances, Instrumental solos, duets, or combo, Song groups, Drill or Dance Routines, and Vocal or instrumental solos are all encouraged.
Would you like to be a 4-H volunteer at the Nebraska State Fair?
Do you want to spend a few hours at the state fair as an important part of the 4-H programming going on during the fair? They need your help! Nebraska 4-H is looking for volunteers to help with exhibit entry day, judging, and serving as 4-H exhibit building hosts. Volunteers will also be needed to serve as the Lil’ Green Mascot and an event photographer. We also need people to assist with all 4-H contests and events throughout the fair. State Fair 4-H volunteers will receive a gate pass for the day(s) they volunteer.
For more information go to our website at: https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/cass/the-nebraska-state-fair/
If you have questions about being a 4-H volunteer at the Nebraska State Fair, please contact: Cathy Johnston, Extension Educator, firstname.lastname@example.org or (402) 472-1762.
Campanion Animal Showmanship Contest
Go to their website to learn all about it https://4h.unl.edu/companion-animal/showmanship-contest It
Agronomy Youth Field Day
Nebraska Extension Cropping & Water Systems and 4-H Youth Development Educators along with Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture in Curtis Agronomy / Ag Mechanics Department professors invite ALL youth to this FREE Field Day to get excited about Science & Agronomy/ Irrigation / Mechanized Agricultural careers for producing Nebraska crops! Keep reading to learn more about this event ....
KUDOS to the Ag Society for fixing up the fair 4-H office. Can't wait for you to see it!
County 4-H Calendar
Aug 7-10 .... Cass County Fair 2019 Calendar
Ag Information & Other Opportunities:
- You can pick up an Open Class fairbook at our office.
- Nebraska Extension Publications ... online Library
- Sheep & Goat Production Meeting ... July 12/13 Chadron/North Platte
Nebraska Extension Cass County
Lauren Stohlmann, Extension Educator and Unit Leader, email@example.com
Katie Kreuser, Extension Educator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracy Ensor, Extension Assistant, email@example.com
Sondra Buell, Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Harlee Brauckmuller, 4-H Summer Intern, email@example.com
General Mailbox, firstname.lastname@example.org