Hawk Flock Family News
Hello and welcome,
If you are new to Hedden or just new to the district, I cordially welcome you. If you are an experienced Hedden Hawk family, then welcome back. I hope you have all had a great summer break and our students have had a chance to reset and recharge. Hedden staff have been working hard to get the building ready to welcome all our families and students back to school.
For those that don't know me yet, I'm Don Sims and I'm going into my 8th year here at Hedden and my 19th as part of this great community. Both my daughter and son have come up through the district starting at Discovery Primary and now attending Fife High. My perspective as a parent, community member, and educator make me confident that what we have in Fife, and specifically at Hedden, is special. We work hard to engage students in their learning while also building strong relationships.
We are excited to get the year underway and to get back to doing some of the things we have missed over the last couple of years as we were disrupted by the pandemic. There will be more opportunities for student celebrations, invitations for family/guardian involvement, and community events like Trunk-or-Treat and the Blacktop Bash. As we get back into the swing of things and adjust to the new normal, we continue to encourage everyone to monitor their health and take steps to keep yourself and those around you safe.
I'll wrap up this portion of the newsletter by encouraging you to read on for the various topics and events listed below. There is a lot of information and links for you to look at, but they really will help everyone be better prepared for the start of the year. While this is being sent to every family we have enrolled, I do ask that you check in on your friends and neighbors in the Hedden draw area to make sure they are getting communications as well.
Hedden Elementary Principal
Hedden Final Family Letter SY 22/23 .docx
-=-=-=-=- Hedden Open House -=-=-=-=-
We're excited to welcome our students and families back to campus next Tuesday. Teachers will be available for a brief meet and greet at the times listed below. This is a great time to see your classroom, meet some staff, and drop off materials.
Due to limited parking spaces we ask that families keep their visit to the time listed below.
Tuesday, August 30th
Grade Level Groups
3rd Grade: 3:00-4:30
Music, P.E., Library & Art Art Room 3:00 to 4:30
Hawks Nest: 4:30 to 5:30
4th Grade: 4:30-5:30
5th Grade: 5:30-6:30
District & Other Organizations
Food Services by the Gym
Transportation by the Office
PTO by the Library
Technology in the Main Hallway
A Few Notes:
- We have staggered the times due to limited parking & to decrease hallway congestion.
- Please limit time in any one area to allow other families to move through.
- Sanitizer will be made available in the hallways and classrooms.
- We support any persons choice to wear a mask or not. Please respect this decision as well.
Hedden's Daily Schedule '22-'23
Our process for drop off and pick will continue to be the same as last year, though we have shifted our start and end times 10 minutes earlier to better help with families who have students at Discovery primary.
Morning Drop Off, 8:55 to 9:10
1. Pull to the most forward area in the fire lane along the sidewalk
2. Before exiting the vehicle, students should have bags ready
3. 3rd grade students will use the Main Office Entry
5. 4th & 5th grade students will use the Gymnasium Entry
6. Parents and family should stay in their vehicle
7. Please be considerate of others dropping off by keeping our line moving
Afternoon Pick Up, 3:20 to 3:30
1. Post your placard/hanger (get one at Open House) on your rearview mirror to help match students to vehicles.
2. Pull to the most forward area in the fire lane along the sidewalk
3. Wait in the vehicle while your student(s) is called from the gym
4. Students should be able to enter the vehicle from the right side
5. Parents & families need to remain in their vehicle
6. NOE: Students will be called as vehicles pull up, and will not be able to cross the parking lot
School Zones and Traffic Cameras
Please, for the safety of our students and to keep your bank account healthy, watch your speed in school zones. Even if the light is not blinking, assume the camera is working. This is just a friendly heads up as Hedden and Fife School District DO NOT operate the cameras.
Upcoming Events & Dates
- Open House
- Limited Parking, please check times above
Thursday, September 1st
- First Day of School!
- Families are not able to enter the building, except by the office
- Students may enter as early as 8:55 with the late bell at 9:10
- Dismissal begins at 3:20
- Staff will be out helping students get where they need to be
Monday, September 5th
- Labor Day
- NO School
Monday, September 12th
- 1st Late Start Monday (LSM)
- All buildings begin one hour late on Mondays for staff collaboration
- Hedden will allow students in at 9:55 and classes start at 10:10