Hopkins Principal Newsletters
We have an usually cold winter this year. Please make sure to students are eating, drinking plenty of water, resting, staying warm, and staying home when not feeling well. If your child needs to be absent from school, thank you for calling our Attendance Line 510-656-3500, press 7 and then press 1.
We are thankful for our continued partnership with nonprofit organization Envirolution and Fremont-based Tesla for hosting this past Thursday's Introduce A Girl to Engineering Day. Close to 60 students participated; they engaged in engineering challenges and a factory tour. We look forward to strengthening community partnerships that expand our students' exposure to 21st century career pathways.
Incoming 7th Grade Family Webinars: We will be hosting 2 webinars next week for incoming 7th grade families to go through registration information, school resources, and time for Q&A. You can find all registration and webinar information linked on our website. Here is the page's direct link:
- Tuesday, February 28, 6:30-7:30 PM - Zoom Webinar for Incoming 7th Grade Families
- Wednesday, March 1, 6:30-7:30 PM - Zoom Webinar for Incoming 7th Grade Families in Dual Immersion Program
PFA March Meeting: Save the date for our Parent-Faculty Association's Zoom meeting on Thursday, March 2, 6-7 PM. Agenda and Zoom link will be emailed next week.
Please see below as opportunity reminders:
SURFBoardE Open Forum: SURFBoardE (a student leadership group of representatives from FUSD high schools) will be hosting an open forum this year at the District Office Conference Room from 5:00-6:30 PM on March 1st, 2023. The purpose of the event is to provide all students an opportunity to offer feedback on the topics of: campus environment, facilities, equity/diversity/inclusion, mental health, and school policies. Students will have the opportunity to speak with district staff about topics they care about and design solutions together. Interested students should fill out this form by 2/25: tinyurl.com/surfopenforum. See flyer for details.
Student Photo Contest: Mission San Jose High School's Visionary Kaptures Club is extending an invitation to Hopkins' student photographers! Theme: Love; Take a step out of your comfort zone to capture the moments around you that you feel are filled with love. It can be platonic, romantic, or anything in between! You can define what the meaning of love is for you. And remember, you don't have to be a professional photographer to submit pictures. Help spread love through your images and enter upto 10 images in this month's competition! There will be prizes awarded for the top three winners! Deadline: February 28th, 2023 11:59 pm PST See flyer for details.
UC Campus Tour for 8th Graders: Counselor Ms. Kim will be taking 20 students on a tour of the UC Berkeley campus on Wednesday, March 22. Interested students need to fill out a short application in the Main Office. Students will be randomly selected on March 1.
Lunch Supervision Parent Volunteers: We are still seeking parent/guardian volunteers to help us supervise lunchtime areas. If you are able, please complete the interest form here. If you have questions about lunch supervision, please contact our assistant principal Mrs. Jennifer Moore (email@example.com).
Our drama students' production of "The Prince and the Pauper" is tonight at 7 pm inside the Multipurpose Building. Hope your families are able to come support our performing arts program!
Our Tobacco-Use Prevention Education (TUPE) student leaders recently gave an informative and engaging presentation in our PFA and staff meetings. They will be going into classrooms soon to present and lead important discussions with peers.
Teen Vaping Awareness and Interventions: Can you find the vape pen devices in the "pencil box" picture (see below)? These days, vapes (or e-cigarettes/e-hookahs) are looking more and more like school supplies. Unfortunately, some of our own Hawks are falling victim to the tobacco industry's scheme to get our youth addicted to nicotine. Please talk to your students about the dangers of vaping. Ask them what they know.
If you know your child is vaping (or have suspicion), feel free to reach out to your student's counselor or one of the administrators. We can connect our students with district and community resources to help:
- Meg Moore, 7th Grade Counselor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amalia Kim, 8th Grade Counselor, email@example.com
- Jennifer Moore, Assistant Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nancy Kuei, Principal, email@example.com
Tobacco/drug products and sales are never allowed on campus. Please help ensure your student is not bringing vapes (or other smoking devices) to school.
Presidents' Day: In recognition of the Presidents' Day on Monday, 2/20, school will be closed. We will see you on Tuesday, 2/21.
Girls Basketball Home Game vs. Horner: Thursday, 2/23, 3-5 PM -- wear your green or Hopkins clothes to cheer on our student athletes!
Save the Dates:
- Incoming 7th Grade Family Presentation on Zoom: Tuesday, 2/28, 6:30-7:30 PM
- Incoming 7th Grade Dual Immersion Family Presentation on Zoom: Wednesday, 3/1, 6:30-7:30 PM
Wishing you a restful long weekend.
This week officially started our course registration season! 7th graders received their course registration packet on Monday. 8th graders got their forms from Mission San Jose High School counselors on Wednesday. Please make sure to turn them into math teachers, along with 2 residency proofs. See below for due dates and other details. In addition, we began to welcome elementary school students to our campus to learn about Hopkins 6th and 7th grade experience next year. Girls Basketball played our first home game on Thursday to a packed gym. Finally, on Friday, students enjoyed a fun Social, glowing while making memories together. See some of the photo highlights below.
