SOLANA HIGHLANDS FRIDAY FOCUS
JAN. 11 (vol. 3)
Happy New Year!
Happy New Year! I hope that 2013 brings each of you health, happiness, and fulfillment. I know that 2013 will continue to be a rewarding one for our wonderful students.
- The Great Kindness Challenge: Jan. 14-18. Don't forget to participate in the The Great Kindness Challenge Class Poster Contest
- Family Science Night for 3rd and 4th graders - 1-17 @ 5:30- We still need volunteers to run the stations (volunteers come at 5pm to learn the activity)
- Wellness Committee - Would anyone like to assist Johanna Anderson on this district committee? Most sites have two representatives. Meeting dates are Jan. 15, Feb. 26, Mar. 26 from 12:00-2:30 @ the D.O.
- The Walking Challenge - is under way and Susan Jensen is encouraging each of us to participate. Friday is the last day you can register for the 6 week challenge. Contact Johanna Anderson for more information.
- Welcome to Marcie Dart - Long-Term Guest Teacher for Ashlee Ponder
- Welcome to Jennifer Christian - Aide to help during lunch recess
- Happy Birthday - Susanna Romero-Reiss on Wednesday
- Baby Breakfast Shower - Ashlee, Karen, and Ryan (see bulletin for details)
- Keep up the visibility on supervision - wear orange vests, be on time, be aware, and keep doors and gates locked.
Beautiful Quilt for Sandy Hook Elementary
(Thank you Nancy Reitzler and participating staff)
Great Common Core Math Bulletin Board
(Nice job Kristie Mortazavi)
Our students are so happy to be back in school!
- Congratulations to Lauren Bauman who interviewed for the lead teaching position in the CDC (after school) and got it!
- Lisa Sturt - for being such a great facilitator at our SST meetings and for offering such sage advice
- Beth Lanzi - for doing such a great job filling in for Karen Frischwasser
- Joe Parsons - for always being such a team player and his ability to articulate difficult information with parents in such a calm, positive, and helpful way.
- Angie Tremble - for coming to our staff meeting and sharing some great ways to implement technology in ways that promote the 4Cs - Creativity, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Communication. What a great resource!
- Food Services - Thank you to Rocio for the delicious Mexican Pastry and thank you to Holly and Anna for being so kind and patient with all of our students.
- Healthy Staff - So many of you are walking and taking part in the after school Yoga and Walk for Wellness Challenge. So inspiring, healthy, happy, and energetic (everything great teachers need to be)!
Students are So Happy to Be Getting Books Sent Home at Their Level - Great job Staff! (Marie Schultz's Class)
In this important Educational Leadership article, Richard Allington and Rachael Gabriel present six high-quality experiences they believe all children should have every day if they are to become successful, engaged readers. These experiences are especially important for struggling readers – but tragically, they’re least likely to have these experiences.