April 3, 2022
What an absolutely beautiful weekend we had here in Houston! The weather was perfect for outdoor activities and I hope that everyone took advantage of it.
I know many of you have concerns about what took place on Thursday. As the call-out mentioned, we did have a bomb threat at our school. Please know that a shelter-in-place was the SAFEST option for our faculty, staff, and students and was done under the guidance of the district and HISD police. Our HISD Police Department, along with other law enforcement agencies responded immediately and all involved made sure that our students were safe. While none of us ever want to deal with a situation like this, I am incredibly proud of the response of our faculty, staff, and more importantly, our students. All did an amazing job of following the protocols and procedures. I also want to thank all of the parents. I know that hearing your child's school has had a threat is not easy, and I appreciate you trusting us that we are keeping your child safe. I never take that trust for granted. I will take a few minutes during the next PTO meeting on April 12 to discuss emergency protocols and procedures so that you will know how we work to keep your children safe. I hope to see you at that meeting!
Do you have an incoming 6th grader or know someone who does? Please visit our website for more information, including the elective course selection process for incoming 6th graders. We will be posting information for rising 7th and 8th graders later this month.
As always, if you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to a member of Team Pershing.
I hope everyone has a great week!
Week @ A Glance
- 8th Grade Activities Assemblies
- JJP Softball v. Stevenson @ JJP
- Mock STAAR - Math 6th-8th Grade
- JJP Baseball v. Pin Oak @ Pin Oak (Varsity)
- JJP Baseball v. Hogg & Hogg (JV)
- Mock STAAR - ELA/R 6th-8th Grade
- JJP Softball v. Pin Oak @ JJP
- JJP Baseball v. St. Francis @ Baseball USA
- Pre-UIL Band Concert
- MOCK STAAR - Science 8th Grade
- JJP Softball v. Black @ Black
- JJP Soccer v. TH Rogers @ JJP
- JJP Magnet Art Showcase
- Mock STAAR - Social Studies 8th Grade
- JJP Rugby v. Western @ JJP
- Saturday Tutorials & Enrichment
- JJP Baseball v. West Briar @ JJP
- JJP Baseball v. Black @ JJP
- April PTO Meeting @ 6:30 (Pershing Cafeteria)
- JJP Boys' & Girls' Soccer v. Tanglewood @ JJP
- SPRING HOLIDAY - NO SCHOOL
Great Things are Happening at Pershing
Attention 8th Grade Parents!
Also, April 25th will be 8th Grade Panoramic Picture Day. Please see the flyer below for more information.
Pershing Bingo Night is Back!
Donate to Pershing Bingo Night
Purchase Bingo Books for Pershing Bingo Night
- Where can I find contact information for my child's teacher? Our website directory is an excellent place to find our faculty and staff email addresses.
- How can I monitor my child's grades? HISD Connect Parent Portal is the spot! Click here for information on setting up an HISD Connect Parent Portal account.
- I have a question, but I'm not sure who to reach out to for an answer. If you have a question, you can reach out to your child's Homeroom teacher, Counselor, or Assistant Principal for assistance.
- I need to schedule a meeting with a teacher, what do I do? Please email the teacher(s) you wish to meet with and allow them 24 hours to respond. Teachers are provided with a planning period each day, so they will send you those times to schedule a meeting. You can also call the main office at 713-295-5240 and leave a message for the teacher.
- I feel disconnected now that my child is in middle school. How can I get involved? This is easy. Join the PTO and attend the regularly scheduled meetings. We also recommend you attend the sporting events, fine arts performances, and PTO events throughout the year.
Steven Shetzer, Principal
Carrie Curtis, 6th - 8th Grade & Compliance Assistant Principal
Maria Jackson, 6th Grade Assistant Principal
Tyesha Beller, 7th Grade Assistant Principal
Alberto Fernandez, 8th Grade Assistant Principal (Discipline)
Amy Ford, 6th - 8th Grade Assistant Principal (8th Grade Activities)
Grisury Candelaria, Magnet Coordinator
Hope Goodson, Dean of Instruction
Campus Support Team
Sherman Parker, 6th Grade Counselor
Enitsha Allen-Cooper, 7th Grade Counselor
Sara Graur, 8th Grade Counselor
Alesha Rushing, Wraparound Specialist
Jolynn Vallejo, CIS Social Worker