Course Registration for 8th Graders Attending Mission San Jose Next Year: Completed and signed course registration (along with 2 proofs of residence) are due to their math teacher by Tuesday, February 14, 2023. If you missed the presentation or would like to refer back to it, please see the following resources:
- Incoming 9th Grade Parent/Guardian Info Night Recording
- Incoming 9th Grade Parent/Guardian Info Night Slides
- Frequently Asked Questions (including the questions you submitted via Google Form!)
Course Registration for Current 7th Graders: Completed and signed registration and 2 proofs of residence are due to math teachers on Monday, February 13, 2023.
- Please attach a copy of your two current proofs of residency to your registration packet. (Dated January 2023 to March 2023)
- Please note: Proof of residency should not be submitted online this year.
- Please submit copies only as we do not make copies and will not return any proofs submitted.
ELAC Meeting on Thursday, 2/16: Families of English Learners are invited to join our second ELAC meeting on Zoom at 6:30-7:30 pm. Spanish and Mandarin interpreters will be present. We will go over the ELPAC assessment, reclassification, extracurricular opportunities, and support programs. We will send out the Zoom link next week.
Girls Basketball Home Game vs. Centerville on Thursday, 2/16: Come support our student athletes at the Gym @ 3-5 pm. Wear your green or Hopkins clothes!
Drama Show on Friday, 2/17: Come enjoy “The Prince and the Pauper” by Mark Twain inside our new Multipurpose Building at 7 pm on Friday, 2/17/2023. Tickets are sold at the door at 6:30 pm for only $5.00. Students have been working on this show since August. They are really excited to share the play and all their hard work with you. Come support the local theatre!
This past Wednesday (2/1) was the Global Play Day. I enjoyed playing and learning about games that I had never heard of before this week. Students were engaged in lots of verbal communication, divergent and creative thinking with strategies and word associations, teamwork, and strengthening connections with peers. Play is also a way to take care of our social emotional well-being. Below are some of the photos that captured those moments. February is the start of busy times regarding registration. Please see below for more details:
Course Registration for 8th Grade Families Going to Mission San Jose High School: MSJ High School counselors are meeting with current 8th graders in math classes on Wednesday, 2/8, to go over high school course registration. Registration forms are due back to 8th grade math teachers on Tuesday, 2/14.
- Mission San Jose Family Presentation on Zoom, Thursday, 2/9, 5 PM: If you have any general questions for counselors to address in this presentation, please use this Google Form to submit them. This form will close on Thursday, February 8 at 8AM. For specific questions related to your student, please reach out to your student's counselor at Hopkins Junior High. MSJHS counselors cannot accommodate emails, phone calls, or meeting requests related to students not currently enrolled at Mission. The Zoom access info will be shared at a later time.
Course Registration for 8th Grade Families Going to Other FUSD High Schools: Please see important dates below. We'll share more specific information once it's available.
- American High School: Open House on Thursday, 2/23, 6-8 pm
- Irvington High School: Open House on Thursday, 2/16
Parent/Student Info Session on Tuesday, March 7, 5:15 pm
- Kennedy High School: Open House on Thursday, 2/23, 6:30 pm
- Washington High School: Open House on Friday, 2/24, 6-8 pm @ Cafeteria
Visiting Hopkins on Wednesday, 3/1
Course Registration for 7th Graders: Counseling and admin teams are visiting 7th grade math classes on Monday, 2/6, to go over registration forms. They are due back to 7th grade math teachers on Monday, 2/13.
- Zoom Office Hour with Admin Team: Thursday, 2/9, 1-2 PM - Feel free to pop in if you have questions about 8th grade course registration. We'll share the Zoom link with 8th grade families next week.
Course Registration for Incoming 6th and 7th Grade Families: Students will receive registration packets from current classroom teachers on the following dates when we will be facilitating presentations. Registration form due dates, Family Info Night dates and other information can be found here, also linked on our website.
- Blacow Elementary: current 5th graders on Feb 23; current 6th graders on Feb 24
- Bringhurst Elementary: Feb 7
- Chadbourne Elementary: current 6th graders on Feb 10; current 5th graders on Feb 16
- Gomes Elementary: current 5th graders on Feb 13; current 6th graders on Feb 14
- Mission San Jose Elementary: Feb 8
- Mission Valley Elementary: current 6th graders on Feb 9; current 5th graders on Feb 21
First Girls Basketball Home Game on Thursday, 2/9, 3-5 PM: Come support our girls basketball team! Wear green or Hopkins clothing.
Social on Friday, 2/10, 4-6 PM: "Let's Glow" is the theme. Please remind your students to respond to the Social Survey sent out by assistant principal Mrs. Moore, so our PFA can better estimate how much food to prepare. Our library will be closed after school. Students who wish to attend must drop off their backpacks at home and return to campus for the event as early as 3:45 pm. Remember to bring the ASB card to enter at no cost. Tickets are $10 (cash only) at the door without an ASB card.
Health, Puberty, and Sexuality Education: Our science teachers will be going through this important curriculum from May 18-June 1. Please see the family notification letter for more information. If you wish to opt your student out of parts or all of the curriculum, please email your science teacher by February 17, 2023.
Black History Month: February was first selected for celebrations in 1926 because it is the birth month of both President Abraham Lincoln and abolitionist Frederick Douglass. Check out this website to learn more. Recognition of Black contributions uplifts all people. Here is a link to celebratory events across the Bay Area.