Steady as "She" Goes
Remaining "SHIP SHAPE" and "STAYING ON COURSE"
We are all on the SAME SHIP never forget!
A learning organization is "where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning to see the whole (reality or big picture) together - Peter Senge
Apply this moving forward! Areas to Address
Our organization being organized - processes outlined and shared
Flattening the structure does mean shared accountability, responsibility, collaboration, service, and leadership (ownership).
Shared priorities and processes
Looking inside and accepting outside
Adjusting to the currents and bracing for the storms!
We continuously adjust personally and as an organization! But we must be able to put students first.
Discovery - understanding our purposes and setting goals It has to be right for us and we have to have all information (classify and define the issue)
Confirmation - making sure those on our team agree - do we have accurate information
Map it out - we must be strategic, maneuver, educate, allocate, and execute - specify who is in charge of making things happen - have an action plan
Make it So! - Implementation - we must all move together in order to insure successes including allocating resources and people
Monitor Progress - assessment and discuss - we must always adjust
Review - we must come together in meaningful ways at strategic times
We will be faced with adversity personally, professionally, and as a collective. These storms challenge us, strengthen us - we will avoid those we can and get through those we cannot- together! Risks are involved but understand that I understand that we are all at times learning how to sail the ship!
HRL by design is to be out in front! That does not mean we do enjoy a safe harbor and make repairs when we are in port. However, we must be early adopters of technology, processes, and challenge our students and others! I do believe you are built to get out there - don't rest easy on success and don't turn back now! Full steam ahead! I just want to be sure what we have is polished and effective before we face the inevitable storms and occasional sea monster!
We will succeed because, if need be we will adjust, change direction, slow down, speed up - but we will stay on course! Attitude is almost everything. Remember its spelled W O R K not F U N but that does not mean we cannot have fun as we go and with whom we share the journey!
Its a Journey! And it Costs ...
- Account lines must reflect expenses and must be justified on a monthly basis - CHECK!
- Housing is requesting accountability for certain budget lines detailing expenses and revenues – CHECK
- Students should get a noticeable ROI and we must hold true to our debt obligations -On Going
- Budget must be built on realistic revenues CHECK
- Hold vendors accountable - On going
- Professional, innovative, hard working staff- on going!
- Quality is paramount
- Revenue rate structure that makes sense for our students and is planned based on long term growth and stability - Ongoing
- Application Fee raised to $200 (fee increase proposed for 2015 is an additional $147,000) Fridge Rental / Charge (Check)
- Cancelation fee increase from $200 to $500 (2012) Increase again 2015
- Proper billing for damages
- 12 Month Contracts offered for FDH/RAMS and assigned accordingly
- Increase camp and conference revenue by encouraging partnerships
- Shared costs with other areas of campus
- Seek grant funds
- Purchases need to be planned on an economy of scale for savings, cyclical costs, and improvements.
- Enrollment and occupancy management