Don Giovanni Opera- Mozart
A journey in song, and man
Biography of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was a famous musician in the early 1700s. Born on January 27th, 1756, and departed the earth on December 5th, 1791. He carried out his musical career in a variety of places but was born in Salzburg, Austria, and ended up being buried in Vienna. As well as living physically in vigorous places across Europe, he lived also in the age that was the classical era,
At a young age it was apparent that Mozart was a gifted child. He began composing pieces of music at the young age of 4 and was on concert tours at age 5 and 6. Soon he was touring around Europe with his father (Leopard Mozart) and older sister. His sister Marie Anna Mozart was also a very talented musician and toured alongside Wolfgang in many of his young-aged tours. The Mozarts in all were a very musical family. Because of that Mozart did not attend any school.
Adult years consisted of more and more composing and playing for Wolfgang Mozart. Although he was a very free spirited man, he held several positions with important nobleman and rulers, including; a prince, the archbishop, and Emperor Joseph ll. Though being a very hard worker Mozart was a procrastinator, and waited until the absolute last minute to finish composing songs. (Some times even as late a short while before the opera was set to take place!) Being such a free spirited person it was natural feeling that he wanted to be a free lance musician, and not be tied down to anyone. After working so hard Mozart would constantly spend his money leaving him completely poor at death. Needless to say he was bad at finances.
His 'claim to fame' tended to be his impeccable hearing and memory. He could attend a concert and later recite it perfectly, word for word.
Fun Facts about Mozart!
1. He composed over 600 pieces of music!
2. For most of his life he was very ill :(
3. He died of a mysterious illness when he was just 35.
4. When Mozart was just a child he had such a great fear of brass instruments that he could go as far as to faint if they were brought too close to him.
5. He had always wanted to rid himself of the patronage system in which he worked in.
6. He composed in all possible types of music in his time.
7. Although Mozart could easily play all times of instruments and do amazingly in so, he particularly excelled in operatic and symphonic compositions, and solo concertos.
8. When he was alive he did not capture much appreciation for his work!
9. Mozart was extremely critical of others work.
10. By age 11 he had been known as a child prodigy
Discussion of the Musical Era
Don Giovanni the opera
The music is usually heard in orchestra form. The original orchestra had: two oboes, two clarinets, two bassoons, two horns, two trumpets, three trombones, a timpani, first violins, second violins, violas, cellos and double basses.
Connect Music to the Present. How has Don Giovanni alive today?
As of today Don Giovanni the opera has been put into a film in 1979. This 3 hours and 5 minute movie was released November 6th, 1979, and was directed by Joseph Losey. This movie is (like the song)
based on the life of Don Juan and his strange activities that ultimately got him into trouble.
" Composing is not a very difficult thing for me. I simply copy down the music as it is in my head" - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart