From Fiordland Medical Practice
8 July 2022
Flu and Covid Vaccinations
Reading the school and college newsletters this week reminded me about additional protection available for our students and staff this year.
- free influenza vaccinations for 3-12 year olds. These are available any weekday and Saturday mornings at the Fiordland Medical Practice. Just ring 2497007 for a nurse appointment: https://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/conditions-and-treatments/diseases-and-illnesses/influenza/flu-influenza-vaccines/free-flu-jabs-1-july-tamariki-aged-3-12
- Free influenza vaccination for anyone over 65 years old, Maori and Pasifika over 55 and for those with underlying medication (including pregnancy)
- COVID second boosters are available for everyone over 50 who is more than 6 months since their last COVID vaccination or more than 3 months since their last COVID infection. People recommended to get the second booster include:
- people aged 65 years and over
- Māori and Pacific peoples aged 50 years and over
- people aged 16 years and over who have a medical condition that increases the risk of severe breakthrough COVID-19 illness and
- people aged 16 years and over who live with disability with significant or complex health needs or multiple comorbidities.
Fiordland Medical Practice are doing COVID vaccinations every Thursday afternoon. People can book their COVID vaccinations at https://bookmyvaccine.covid19.health.nz/
If they find online booking difficult, our staff can make bookings via phone. People can have their influenza and COVID vaccination on the same day.
We still have new cases of COVID and flu-like illness in our community, including people being re-infected with COVID (as is happening nationally and internationally). The school holidays provide an opportunity to boost immunity and reduce the chance of illness before students and staff come back together.
GP Director | Fiordland Medical Practice