February 2020 Newsletter
CUSD Indigenous Education Program
At the Chandler Care Center: 777 E Galveston St Chandler AZ 85225
5:30 pm-7:00 pm
- Wednesday, February 5
- Wednesday, March 4
- Wednesday, April 15
21st Annual Gila River Close Up Event: March 16-18th, 2020
- This event is a 3 day-civic education and leadership program for Gila River Indian Community high school students. View event description and registration form with this link.
- The event will take place at the Gila River Governance Center, the Akimel O'odham Loditha Kud Ki (courthouse), the O’odham Ha Ki, and the Four Point by Sheraton (lodging in Chandler). View event agenda
Be featured in the monthly newsletter!
U of A- Native American Science and Engineering Program
- Priority Deadline: February 14, 2020
- Regular Deadline: March 6, 2020
Community Service at the Indigenous Wellness Garden!
Mul-Chu-Tha Art and Essay Contest
In celebrating the 58th Annual Mul-Chu-Tha Fair and Rodeo, Gila River Indian Community youth (grades 4-12) are encouraged to enter the Tribal Education Art and Essay Contest!! All winners will be invited to the Mul-Chu-Tha award ceremony at the fairgrounds during Community Day on March 6, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. View application packet here.
Missing Forms: In order to receive services from the Indigenous Education Program, PLEASE get the following documentation on file:
- Title 6 and/or JOM forms for each student
- Student or family member tribal enrollment identification (CIB, tribal ID, etc.) for each student
Funding Requests: The IEP offers funding up to $600 per student each school year for summer school, SAT/ACT test registration, dual enrollment, and other select class fees.
Please contact your high school academic counselor first for information and deadlines.
Indigenous Scholarship Opportunities
- American Indian College Fund
- American Indian Education Fund
- American Indian Services
- Arizona Indian Education Association (will likely post 2020-2021 scholarship application this summer)
- Catching the Dream Scholarship
- Chandler Education Foundation: CEF has dozens of scholarships you can apply for! This website has everything you need for scholarships available to college bound students from all 5 of our core high schools, as well as ACP-Erie.
- Scholarship Databases: These are great tools for being connected to hundreds of other scholarships- Fastweb and Student Scholarships
Indigenous High School Advisors
At 5 CUSD high schools, we partner with 7 school staff to provide academic counseling to Native American students enrolled in our program, as well as sponsor the schools' Native American clubs. If you are seeking any assistance with your child’s academics, behavior, health, attendance, or other concerns, these advisors are your connection to school and community resources.
- Basha High: Nancy Spilsbury (480) 224-2264
- Casteel High: Jessica Burt (480) 424-8341
- Chandler High: Brett Parks-- Sophomores/Seniors (480) 812-7784
- Chandler High: Carole Kaitz-- Freshmen/Juniors (480) 812-7760
- Hamilton High: Amy Furrow-- Freshmen/Seniors (480) 883-5032
- Hamilton High: Margarita Jimenez Trujillo-- Sophomores/Juniors (480) 883-5274
- Perry High: Megan Driving Hawk (480) 224-2954
Indigenous Engagement Specialist - Tia Gramzinski
Gila River Advisor - Andrew Garcia
Gila River Advisor - Shelly Aday
Director of Federal Programs - Monica Romero
Administrative Assistant - Diana Moreno