English Translation of Enhydra Lutris
large marine otter of northern Pacific coasts having very thick dark brown fur
The Fantastic Fur of Sea Otters | Deep Look
Life as a Sea Otter
Sea otters are coastal, shallow water dwellers. Their habitat consists of two areas. he ocean floor where they find their food, and the ocean surface where they eat, groom, rest and social interactions occur. Sea otters eat urchins, abalone, mussels, clams, crabs, and snails. Sea otters have a high metabolism and eats 25% of its own body weight a day. Sea otters are not fertile after 7 years from when they are born and it begins with the male otter courting the female otter
- Sea Otters are one of the few animals that use tools. They mainly use rocks, but have been seen using glass soda bottles and cement blocks.
- Newborn pups cannot sink or dive.
- Sea Otters have built in pockets under their arms.
- A group of Sea Otters resting together is called a raft.
- Sea Otters are the only marine mammal withouta layer of blubber .
Classification for Sea Otters
Kingdom - Animalia
Phylum - Chordate
Class - Mammal
Order - Carnivora
Family - Mustilidae
Genus - Enhydra
Species - Lutris