Read All About it!
6th Grade News from Mrs. Furr and Mrs. Stegner
Welcome 6th Graders!
Take a look!
Make sure to remind your 6th graders to listen to the announcements in case there is information about clubs that they might want to join. If your child is not interested in joining a club, they can come to one of our athletic games and cheer on the wolves! Our first home football game is September 17th against Wake Forest. The entire athletic schedule can be found on our website under athletics.
We are aware that the transition from Elementary School to Middle School can be challenging. In September, Mrs. Furr will be facilitating a classroom lesson for all 6th graders on study skills. Please do not hesitate to contact us if your child is having a difficult time with his or her adjustment to middle school.
How to have a successful 6th grade year (students & parents):
1. Get plenty of sleep at night.
2. Eat a healthy breakfast.
3. Use your agenda to document homework.
4. Use a homework folder.
5. Ask for help when you don't understand.
6. Put all your stuff together the night before (in 1 location).
7. Do your homework in an area free from distractions.
8. Study a little every night instead of waiting until the last minute.
9. Make flash cards for any vocabulary words.
10. Plan ahead....don't procrastinate.
11. Attend Think Tank Tuesday.
1. Review student agenda and homework.
2. Access ParentPortal on a weekly basis to check on student grades/progress.
3. Communicate with the teacher.
4. Study with your child (while cooking dinner).
5. Check updates on teacher websites.
6. Help your child with organization and make sure they have a quiet location to do homework (preferably not the bedroom).